Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2009, 09:40 PM

Default Pro Tools HD 8 with UAD 1 Cards actual performance?

Hi Guys,

I am sure that this can be solved easily by someone who knows there stuff with UAD1 & HD 8. What I (and others I suspect) need is some definite answers about the UAD cards so we can sell or keep.

There seems to be a lot of posts re peoples particular problems but I would love a general set of specs of what these cards can and can't do on HD8.

I have moved from Cubase 4.1 to HD 8 and the UAD latency is a real issue. Latency is also determined by your hosts CPU power?, so mine is Dual G5 2GHZ. I have discovered via DUC and by trial an error with the UAD 5.2 (thank god I didn't delete this version!) pro tools buffer tab is that -

- If I use the latest drivers (5.4) it creates a massive delays on plugins, if you run at 512 samples (in tools). This is as we know the doubling of the buffer size in the UAD card. The delay is just within ADC's boundaries for tracks. As far as I can tell this means that if you use the latest software you are limited to 1 UAD plug per track and you'll never get one on a AUX (sub group).

- if you use version 5.2 and cheat the buffer size to half of HD 8 256 samples i can squeeze 1 UAD plugin on a group, but if add a plug of reasonable delay on a track thats feed to the group its over the ADC amount.

- When mixing I always set the buffer to 1024 for power and stability that means the UAD card is useless as the ADC can't cope. Is this actually the case?

What I need answered is :

1. Is there is no stable solution to make the cards work on HD and function just like any other plug (be it with large delays)?

2. Am I missing something major? (apart from upgrading to PCIe HD and UAD2).

It seems a shame as I have 6 cards in 2 different studios thats are amazing tools for the power and sound and I really don't want to sell them for TDM plugs......yet.

Thanks tko
STL Audio
www.stlaudio.co.nz
Old 10-03-2009, 01:49 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools HD 8 with UAD 1 Cards actual performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL Audio View Post
Hi Guys,

I am sure that this can be solved easily by someone who knows there stuff with UAD1 & HD 8. What I (and others I suspect) need is some definite answers about the UAD cards so we can sell or keep.

There seems to be a lot of posts re peoples particular problems but I would love a general set of specs of what these cards can and can't do on HD8.

I have moved from Cubase 4.1 to HD 8 and the UAD latency is a real issue. Latency is also determined by your hosts CPU power?, so mine is Dual G5 2GHZ. I have discovered via DUC and by trial an error with the UAD 5.2 (thank god I didn't delete this version!) pro tools buffer tab is that -

- If I use the latest drivers (5.4) it creates a massive delays on plugins, if you run at 512 samples (in tools). This is as we know the doubling of the buffer size in the UAD card. The delay is just within ADC's boundaries for tracks. As far as I can tell this means that if you use the latest software you are limited to 1 UAD plug per track and you'll never get one on a AUX (sub group).

- if you use version 5.2 and cheat the buffer size to half of HD 8 256 samples i can squeeze 1 UAD plugin on a group, but if add a plug of reasonable delay on a track thats feed to the group its over the ADC amount.

- When mixing I always set the buffer to 1024 for power and stability that means the UAD card is useless as the ADC can't cope. Is this actually the case?

What I need answered is :

1. Is there is no stable solution to make the cards work on HD and function just like any other plug (be it with large delays)?

2. Am I missing something major? (apart from upgrading to PCIe HD and UAD2).

It seems a shame as I have 6 cards in 2 different studios thats are amazing tools for the power and sound and I really don't want to sell them for TDM plugs......yet.

Thanks tko
STL Audio
www.stlaudio.co.nz
Hi,

Not sure where you've been getting your UAD delay figures from! but i'm using them and here's the figures...

With the latest version of the UAD software 5.4.1 the latency is exactly the same as your host buffer setting! so if you say you are running with your buffer at 1024. then thats the latency of 1 UAD plugin. with your delay compensation set to its largest you'll get 4096 delay comp!! this should give you 3 uad plugs within ADC range, with your buffer at 1024. if your buffer was at 512 then you would get 7 UAD plugins within ADC range.

I'm using them all the time with my buffer at 512 and they are much the same as any other RTAS plugin.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:00 AM

Chris,

If I could my system to do that I would be happy.

Are you on a UAD 2 tho?

If not can list your system and specs.

Many thanks Troy.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

Not sure where you've been getting your UAD delay figures from! but i'm using them and here's the figures...

With the latest version of the UAD software 5.4.1 the latency is exactly the same as your host buffer setting! so if you say you are running with your buffer at 1024. then thats the latency of 1 UAD plugin. with your delay compensation set to its largest you'll get 4096 delay comp!! this should give you 3 uad plugs within ADC range, with your buffer at 1024. if your buffer was at 512 then you would get 7 UAD plugins within ADC range.

I'm using them all the time with my buffer at 512 and they are much the same as any other RTAS plugin.

Chris
Also Chris,

how does this work @ 1024 for plugs?

Cheers Troy.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:34 AM

Hi, I am also really interested to know how the UAD1 performs with PT HD 8.0.4. Running an UAD-2duo right know everything works great but as I use the UAD plugs less now since moving to PT HD I am thinking to sell my UAD2 and just have a UAD1 card for a few plugins I can´t live without , 1176LN...
So is it a big difference in performance behaviour between UAD1 and UAD2 in PT HD8?
Old 07-29-2010, 01:13 AM

I'm using a UAD-2 Quad in my HD2 System. I don't get any problems when I set the ADC to LONG. This is really Important.

On Large projects I have be careful about how many UAD plugs I use on Aux faders because of the Voices and Latency. ADC cannot cope when I chain together the Aux faders though.

I find using UAD and TDM and Native to be the path forward. Combining all forces.