How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 09-02-2021, 12:29 AM

Default Re: GUI short freeze and beachball still on 2021.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogamble View Post
There are some people here who will tell you to reinstall your OS. It doesn't fix it. I tried.
I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work for you. You are correct that it does not seem to work for everybody. But for some, it does work. I hope I don't come across as I'm pushing this as a proven solution. I clearly said YMMV.

I don't create very large session anymore as a hobbyist, but I loaded the Avid demo session which is pretty big (to me anyways) with audio tracks, midi tracks, using virtual instruments, etc. It all plays back with plugins and automation fine on my system. No freezing or beach balls.

I'm not on an M1 (2017 MBP i7). It does seem that the M1 Macs are more prone to the freezing and beachballs, but that (Mac mini with M1 and 16 GB Ram) is exactly what JFreak (corrected reference) was meticulously testing with the clean install of the OS and Protools and he reports no freezing or beach balls so far.

I agree that it is a time consuming process. Which is why I suggest if someone had a spare SSD, it might be worth a try. If it works on their spare SSD, then proceed to do the same to their primary drive. If it doesn't solve the problem with a spare SSD, then it probably will fail on their primary drive also. In which case, reverting to 2021.3 or earlier is the viable solution until the next release hopefully works. Troubleshooting is a pain and not everyone has the time or mindset for it. Do what works for you.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3

Last edited by Obsidian Dragon; 09-02-2021 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Corrected reference to JFreak
Old 09-02-2021, 02:12 PM

I'm in the same boat. I have some VERY large sessions that are so sluggish with 2021.7 that I'm about to give up. Things got much worse for me with this version. I was so happy when AVID unlocked the extra track count because a few of my sessions had too many tracks forcing me to bounce certain groups so that I could at least hear them while working. I think I will reach out to AVID again about this but I'm not hopeful. I do hope the next update will address this.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
MBP 2016 3.1ghz i7 16gb Big Sur
Pro Tools 2021.3.1
UAD Apollo 8p / Octo Satellite
Old 09-02-2021, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
Really? I constantly get the beach ball
Have you done a clean install to freshly emptied system storage? It makes a world of difference...

I myself have a fully loaded M1 Mac Mini for testing purposes. Clean install and zero trouble. Now I am quite confident my hardware has nothing special in itself, but the clean install makes wonders.
Old 09-09-2021, 11:21 AM

Bump
Old 09-10-2021, 09:19 AM

M1 MacBook Air here.
2021.7 - intermittent beach balls.
2021.3.1 - No beach balls.
Exact same machine, same plugins, same sessions.
I am *not* going to do a clean install. Waste of time.

Life is like an Analogy.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsongs View Post
Short beach ball is driving me crazy.
i confirm same here
OSX 10.14.5 - Mac Pro (Late 2013) - 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
Old 09-14-2021, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnSTL View Post
M1 (...) I am *not* going to do a clean install. Waste of time.
Suit yourself. I have clean install and no beachballs
Old 09-16-2021, 09:04 PM

(on Mac) I have this problem too, and have narrowed it down to being an issue with Waves v12. When I remove Waves from my Library/Application Support/Avid/Plug-ins folder, the problem stops. I'm using a lot of 3rd party plugins including iZotope, Plugin Alliance etc etc and they are all working fine.

When using the Waves plugins they themselves are acting slowly and strangely, with frequent SBBOD and very slow drop down menus for presets.

I'd love it if someone could confirm this. It's a major PIA as Waves is a huge part of my workflow.

And yes, I have run Waves Central's cleanup process, to no avail.

27" iMac 2017 5K Retina
40GB RAM
PT 2021.7
Old 09-16-2021, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Suit yourself. I have clean install and no beachballs
ButJanne my friend, you dont do music with large session tracks and work as a bobbyist at home. And some work in a small church or bar. You keep saying how great your system is in every thread but let’s be REAL HERE! You are a small hobby music recording local chruch choir etc so you can use 256 Buffers and a tiny amount of automations etc. The people who are pro’s and live off music NEEDS these bugs ironed out last century. And telling already irritated members ro lean install an OS on a brand new Mac is really bad as you wont get an ounce of performance difference! I KNOW as we done that on 2 trashcans -2 core, 2 Mac Pro 28 core 7.1 and as of last week 3 MBP 2020 and 2021 M1 16 GB so lets try and find the real reason instead of telling everyone who has these pretty non exotic bugs to reinstall a new computer! Why did hou do that on your small mini and your last old mac if your systems always run flawless? It is BS and lets find the real culprit!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-17-2021, 12:00 AM

Being a former beta tester I know that ONE bad behaving plugin may cause havoc to top of the line best money can buy system. So can factory install of operating system as well. Clean install is a way to go no matter which hardware and what kind of sessions.