Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-13-2009, 10:14 PM

Default PT8 Windows Vista starting to get errors

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 02-13-2009, 10:38 PM

Default Re: PT8 Windows Vista starting to get errors

Curious if your machine has auto updates turned on, it is on my Vista partition. We've just had a MS second tuesday of the month pushed to machines so ??

IF it makes you feel any better my PTLE8 Vista is crippled in the Midi function, since a few weeks ago. Since I have an XP config working on a 2nd drive I haven't drilled down to find a fix for the Vista, but XP works so well I'm wondering why you wouldn't want to consider going that route.

Listen, Vista looks better and in some ways performs better and I ran it for the better part of last year, but since I switched back to Xp I'm getting a lot more work done, and I run a very stable and happy LE8 on it. It's just something I turn on and trust that I can work with. Certainly not sexy or shiny but SOLID!

Wilson
Old 02-13-2009, 10:57 PM

I've been posting problem after problem for the past few days with Vista and PT8. Your errors are not far off from my 6088 errors. I haven't had good luck with PT8 yet, but 7.4 was running GREAT with Vista. You are not alone and as I search for a fix I will let you know what (if anything) I learn!
Old 02-14-2009, 02:10 AM

Do you have problems on sessions that don't use Strike? If they all do, try making any track with Strike on it inactive just to see if anything changes.

--Bill
Old 02-14-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
I know alot of people dog on Vista, but for me it has been solid up until now anyway. BUT with anything else on my PC Vista is solid.
Ya know, it really isn't that people here dog Vista unfairly.
The question as arises here on our forum is always specific to what we have in common... how does Vista compare to XP regarding use with Pro Tools and Digi hardware.

The answer provided by our intrepid DUC bleeding edge guru's, many dual booting on the exact same hardware, is that XP is far less resource hungry which is a major benefit for Pro Tools and the test numbers prove it time and again.
XP beats Vista on the same components hands down.
No one is saying Vista can't be made to function.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:23 PM

isnt vista optimized to run with 4 processors?
Old 02-14-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chongo View Post
isnt vista optimized to run with 4 processors?
Notwithstanding Microsoft propaganda, what does “optimized” even mean with respect to the operation of Pro Tools. Test after test from many independant sources with no axe to grind either way confirm XP is far more resource efficient than Vista in the arena we work in. There are those that swear by Vista and if it working for them good, but they are a minority group. Vista is prettier and more refined and dumping it may not solve all your issues, but it could be a step in the right direction.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2022 HDX
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-17-2009, 04:17 PM

Hi Benoni, as I mentioned earlier I've been struggling with very similar problems, and also no input from Digi, but hopefully that will change soon.
Anyway, because everyone always hassles me about Vista I decided to go ahead and do a clean install of XPsp3 on my Vista machine. The results were not too impressive, given the giant hassle it wast to reinstall everything. However, PT8 is working the slightest bit better for me now. At this point I seem to be able to record with h/w buffer at 128 and no errors, though at 64 there still are errors, but they are at less frequent intervals.
I can say conclusively that 7.4 worked on my machines better than 8.