Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2004, 01:20 PM

Default help with waves platinum

so i got waves platinum and now i need a crashcourse. what plug ins are going to be most useful in making my recordings sound professional? and how should i use them?
Old 12-16-2004, 02:06 PM

Default Re: help with waves platinum

This may sound trite, but what you use and how you use it depends on what you want/need. Seriously, there are a ton of great tools in that bundle, but you need to learn to walk before you run so ease into it as you learn the art of recording. Learn to get good tracks that don't need a lot of work to be presentable (in other words, don't expect Waves to make up for poor technique). The Q parametrics are great for tone shaping(I rarely need more than 3-4 bands). The comps are also good but add latency that you may or may not need to adjust for(I'm stuck on my Bomb Factory 1176). Rverb and TrueVerb get used on every session I do. I send my drum tracks to a Trueverb room, and Rverb goes on snare(sometimes) and vocals. Another Rverb goes on any instruments that need it. The de-essers are also great. L2 and C4 are killer mastering comps(but I leave mastering to a seperate session if I do it myself). Those are the staples and the rest I refer to as cheesewhiz. Sometimes I need cheesewhiz and sometimes I don't.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-16-2004, 02:19 PM

Hi Andy,
your question is a bit like asking 'how long is a piece of string?'
The Waves Plat. bundle is loaded with everything you need, compressors, reverbs, delays, EQ's, limiters ..etc. If your spending that amount of money on plugins you should already have a fair idea of how comps,rverbs, eq's etc work so there shouldnt really be a problem.
The version i bought also came with good documentation on the plugs, some tutorials and explanation on presets etc.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:15 PM

www.sound.org
Old 12-16-2004, 07:42 PM

the tracks i have are solid, they are recorded through a nice condensor mic and everything. i jsut want to know what i need to do to make them sound radio ready per se. any mastering or post recording work i've done with the original plug ins and a bf1176 compressor sound nice but not the quality i would like, so now that i have this i want to know what i can do to boost uo the sound quality even more.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:29 PM

The mastering edition comes with the platinum bundle. From memory it includes the L2, linear phase EQ, and linear MultiBand compressor. There should be a .pdf on these plugs that explains what they do and how to apply them to mastering. I just loaded a few of the recommended presets and then adjusted them to taste from there. I guess its just a matter of experimenting and you'll quickly get the hang of what works and what doesnt.
Also have a play with the S1-imager, you can get some great spacial results with it.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:23 PM

Quote:
so i got waves platinum and now i need a crashcourse. what plug ins are going to be most useful in making my recordings sound professional? and how should i use them?

I just got the Waves Platinum Bundle and it came with a tutorial cd that explains the use of each plugin as well as what not to use each for. Did you get a tutorial cd with your purchase?

You may want to visit the Waves Forum as well. The staff from Waves monitor that forum and are responsive and helpful..

Enjoy!!
www.readyacoustics.com