Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 07-18-2022, 07:34 AM

Default Re: Delay Compensation Limit woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
is that PT fault?
Some kinds of processing require large amounts of latency, that’s not iZotope’s fault. Same with Pro Q-3 in linear phase (I’ve wanted to use this a few times in PT and have been unable to). Same with Spiff (needs large look-a heads). There are loads of plugins which I can’t *really* use in a mix in PT which other DAWs can run absolutely fine. Not great considering PT is the most expensive of the lot…
Old 07-18-2022, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
The answer is simple and has been repeated on DUC a lot in the past. The hard limit come from HDX/DSP design. If you want to change stuff there it's likely invasive/will take a lot of work. If Avid changed this on native then their native product would be "better" than the flashship HDX product.
That ship has sailed, frankly.
Old 07-18-2022, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JingleDjango View Post
That ship has sailed, frankly.
Not according to the shipbuilder...
Old 07-18-2022, 03:41 PM

I think we agree.
Old 07-18-2022, 03:46 PM

Old 03-20-2023, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
These huge delay comp buffers are happening because plugin developers are using either more processing cycles or longer look ahead buffers in their plugins now. And then users are stacking them. There has to be some limit. If you hit play and hear nothing for 5 secs, would that be ok? Eventually we'll get there....
Actually, that would be perfectly ok by me (could be a user option to set the limit) since I only add those latency-heavy plugins at the end of my mixing sessions.
I'm doing radio and always on a tight schedule so I don't have time to hunt down and recalibrate this manually (don't even know of an effective way to do that), so either I won't use the plugin or I can live with some discrepancies when using it on speech channels.

In my system the limit is approx. 32000 samples that's not even a second. It's way too low.
Old 03-20-2023, 06:43 AM

I find these overly big latency discussions boring, sorry for all of you I just kicked where it hurts. PT is first and foremost realtime and some of the guys are complaining 64 samples latency is too much yada yada.

Let's gice Avid a little time to get this small issue called Apple Silicon native processing transition over, then there may be new features, like virtually unlimited latency compensation and such.

The perspective is this. HD systems had 4k latency compensation which could not have been used for tracking. HDX quadrupled it to 16k. What's the next step? Wait and see.
Old 03-20-2023, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
The answer is simple and has been repeated on DUC a lot in the past. The hard limit come from HDX/DSP design. If you want to change stuff there it's likely invasive/will take a lot of work. If Avid changed this on native then their native product would be "better" than the flashship HDX product.
Ok, so it needs something very simple like- "If audio engine=HDX, then apply delaycomplimit, otherwise, nodelaycomplimit." Not exactly earth-shattering, but I presume it will take Avid 10 years to get there. Also it's time to be honest, the idea that HDX is flagship in 2023 is just ridiculous.
Old 03-20-2023, 02:08 PM

And then somebody bringing a session into a high-end HDX studio rig will have things failing that worked on their home rig with a 2i2 interface and Pro Tools Intro. Not sure Avid would live with that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ But yes I agree it's increasingly silly/embarrassing that HDX with all it's limitations is the flagship. Oh well that is innovator's dilemma.

For many of us it's not a problem as we can keep very high latency plugins on the main outputs. If you are using Pro Tools and it's a problem for you maybe switch DAWs, you can likely do that much faster than I expect Avid to ship a new generation of HDX with possibly larger delay comp., or for you to convince Avid they should break limits with HDX--folks have asked for this for around a decade already and it ain't happened.

And if you are using H/W inserts or possibly otherwise seeing odd 2K or 4K additional latency and stuff just not lining up that may be related to a known bug. (which might help blow the 16k delay comp limit). Try disabling LLM if that is suspected of happening.