Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2010, 02:06 PM

Default PT 8 color palette problem

I just started using PT 8.01.

I know there have been many discussions of the new GUI, I'm fairly fine with it, I have a specific problem that I didn't find here.

I, and the people I work with, use the color palette to convey specific information about regions and tracks to each other; region A is a copy of region B, etc. When I opened sessions that were done in 7.4 those distinctions were all missing. Instead of different shades of green, all the pertinent regions were the same shade of green, not just in appearance, but by clicking on them I can see they are the same.

Is there a solution for this that I'm missing? Of course with PT I can't just open 7.4 now that I have 8 installed like I can with other DAW's. Re-installing on another system drive to see the colors seems like a bit much, hopefully that's not my only option.

Why this was changed I can't imagine, there seems to be a need to completely change the the way the color palette window works with every major release, and some minor ones. This seems to imply that Digi thinks there is no legitimate use for the colors, they're just there to make things pretty. Someone should really think about the possibility that information will be lost when opening old sessions. It is.

bb
Old 07-24-2010, 08:27 AM

Default Re: PT 8 color palette problem

The only version that allows you to import and keep track color information is 8.0.4. Before that = no joy.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:53 AM

Really? What a weird and obvious oversight.

Since I’m using a G5 here I guess this will always be broken. That’s pretty amazing.

bb
Old 07-24-2010, 12:27 PM

Yup, pretty anoying. A welcome addition that, by the way, actually works flawlessly. I'd been waiting impatiently for it for years. I was equally surprised that more people didn't seem to care that much about it either. I use them to deliniate Drum/ Guitar/ whatever tracks at a glance. I'd hate to be without it on either the mix or edit page.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:36 AM

I, too was happy to see 8.0.4 give/keep color on import - and burned that the G5's will never be able to do it. I use colors for everything.