Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 02-18-2020, 11:12 AM

Default PT creates empty folders by itself and doesn't allow cloud projects on external drive

Hey guys,

I was searching for an answer but couldn't find anything on the forum! I have a few questions regarding setting up custom folder paths in PT:

1. When I changed my "documentation and settings" folder path, PT copied everything to my new location. Everything was fine. After that i deleted the folders in the original location. Unfortunately after restarting PT and opening a session, 2 folders appeared again in the original location. PT basically creates them again, but they are empty. It’s „pro tools presets“ and „track presets“. When i open a project file from the cloud, PT also creates a folder called „bounced files“ in the original location. When I delete these empty folders, PT just creates them again once I open any session or project. How can i stop PT of doing that?

2. I tried to change my "project media cache" folder location to a folder on my external HDD where i also keep all my sessions. But then i get these weird error messages when i start up a new project. You can see them in the attached screenshot. It looks like PT can’t upload the local project files to the cloud when they are on an external drive. Anyone knows how to fix this?

In general I can say that I don’t want to have any files in the standard user/documents/Pro Tools folder, because my Documents folder is synchronizing with my iCloud and as I’m using it for personal stuff I want to keep it tidy.

Thanks so much for your help guys!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bildschirmfoto 2020-02-15 um 17.46.57.jpg (28.3 KB, 0 views)
Pro Tools 2019.12
8GB RAM
RME Babyface USB 2.0
LaCie d2 Quadra 3TB USB 3.0 HFS+ (used for recording and playback)
Old 02-27-2020, 06:16 AM

Default Re: PT creates empty folders by itself and doesn't allow cloud projects on external d

Am I really the only one with these problems?

Really would appreciate some help guys!

Thanks!
Pro Tools 2019.12
8GB RAM
RME Babyface USB 2.0
LaCie d2 Quadra 3TB USB 3.0 HFS+ (used for recording and playback)