Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-1999, 02:06 PM

Default Help ! test 14 test 127 ????

I wish these test numbers were listed *somewhere*

Can someone enlighten me as to what might be happening here ? Nothing has changed ! I turned on the system this evening and when starting ProTools my mac restarts just when 'loading plug-ins'. I've done a re-install to no avail.

Digitest returns : bridge i/o failed test 14, dsp farm #5 failed test 127

PTIII, 7100/66, ~100MB ram, newertech card, expansion chassis, 2 x disk i/o, 1 x bridge i/o, 5 x dsp farm, 1 x SCII, 1 x nuverb
Old 11-18-1999, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Help ! test 14 test 127 ????

peterfitz

Can you retry with Digitest 3.4 which can be downloaded from our web site. The URL to the Support/Software/Digitest Digidesign web link is here:
www.digidesign.com/serv/ftpmaps/index

Digitest 14 is a Nubus DSP memory failure
Digitest 127 is a DSP chip failure

Before testing with v3.4 try trashing the DigiSetup File, Pro Tools preference, and DAE preference. These are located in your Mac’s System Folder/Preferences folder. Drag them to the Trash, empty the Trash, then restart the Mac. When you go back into Pro Tools, do so from the Pro Tools Application Icon and not by double clicking on a session. Once Pro Tools is launched, reconfigure the hardware settings. If the same symptoms happen and Digitest v3.4 is reporting the same errors follow the guidelines below.

What has probably happened is that you've blown the muck chip on the Bridge I/O and if Digitest v3.4 reports the same thing we'll have to bring it in for repair. You can also reseat the cards and TDM ribbon cable as well for trouble shooting purposes which might work but I bet it's the muck chip. A very common way to blow this chip is when you power up the chassis after the CPU was powered on.

With the DSP farm what you can do is swap it with another farm and see if the DSP error follows it. Swap DSP farm #5 with #4 and see if the error follows the card. The error digitest is reporting is usually inherent to the card.

I turned on the system this evening and when starting ProTools my mac restarts just when 'loading plug-ins'.

Do you have to restart your MAC after it freezes, does it restart on it's own, or something else?

Brad

[This message has been edited by TechSupt2 (edited 11-18-99).]
Old 11-19-1999, 02:31 AM

>Can you retry with Digitest 3.4 which can >be downloaded from our web site. The URL to >the Support/Software/Digitest Digidesign >web link is here:
>www.digidesign.com/serv/ftpmaps/index

I'll download it and try again this weekend.

>Digitest 14 is a Nubus DSP memory failure
>Digitest 127 is a DSP chip failure
Thanks.

>Before testing with v3.4 try trashing the >DigiSetup File, Pro Tools preference, and >DAE preference. These are located in your >Mac’s System Folder/Preferences folder. >Drag them to the Trash, empty the Trash, >then restart the Mac. When you go back into >Pro Tools, do so from the Pro Tools >Application Icon and not by double clicking >on a session. Once Pro Tools is launched, >reconfigure the hardware settings. If the >same symptoms happen and Digitest v3.4 is >reporting the same errors follow the >guidelines below.
Will Do.

>What has probably happened is that you've >blown the muck chip on the Bridge I/O and >if Digitest v3.4 reports the same thing >we'll have to bring it in for repair. You >can also reseat the cards and TDM ribbon >cable as well for trouble shooting purposes >which might work but I bet it's the muck >chip. A very common way to blow this chip >is when you power up the chassis after the >CPU was powered on.

I've reseated the cards and tried the system without the Bridge I/O - same results (so maybe it's a software problem ?)
I have the system setup so that the chassis always powers up before CPU (it won't work any other way) so it's unlikely that it has been blown.

>With the DSP farm what you can do is swap >it with another farm and see if the DSP >error follows it. Swap DSP farm #5 with #4 >and see if the error follows the card. The >error digitest is reporting is usually >inherent to the card.
Yes, it follows the card. oh dear. how much is this gonna cost ?

>I turned on the system this evening and >when starting ProTools my mac restarts just >when 'loading plug-ins'.
>Do you have to restart your MAC after it >freezes, does it restart on it's own, or >something else?

It restarts on it's own.

Thanks for the quick response. I'll retry digitest and double check everything by trashing prefs etc.
Old 11-19-1999, 06:10 PM

peterfitz

I've reseated the cards and tried the system without the Bridge I/O - same results (so maybe it's a software problem ?)

Wondering what error prompt you were getting after pulling the bridge I/O out (2 x disk i/o, 5 x dsp farm, 1 x SCII, 1 x nuverb) and moving the cards down? Are you still getting:

bridge i/o failed test 14
dsp farm #5 failed test 127

Always trash the DigiSetup after removing Digidesign cards from their Nubus slots and after running DigiTest.

If the DSP error 127 is following the DSP card the non warranty price for repair is $210.00.

It restarts on it's own.
Run Norton and try launching a new session without any plug-ins installed in the DAE plug-in folder. Also what type of Third party plug-ins are you using....maybe it has something to do with copy protection?

Brad

[This message has been edited by TechSupt2 (edited 11-19-99).]
Old 11-21-1999, 08:36 AM

I took all cards out of the expansion chassis, started with 2 x Disk i/o and worked my way up. Eliminated the 'damaged' DSP Farm (looks like I'll have to get it repaired).
I added the bridge i/o and the whole system was working fine.
I added the SCII TDM and the system was fine.

I added the Nuverb card and now ProTools hangs on the "loading plug-ins : Bridge i/o"
I'll have to force quit and restart...
...after restart I try launching ProTools again and Lo & Behold it's back to the original problem. Seems that Nuverb no longer likes to be in my system. Quite why is beyond me because it's been working fine for the last two months since I got it.

I've about had enough at this point....think I'll part out the system to others with a little more luck than I....and buy a PT24/Mix....

Thanks for your help Brad.

Old 11-22-1999, 03:08 PM

I added the Nuverb card and now ProTools hangs on the "loading plug-ins : Bridge i/o"
I'll have to force quit and restart.....after restart I try launching ProTools again and Lo & Behold it's back to the original problem. Seems that Nuverb no longer likes to be in my system. Quite why is beyond my because it's been working fine for the last two months since I got it.

What version of Pro Tools are you running? NuVerb card is supported by Pro Tools 4.0 and 4.0.1. Version 1.51 of the NuVerb software should be installed after installing Pro Tools SW.
Note: The DAE Folder architecture changed with the release of Pro Tools 4.0. The "TDM Plug-Ins" and "TDM Drivers" folders were replaced by a "Plug-Ins" folder. The NuVerb installer writes to the old folders. Files must then be manually moved to the "Plug-Ins" folder.

Brad
Old 11-23-1999, 02:45 AM

>What version of Pro Tools are you running? >NuVerb card is supported by Pro Tools 4.0 >and 4.0.1. Version 1.51 of the NuVerb >software should be installed after >installing Pro Tools SW.
That checks out ok - using 4.01 and NuVerb 1.51

>Note: The DAE Folder architecture changed >with the release of Pro Tools 4.0. The "TDM >Plug-Ins" and "TDM Drivers" folders were >replaced by a "Plug-Ins" folder. The NuVerb >installer writes to the old folders. Files >must then be manually moved to the "Plug->Ins" folder.
Ah ! Now we're getting somewhere. This is the first I've heard of this. I'll move those files this evening and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks again Brad. At least when I go to sell the system it'll be working ok for the new owner.....
Old 11-23-1999, 02:14 PM

one question : what about the TDM Drivers folder ? there's a nuverb driver in there, should that be in the regular ' plugins ' folder too ?

-Peter
Old 11-23-1999, 04:49 PM
Avid

peterfitz

The files (nuverb driver/plug-in) are the ones that need to be in the DAE Plug-in folder.

NuVerb version 1.51
DAE/DSI 3.1.1
Pro Tools 4.01
Mac OS 7.5, 7.6.1 and even 8.0
Very Important: Be sure to Install Nuverb AFTER you install Pro Tools in order for everything to work properly.

Brad
Old 11-24-1999, 03:12 PM

Hi Brad,
well, all of those version numbers check out. the 2 nuverb files are in the DAE plug-ins folder.

I'm assigning minimum 16MB to PT4.01 and 64MB to DAE 3.1.1.

This is OS 7.6.1

Now what happens is that when ProTools starts up the Mac freezes on "Nuverb Plug-In". This appears *twice* in the list of 'loading plug-ins'.
I've also taken out Waveshell 2.3 to see if that helps memory but to no avail.

Could this be a simple lack of RAM maybe ?
Do you have any further suggestions ?