Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2009, 06:25 AM

Default Nehalem basic 8 core or faster quad ?

Using Prootools Le. Which computer would be better ? The new Nehalem 8 core 2.26GHz or Quad 2.93GHz ? Price wise the Quad is a bit cheaper but I'm willling to pay more if the 8 core has a better performance. The 8 core has a lower clock speed but according to a sales rep in France he said it would perform better than the Quad I've mentioned. I've searched this forum and looked at benchmark comparisons but opinions do differ. Some say, better get the Quad with a higher clock speed. Any opinions ?
Old 05-20-2009, 07:50 AM

Default Re: Nehalem basic 8 core or faster quad ?

i'd like to know this as well. if anyone out there has either of these (or any other mac, for that matter), please take a few minutes and run the dverb 2.0 test so we can see some numbers?

instructions are here:
http://duc.digidesign.com/showpost.p...82&postcount=1
Old 05-20-2009, 08:01 AM

I really like my 8 core, and I can't wait until I can take full advantage of all 8!!
Pro Tools 10.3.7 - 11.1.2
6GB RAM
Universal Audio Apollo Quad!!!
Eleven Rack
Focusrite Octopre MKII
Yamaha HS80s
Rockit RP5 Monitors w/ RP10 sub
Old 05-20-2009, 08:10 AM

OP, you do know that the Nehalem based Macs are based on the same server technology as used on Core i7 PC systems right? Why? Because they're the same chip! Essentially those Nehalem based MacPro are PC's in an Apple branded case with Apple hardware tweaks!! Infact, the slowest system is still faster than mine!! That's technology for you! ><

Set your mind at ease..

Currently I'm using the previous incarnation of the MacPro 3.2Ghz, it's based on Harpertown Intel Xeons, I've installed 20Gb RAM (never have too much), installed an internal RAID5 array and it's working so damn smoothly! The equivalent system based on Nehalem would probably be the Quad core based models but (at the time of writing) newer MacPro's can't have third party Raid arrays yet, you've gotta stick to Apple!! ><
Old 05-20-2009, 11:36 AM

can you guys please do the dverb test? :) i know the new mac pros have the same cpu architecture as the PC i7s. but we still have these basic questions unanswered:
  • do the mac pros with nehalems running os x outperform the i7s in windows? if so, by how much?
  • do the slower 8-core machines outperform the faster 4-core ones in pro tools, and if so, by how much?
  • do the last generation mac pros outperform the i7 machines in windows? how do they compare against the current nehalem machines?
please help us find out the answers!
Old 05-20-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg6794 View Post
can you guys please do the dverb test? :) i know the new mac pros have the same cpu architecture as the PC i7s. but we still have these basic questions unanswered:
  • do the mac pros with nehalems running os x outperform the i7s in windows? if so, by how much?
  • do the slower 8-core machines outperform the faster 4-core ones in pro tools, and if so, by how much?
  • do the last generation mac pros outperform the i7 machines in windows? how do they compare against the current nehalem machines?
please help us find out the answers!
I think it's kinda pointless for me or dougied to a dverb test, we have the last generation Mac's. Even if the results prove satisfactory those system ain't avaliable from Apple. Besides, with machines so old, I'm fairly sure dvert tests have already been done.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:01 PM

Shan posted a result for the Nehalem mac Pro recently - search his posts. Macs and Pcs are far, far closer in terms of hardware than some may be comfortable in admitting.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraNEO* View Post
I think it's kinda pointless for me or dougied to a dverb test, we have the last generation Mac's. Even if the results prove satisfactory those system ain't avaliable from Apple. Besides, with machines so old, I'm fairly sure dvert tests have already been done.
They're still available "out there" (eBay, etc.) though, and really, aren't you even a little bit curious to know the results? I know lots of other people out there are. If you don't want to do it that's fine, but I really wish someone would so we'd have some way to compare Mac performance to PC in PT. Even if you don't have the Nehalems, I want to know how those systems stack up against the current C2Q and i7 Windows systems.

Transputer, thanks, I'll search for that!
Old 05-20-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transputer View Post
...Macs and Pcs are far, far closer in terms of hardware than some may be comfortable in admitting.
Yeah, you're absolutely right!

Besides the OS running on the platform. The hardware is pretty much a PC, the architecture is pretty much identical. Shedding the case to examine the 'logic board' (mobo), there's the familiar north and south bridge manufactured by intel plus some additional controllers for the hardware monitor and various bits. If you flip the board over there's even a Realtek sound chip as those found on regular PC mobo's.

Basically, to put it blunt. A Mac is just a glorified PC that's been embellish with a fancy custom case, branded by some corporation and sold with it's own operating system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg6794 View Post
They're still available "out there" (eBay, etc.) though, and really, aren't you even a little bit curious to know the results? I know lots of other people out there are. If you don't want to do it that's fine, but I really wish someone would so we'd have some way to compare Mac performance to PC in PT. Even if you don't have the Nehalems, I want to know how those systems stack up against the current C2Q and i7 Windows systems.

Transputer, thanks, I'll search for that!
Tell ya what, i'm a noob when it comes to PT (i'm still trying to work out how I can do stuff) Explain to me how I do this test and when I have time. I'll run some tests on my system. How's that suit you?
Old 05-20-2009, 09:32 PM

wouldnt the Mac system be better because of the ability to use more than 3 gig of ram?