Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-18-2010, 05:34 AM

Default MOBOX 3 PRO Breakout Cable

Can anyone tell me,

How long is the break out cable that comes with the MBOX 3 PRO?

Thanks in advance

SBS
Old 12-18-2010, 07:16 AM

Default Re: MOBOX 3 PRO Breakout Cable

It's about 6 to 8 inches I would say. I haven't connected it to my Mbox yet, but its not bad.

Dell XPS 420 Desktop
Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40Ghz - 3 Gigs of RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Dell Vostro 3700 Laptop
Core i5 M 520 @ 2.40Ghz - 4 Gigs of RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate 32Bit

Pro Tools 9
003 Factory
Old 12-18-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzlow View Post
It's about 6 to 8 inches I would say. I haven't connected it to my Mbox yet, but its not bad.
Thanks... I am trying to make location plans and need to connect my 11R to it via the Breakout cable...

SBS
Old 12-18-2010, 08:14 AM

Just out of curiosity, how where u going to connect it? The break out cable doesn't have optical in's or outs if that's what you where hoping for. It just has MIDI, clock, and spdif. Just wanted to give you a heads up in case you didn't know that.

Dell XPS 420 Desktop
Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40Ghz - 3 Gigs of RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Dell Vostro 3700 Laptop
Core i5 M 520 @ 2.40Ghz - 4 Gigs of RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate 32Bit

Pro Tools 9
003 Factory
Old 12-18-2010, 01:16 PM

Actually that's fine because the 11Rack doesn't have optical either. It has spidf which will work perfectly with his breakout cable.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzlow View Post
Just out of curiosity, how where u going to connect it? The break out cable doesn't have optical in's or outs if that's what you where hoping for. It just has MIDI, clock, and spdif. Just wanted to give you a heads up in case you didn't know that.
Thanks I was told to use SPIDF for the Wet 11R

SBS
Old 12-18-2010, 08:00 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by "wet" 11R. If you want to use the 11R there's a couple of ways to do it.

1. You plug your guitar into the rack, with spidf out going to the Mbox Pro spidf in. Set up an audio track and record the processed signal.

Or...

2. If you decide you want to use the Mbox Pro's DI and a/d converters instead of the 11rack's, you set up an aux track that's bussed to an audio track. On the aux track, you set up an insert with the eleven rack. The signal goes through the processing and is recorded (processed) onto your audio track. In this case you will need spidf going both ways. Doing it this way makes your 11R function as a hardware effects device, similar to a reverb unit, etc.

By the way, you may already know this, but going by the looks of that breakout cable, it appears to be a female spidf jack, which is also what's on the 11R. So you will probably need to get 2 actual spidf cables to go each way.

You can get good Monster ones cheap on amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-IDL100...2&sr=8-1-spell

You can choose which length you want.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "wet" 11R. If you want to use the 11R there's a couple of ways to do it.

1. You plug your guitar into the rack, with spidf out going to the Mbox Pro spidf in. Set up an audio track and record the processed signal.

Or...

2. If you decide you want to use the Mbox Pro's DI and a/d converters instead of the 11rack's, you set up an aux track that's bussed to an audio track. On the aux track, you set up an insert with the eleven rack. The signal goes through the processing and is recorded (processed) onto your audio track. In this case you will need spidf going both ways. Doing it this way makes your 11R function as a hardware effects device, similar to a reverb unit, etc.

By the way, you may already know this, but going by the looks of that breakout cable, it appears to be a female spidf jack, which is also what's on the 11R. So you will probably need to get 2 actual spidf cables to go each way.

You can get good Monster ones cheap on amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-IDL100...2&sr=8-1-spell

You can choose which length you want.
Thanks.... Good information ....

I did mean processed sound when I said wet. So I would only need the one cable going from the SPDIF out of the 11R to the input spdif of the breakout cable if I wanted to record the proceesed 11R guitar sound into its own track through the MBOX3?

Thanks again...

SBS
Old 12-19-2010, 04:56 PM

Yes, if you're doing it that way. However, if you wanted to have the 11R clocked by the Mbox, then you might need another cable going the other way. I could be wrong though. You might still be able to do it with just the one cable.

As to why you might want to clock off the Mbox - since it's a newer converter and clock design, it might slightly improve the sound of the 11R.

Since those cables are so cheap on amazon, I would just get a second one just to have handy.

You can buy cheap brand spidf cables, but since the price on those is so good, I figure you might as well go with Monster quality.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Yes, if you're doing it that way. However, if you wanted to have the 11R clocked by the Mbox, then you might need another cable going the other way. I could be wrong though. You might still be able to do it with just the one cable.

As to why you might want to clock off the Mbox - since it's a newer converter and clock design, it might slightly improve the sound of the 11R.

Since those cables are so cheap on amazon, I would just get a second one just to have handy.

You can buy cheap brand spidf cables, but since the price on those is so good, I figure you might as well go with Monster quality.
Thanks I did order 2....

Much appreciated and have a nice holiday...

SBS