Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2005, 06:25 AM

Default Is PT LE stable with another DAW on the same G5?

I have a dual 2.0 G5 with 2.5mb RAM and currently run DP 4.5 with a MOTU 828. I am considering adding a Pro Tools LE system to my set up -- either an MBox or 002R. Most likely the 002R. Anyway, is PT stable when two different FW interfaces are connected at the same time? Am I asking for trouble having MAS and AU plug-in and VIs loaded along side the RTAS plug-ins on the same hard drive? I'm not trying to use them as the same time -- just use them for different projects at different times (and to get comfortable with another DAW!) I know many people use Logic and DP to compliment a PT rig, but I do not want to use the 002R as an interface with DP. I want to keep using the 828. Anyone doing something like this?

Thanks for any input!
Old 03-21-2005, 10:17 AM

Default Re: Is PT LE stable with another DAW on the same G5?

I use DP 4.5 as well, but I've been using Digi's Core Audio (when it works with DP) and the 002R. I have AU, MAS, VST, and RTAS versions of all of my plugins installed. There doesn't seem to be any conflict in OS X. I actually make it a requirement for any plugin I buy to have both RTAS and AU or MAS versions so I can use them in both PTLE and DP.

I haven't tried a 2nd FW interface. I'm considering getting the M-Audio Audiophile 192 (PCI buss, not FW) just for DP, but haven't bought it yet.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:53 PM

Good point about the plug-ins. Anyone else with experince running two different audio interfaces (not at the same time) on two different DAWs (specifically PT LE)??
Old 03-21-2005, 10:41 PM

I have not encountered any issues that could be attributed to having other firewire interface drivers loaded on a machine. My work iBook has practically every firewire audio interface driver available loaded onto it ( no kidding ). It is still one of the most stable Macs I use. I wish my G5 was as stable.

G5 Dual 1.8 /1.5 Gb Ram
OSX 10.4.7
PT LE 7.3 cs1
DIGI 002
Waves Ren
Sony Bundle
Soundtoys-arama
NI Komplete 3
Old 03-22-2005, 09:32 AM

I switch back and forth between a PTLE/MBox rig and a Deck/M-Audio Sonica Theatre setup on my iBook, and it kicks a**. No problems at all yet, although I rarely use up the 32 voices as so far it's been mostly mixing for film. When I do compose I use Reason, which runs off of the digi core audio through the MBox (whether I'm running PTLE or not - I actually find the rewire to be less useful for my purposes than maybe it should be).

Cheers,

Scott