Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 06-15-2002, 12:30 AM

Default Mastering singles for radio with new Waves Mastering suite.

Anyone have any tips for mastering a single for radio? I just purchased the new Waves Master suite (Linear Phase EQ, Multiband Comp, L2) and will be mastering this track by itself. What would be the best way to use these tools on a single song? Here's the song if anyone wants to give feedback..

Monty

Static Space in 192 mp3 format

http://www.liquidrecords.net/dimensi...pace192pm5.mp3

Static Space in 64 WMA format

http://www.liquidrecords.net/dimensi...space64pm5.wma

Thanks everyone!
Old 06-14-2002, 05:18 PM

Default Re: Mastering singles for radio with new Waves Mastering suite.

I wonder why I´m the first to reply... ;-)

Well, it doesn´t sound that bad, so mastering should be not that big a problem (I listened to it only through some headphones at home; there seems to be quite a lot of sub-bass going on, but maybe that´s intentional...? You may take care of that).

But: To me it sounds like a weak song that´s totally overproduced with FX and EQ/distortion gimmicks, sorry.
Towards the end the arrangement and the structure of the song gets totally confusing.
I´d work on that before thinking about pro-mastering it...

Peter
Old 06-14-2002, 07:51 PM

Default Post deleted by Digidesign

Old 06-14-2002, 09:10 PM

The track is sonically tight I'm not going to critic the music material it's not something that I listen to regularly, that don't mean nothing though, so here my 2¢. I always prefer to have material that I've mixed sent out to a mastering house. But there are times that the producer didn't calculate mastering into the budget (major mistake) anyway at that point I ask for a week (at least) break from the project and then I put my pseudo mastering cap on. Luckily most of the jobs that I've done (I can think of one that didn't) have translated well over major broadcasting mediums (radio, TV). This is a synopsis of how I go about it. I set up three listening signal paths, 1, a processing chain, 2, an A/B signal path, 3, a "reference" stereo Audio track playing back the digitally transferred commercial release.... Sorry I just realized there is alot involved and since I'm really tired (I've been in session all day) I'll be glad to email you a template session to start you off if your interested.

Good Luck
MMJ
[email protected]
Old 06-14-2002, 09:24 PM

To the previous two posts even though they might be valid from a different perspective the poster is requesting technical suggestions I don't think we've been asked to critic the creative work. I could be wrong but I think the question is how to apply the "Waves Masters" bundle plug ins in a mastering scenario... right ???

MMJ
Old 06-16-2002, 08:42 AM

Thanks everyone for answering. Well, I like getting feedback of any kind so feel free to post any opinions you would like, creative or technical. However, my focus in this thread is that I am interested in opinions on how to best use of the new Waves Master bundle on a single audio track (Linear Phase EQ, Multiband Comp, and L2 Limiter). One mastering engineer told me he doesn't use EQ at all during mastering because tonal balance issues should be fixed in the mix. However, he did say multi-band compression is usually a must. But, I would think compression issues should be fixed in the mix as well. So, I don't know. I can't find any decent books on mastering. Any suggestions? Everyone is SO secretive so they don't give away "their" signature sound. It is my understanding that mastering is the process of making the mix sound good on all mediums. You think this would be a more scientific process that writing, recording, and mixing a song but since I know very little about it maybe not.

Ok, how about this then. When mastering a single audio track:

1) What tools do Mastering Engineers commonly use and for what purpose?

2) What are common problems that Mastering Engineers typically solve? If anyone has any examples that would be nice.

3) From my understanding, it doesn't seem Mastering Engineers have much control over fixing a song. So, why are fresh ears so important? Wouldn't it be smarter maybe to have a separate mixer with fresh ears instead of a mastering engineer? A lot of musicians I like do their own mixing which I think give them their sound. Or possibly, have your mixer also be the mastering engineer? Or are we talking about two entirely different things here.

If anyone has any suggestions for books or anything where I can get more knowledge on Mastering I would really appreciate it.

I've talked to other Mastering Engineers and they say they had a hard time learning as well because no one will really shed some light on the subject and they had to learn through experience. I know this is a necessary, but experience with education (like a book to follow) would be nice.

Thanks.

Monty