Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)

Old 02-03-2014, 06:58 PM

Default What company takes responsibility for fast track usb first generation??

Bought a used first generation fast track usb. The Studio Guitar package. Having issues with hum out of RCA lines out. Go to m-audio and post question there and get message ..

Code:
 As you may be aware, M-Audio was recently acquired by inMusic brands. The following products were not included with this acquisition, and will be marketed, sold, supported and serviced by Avid moving forward: 

· Fast Track USB 
· Fast Track 
· Fast Track Pro 
· Fast Track Ultra 
· Fast Track Ultra 8R 
· Fast Track C400 
· Fast Track C600 
· Mobilepre USB 
· Mobilepre S
M-audio doesnt want to have anything to do with first generation and from the description of this room neither dows AVID..
Quote:
For Mbox Family (3rd gen), MobilePre (2nd gen) , Fast Track (2nd gen), and the new Fast Track Solo and Duo on Windows OS.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:31 PM

Default Re: What company takes responsibility for fast track usb first generation??

The hum will either be pickup from the guitar, a ground loop or faulty hardware, you should troubleshoot guitar pickup and ground loop problems. If you need help doing that you should describe exactly (make/exact model) what gutar and pickups are used and all the things are connected to the interface and decide the exact cables/connector types used. Is the noise on both L and R channels? When does it appear? Does it increase/decrease if you change different volume levels? Does it appear in the headphones? Try different USB ports on the computer and try a different computer in case the noise is coming from the USB power supply.

If you have a faulty Fasttrack interface purchased used then it is not worth repairing and you should either try to return it to the seller or junk it.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:35 AM

Default Re: What company takes responsibility for fast track usb first generation??

That might make sense If not for the whole story.It hums alright but heres the rest of the story.It will hum but If theres no sound input after 15 seconds or so the hum goes away. Play some music and the hum comes back.Stop playing music and wait ..15,14,13,....... hum goes away.

I say music but any sound signal will make it hum then when there is no signal after 15 seconds the hum goes away.Repeat and rinse.105% repeatable. Not a now and then thing.

I have eliminated stereo receiver as cause as I would think If It were the cause it would hum non stop.The same with hum caused by ground.

The mic preamps dont hum but they are noisy as hell.Head phone out puts are clean.No noise.

Now I dont know If the line out preamps has some sort of noise filter or something that is kicking in.It doesnt say in spec sheet. Say after a certain amount of time If no audio input is detected the preamps shut down or drops down to lower voltage ,as this is what this chip is mainly designer for...low power usage, and the hum goes away.Detects incoming sound and opens up and here comes the hum.

I found a page where a guy repaired his fast track,not sure what generation it was.A close up pic of the board .The pre amps used in it were National Semiconductor LMV722M's. These chips were designed for cell phones,laptop and tablet.Anything with low voltage need.Not for there sound quality.Which explains why this things mic preamps are noisy as hell when turned up.
This chip has no place in a device that is meant for recording studio quality.
Heres pic...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/anachro...7623545569785/

Spec sheet on chip.Now Im no electrical engineer so the spec sheet doesnt really mean anything to me.Just a bunch of figure I dont understand but the part of recommend applications ,cellphones,laptops,etc caught my eye.
http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/Products/ProdDS/842961.pdf

Now of course If something Is faulty with unit,a bad pre amp or something Im not going to send in something I paid $30 for to get repaired.The thing in my opinion is a piece of junk marketed as studio quality which it is not.
Now Im not talking about all fast track devices but this one. Dont have any experience with newer or higher end versions.Fast Track Pro,Ultra,etc.
For what they would charge me to "repair" I could probably pick up a good used Presous or Focusrite scarlet.

Truth it did serve it's purpose.A way to let me try out Pr Tools to see what its work flow was like.My judgment on that??Ill stick with Reaper. I like it much better then any of the other windows DAW's I have tried.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:20 AM

According to the Avid End of Support date, the Fast Track USB should be supported until the end of 2014: http://avid.force.com/pkb/KB_Render_...EA0&lang=en_US

And yes, Avid retained the Fast Track devices when they sold off M-Audio, so it will be Avid who will provide driver updates/repairs etc.

Can you post your full system details:http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=336556. It does sound like a hardware failure, and as Darryl mentioned, probably not worth spending the money.

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM