Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2002, 02:08 AM

Default Oh My God, this is what they came up with?

I'm almost shocked. A toy, I've been waiting all this time for an hardware upgrade and 96KHz capability and they put out an EZ-bus look-alike?
No way I'm going to shell out $3000 for that, I'll keep working in the low res field with my 001 (BTW what are we 001 owners going to do with our beloved boxes without a hardware trade policy? put it on a pawnshop?) hoping that Digi makes some kind of upgrade in the converters department anytime soon. I didn't feel the overwhelming need for a controller, and if I did I would get one separate, this way I'm forced to get one from the get go and live with it.

Is this the price we pay for 96KHz?

L.G.
Old 07-18-2002, 02:13 AM

Default Re: Oh My God, this is what they came up with?

I agree. Looks pretty unimpressive to me.
Old 07-18-2002, 03:04 AM

I am also surprised!..... seeing that we get next to no information here down under. i only found out about it today and so far it hasnt done much for me. But ! i am happy with my overall purchase of my 001 factory ... Im using a yamaha 01V with mine and it works great! What more could i want .....???? 2 01V's hahaha no j/k [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2002, 06:02 AM

If digi isn't providing an upgrade path I would assume they do not consider the 001 users to be a potential market.
Also there is very little to entice an 001 user to upgrade unless they need a control surface and I certainly do not.
Firewire and higher sample rate just aren't enough to make me want to dish out a couple grand.
Honestly even if I had no DAW at all I would have to go with the 001 for the price because I already have a Mackie mixer with more faders than the 002. As far as portability the 002 is actually bigger and heavier than the 001.
Being stand-alone in not attractive because I wouldn't bring it to a gig to use as mixer. The Mackie is far better for that.
Old 07-18-2002, 06:23 AM

Location: Middle of Virginia, just far enough away from civilization to be able to relax.

What company sells you something and then, when they come up with the "new model", they'll let you give the old one back and give you a break on the new one?? I wouldn't do that if I was a large company.

People buy what they want. It's not Digidesign's fault that you spent the last year or whatever using their previous model. Matter of fact, this company makes really good audio stuff, so I am thrilled to be able to purchase this stuff. They have made me look smart a thousand times already.

What a bunch of whining bitches.

-Jhon
Mac Pro running OSX 10.5.6, using Pro Tools LE 7.4.2/Digi 003/Digi C24 w-DV Toolkit 2, a pair of Avalon 737 VT-737sp's, Great River MP-2NV, RME OctaMic II, pair of Mackie HR-824's, my best mics? a Neumann U87 and a Royer R-121 . . . best amps? Bogner Ecstasy 101B and a Bogner Uberschall-Revision Blue . . . All my drums are BFD2 triggered by Roland TD-20s kit, with live Zildjian cymbals, Korg Triton LE 88 with weighted keys . . . lots of other toys that make beautiful music . . .
Old 07-18-2002, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jhon Ackerman:
What company sells you something and then, when they come up with the "new model", they'll let you give the old one back and give you a break on the new one?? I wouldn't do that if I was a large company.

People buy what they want. It's not Digidesign's fault that you spent the last year or whatever using their previous model. Matter of fact, this company makes really good audio stuff, so I am thrilled to be able to purchase this stuff. They have made me look smart a thousand times already.

-Jhon
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Right on Bro' [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2002, 07:23 AM

"What company sells you something and then, when they come up with the "new model", they'll let you give the old one back and give you a break on the new one??"

Um, Digidesign?

When the 001 shipped, they hyped the fact that you could trade it in later if you wanted to upgrade (which you still can for TDM, look at their upgrade pages).

Digi has set up the expectation that people can trade in the 001. Now that the fine print says "sorry, you can only trade in to go TDM", it's perfectly understandable that people would be disappointed.
Old 07-18-2002, 07:46 AM

It's about time someone called the snivilers about their bitching!
Maybe there is a bitch forum over at the nuendo site , or yeah, maybe at the cakewalk site, or how about at any other site where people are bitching about the products that they buy as if it will make up for any of their own " secret shortcomings".

Heres an idea! Make a big bitchin hit, get rich, buy digi and run it yourselves!!!

Please, if you make it to the pearly gate's don't embarrass yourself by bitchin out saint peter about the lack of valet parking.

" peace and music to the world"
Old 07-18-2002, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jhon Ackerman:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Whoah!!! Jhon, your tone certainly changed since the first day you came here crying out "help me please.."

Noone asked you why you were whining then. Did they?

Opinions are just opinions. If they are not personally attacking you why the name calling?

Shame on you.
http://volcanojazz.com
http://myspace.com/volcanojazz
Old 07-18-2002, 08:34 AM

Jhon Ackerman wrote:

"What a bunch of whining bitches."

That was completely uncalled for.