Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 12-10-2008, 11:23 AM

Default Soundsnap

It looks like soundsnap.com no longer offers free downloads of user created sound effects and music.

http://www.soundsnap.com/change

The contributors want to get paid, which I don't blame them for. However, they should have understood that posting to that site and expecting payment went against the site's original mission statement.
"Soundsnap is the best platform to find and share free sound effects and loops- legally. It is a collection of original sounds made or recorded by its users, and not songs or sound FX found on commercial libraries or sample CD’s.
It was originally started by a small group of sound people from all over the world. Our common belief is that sounds and samples should be free for everyone to use in their projects, commercial or not.
Our users are a diverse mix of sound designers, sound artists, web game developers, filmmakers and music producers. Hobbyists and home video makers are welcome too.
What Soundsnap is NOT:
  • An alternative to Myspace, Limewire or BitTorrent.
  • A place to upload your band’s songs or your favourite mp3’s. Soundsnap is only for sound effects and loops.
  • A place you can upload or find sounds from commercial libraries. All sounds here are original- made or recorded by its users."
It certainly has become a good resource for the sound community. Though I guess it was a little utopian and too good to be true.

-CCH
Old 12-10-2008, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Soundsnap

it was bound to happen. the quality of most of the sounds off Soundsnap are very good and a lot of the ambiences i've found there have replaced the ambs i was using from commercial products. the site has saved me countless times and paying a fee which is a fraction of say Sounddogs or other commercial SFX libraries is very reasonable.

with the contributors they have there, i'm surprised it was completely free for so long!
Old 12-11-2008, 02:37 AM

I looked at the costs and they seem very reasonable to me.
You can still download 5 free sounds per month and the cost of 100 per month is only $29
Old 12-11-2008, 04:44 AM

Seems pretty reasonable to me. I've liked SoundSnap from the first time i saw it, good luck to them. Who knows, perhaps we'll see another totally free one appear to fill the void.....
Old 12-11-2008, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahtao View Post
Seems pretty reasonable to me. I've liked SoundSnap from the first time i saw it, good luck to them. Who knows, perhaps we'll see another totally free one appear to fill the void.....
there is http://www.freesound.org/
Old 12-11-2008, 07:08 AM

Freesound is alright, although they don't have a big variety, and many of their files are low-fi waves (think 8-bit, 8000khz).

I'm sad to see Soundsnap go paid, it happened overnight, really.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:23 AM

you could always "audition" them from the site, while routing the audio into Pro Tools...

and maybe, just maybe, hit record before you do so...