Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2005, 09:53 AM

Default M-box mono button

Call me a fool, how does the M-box mono button work? I cannot find it in the manual. Sorry, I am a new M-box user, didn't know much about it.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:23 AM

Default Re: M-box mono button

Push the button, monitor in Mono.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:33 AM

Hi Alex,
The difference between mono and stereo
Stereophonic sound systems have two or more separate audio signal channels where the signals have specific levels and phase relationships to each other. When reproduced through a suitable system there will be an apparent reproduction of the original sound source(s). Stereo can replicate the aural perspective and position of instruments within a band on stage. A listener's proximity to a speaker or speakers of a stereo system will often determine which instruments or tones they will hear. stereophonic - Of or used in a sound-reproduction system that uses two or more separate channels to give a more natural distribution of sound.
Mono or monophonic -
A system where all the audio signals are mixed together and routed through a single audio channel, or
Sound produced by a system in which one or more microphones feed a single signal-processing amplifier whose output is coupled to one or more loudspeakers.
A mono signal output through two or more speakers will still be mono, as the same content or audible information is being produced by each speaker.

OK so sometimes when I track bass (for example) with headphones, in stereo it will only appear on the left or the right (depending on the input). Because of the phasing, it will at times sound "out of tune". When I push the mono button, it will sound "in tune", making it easier and more fun to track.
Another way to use it, is as a mixing tool.
See what the mix sounds like in mono. Is everything audible? Is something jumping out too much? (Only as a reference)

I hope this helps.
Peace,
M.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:30 AM

See page 6 of the Mbox Basics Guide

When you record a guitar (or any mono instrument that uses only one source input) you will hear the sound in only one side of the stereo field. Pushing the "mono" button on the front of the Mbox brings the sound from one side of the stereo field to both.

Or page 30 of Getting Started with Mbox

Mono Switch

The Mono switch sums the stereo signal to a mono signal (delivering that identical signal to both speakers). This has no effect on Pro tools playback monitoring or on the main outputs. Switching your stereo signal to mono is useful when you are recording a mono input while listening to stereo playback, or for checking the phase relationship of stereo inputs.

Monitoring while Overdubbing

By panning signals to the center, or using the Mono switch, as opposed to panning them hard left and right in the Headphone outputs, you can create a more focused monitor mix to help minimize distractions while overdubbing.

In situations where you are monitoring stereo microphones, stereo synthesizers, or any source pairs with a comfortable balance, you will probably not want to use the Mono switch.

Checking Phase Relationships

The Mono switch can also be used for a quick check of the phase relationship between Channel 1 and Channel 2 inputs. When the two input signals are out of phase, pressing the Mono switch will result in a sudden "hollow" sound that is the result of phase cancellation. This quick test with the Mono switch can help to avoid phase problems later when mixing these tracks. Frequent checking of phase relationships with the Mono switch can also assist you in finding the optimal microphone placement.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:17 PM

Thanks guys
I just found out the Mono button is for input monitoring only, I thought it is for stereo playback monitoring like listening to critical phasing problem. Thank you, you ppl are great!

ku-man
15 yrs experience on Cubase and 2 weeks on Pro Tools LE