Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 08-27-2021, 01:20 AM

Default Re: Carbon and Mac Pro 5,1 compatibility

just a quick follow-up:

I received my Carbon yesterday and hooked it up to my trusty MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2013) with 4GB RAM running Catalina 10.15.7 with an Apple Thunderbolt to ethernet adapter.

Simultaneously recording 16 tracks yields a total CPU usage of 4% and the UI feels snappy, this is with Mail open and a dozen tabs on Chrome.

now I only need to find a AVB compatible ethernet card for my studio hackintosh, mhhh.

Happy Camper!
Old 08-27-2021, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martthie_08 View Post
just a quick follow-up:

I received my Carbon yesterday and hooked it up to my trusty MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2013) with 4GB RAM running Catalina 10.15.7 with an Apple Thunderbolt to ethernet adapter.

Simultaneously recording 16 tracks yields a total CPU usage of 4% and the UI feels snappy, this is with Mail open and a dozen tabs on Chrome.

now I only need to find a AVB compatible ethernet card for my studio hackintosh, mhhh.

Happy Camper!
That's good, thanks for reporting back.
Old 12-31-2021, 01:21 PM

Here is the one I use for my Mac Pro 5,1
https://www.sonnettech.com/product/s...pcie-card.html
It gives me AVB with no issues when connecting to Carbon
Old 03-07-2022, 06:43 AM

Hello,
I'm using a Mac Pro 5.1 with Mojave and a Sonnet Solo G10E ethernet card that supports AVB.
When starting the Mac, the Carbon interface is recognized and available in the system preferences.
The sound comes out well but after about two minutes, the connection fails.
I can't find a solution that the connection is stable.

Do any of you have an idea to fix this?
Old 03-07-2022, 06:48 AM

I had exactly the same problem with this card with my hackintosh and gave up after wasting two days of my life trying to get it to work on Catalina and Big Sur.

You can search for my posts on https://www.hackintosh-forum.de/ if you are interested.

I finally got it to work with a patched Titan Ridge Thunderbolt card and the two Apple adapters.
Old 03-07-2022, 07:17 AM

Ok thank you very much for this answer!
This will save me a lot of time (I've already spent my whole Sunday there)
Old 06-20-2022, 01:04 PM

Very informative thread! I don't want to hijack it as this is slightly off topic but has anyone managed to get AVB working with the S3 on a 5,1 using a PCIe card?
Old 01-02-2024, 05:13 AM

Hello all, Hope this next rotation around our Sun (2024) finds you all well .

I have a small saga . And would appreciate if someone can help me out;

I just purchase Carbon with the Ultimate Pro Tools DAW. Mys System is a

Mac Pro Tower 5,1 running open-core Monterey 12.7.1. Avid Carbon running Pro Tools Ultimate DAW. Avid Carbon Hardware currently attached to Mac Pro Tower 5,1 via Sonnet McFiver PCIe Card 10GBASE-T Ethernet Port, but the Carbon unit is not locking to the Mac Currently. the NET light on the Carbon unit is not appearing & in the Mac's Audio MIDI Setup/Show Network Device Browser, Carbon does not appear. In System Preferences/Network Thunderbolt Bridge is Self-Assigned IP, but in Advance setting Thunderbolt Bridge is Inactive, yet on the same screen under Interface PCI Ethernet Slot 4 (McFiver PCIe Card 10GBASE-T Ethernet Port) is Active. At first when I installed the McFiver PCIe Card with 10GBASE-T Ethernet Port - when ever I placed any Ethernet cable in this 10GBASE-T Ethernet Port, it would lock the computer up. Then I found a work around for this via 'https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mp3-1-5-1-macos-12-3-oc-oclp-problem-with-10g-adapters-aquantia-chipset-solved.2395959/.' After following the instruction (using Clover Configurator to add two .kext files to the EFI/OC/Kexts folder and using BBedit to add code (provide on the site) to the config.plist (within the the mounted EFI/OC/config.plist) - This corrected the locking up of the Mac when attaching an Ethernet cable to the Sonnet McFiver PCIe Card and in System Reports it shows that the Sonnet McFiver PCIe Card is AVB SUPPORTed successfully. But Still in the Mac's Audio MIDI Setup/Show Network Device Browser, Carbon does not appear. And In System Preferences/Network Thunderbolt Bridge is Self-Assigned IP, but in Advance setting Thunderbolt Bridge is Inactive. Any help would be very appreciated as my next set is to install a Mac Flashed GigaByte GC-Titian Ridge 2.0, (then spend more money on either a
Sonnet Thunderbolt AVB Adapter or OWC OWCTB3ADP10GBE Thunderbolt 3 10G Ethernet Adapter) and I really 1) don't want to spend the money if there is a solution and 2) I would need to pull out a RME Card that works really well from the that PCI to accommodated the space for the GigaByte GC-Titian Ridge 2.0. - thanx BKS
Old 01-02-2024, 05:57 AM

Happy 2024!

This is a completely unsupported configuration, but I guess you know that. Even if you do get it to work, what are you going to do when it fails mid-project?

Anyway, I can't help much, but have you checked that the Ethernet port is connecting at 1Gb/s - the Carbon only has a 1Gb/s port. I assume you are connecting the Carbon directly to the Ethernet adapter in the Mac - no hubs/switches? Have you tried another known working Ethernet cable? Cat 5E up. (I use a Cat 6 and a Cat 8).

None of this should have anything to do with "Network Thunderbolt Bridge" as far as I can tell, as you are just using the Ethernet port on the PCIe card, so you aren't bridging across a TB port (which you would be if you were using a TB/Ethernet adapter).

The only working 5.1 / Carbon config listed in this thread uses the Sonnet Solo10G PCIe card and even that is flaky. If you go down the TB card + TB/Ethernet adapter, you're treading another unproven path.
That OWC TB/Ethernet adapter is not supported either - if you are going to buy one, either use the Apple TB2/Ethernet dongle, (or the Apple TB3/2 and TB2/Ethernet double-dongle), or the Sonnet AVB adapter https://www.sonnetstore.com/products...lt-avb-adapter

Good luck!

Dominic

Last edited by dominicperry; 01-02-2024 at 06:07 AM.
Old 01-02-2024, 06:41 AM

fwiw the only way I could get the Carbon running reliably on my hackintosh was with a flashed titan ridge and the double Apple adapters.