Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2014, 05:40 PM

Default Cheapest way to try Pro Tools out?

So I have pretty much tried out most of the DAWs that run on Windows.They all have true free trial versions.I dont need to go buy a $50 iloc,that Ill never use again, to try their demo trial version. I always come back to Reaper and probably wont switch to Pro Tools. But the fact is I have never tried Pro Tools.I want to atleast try it and check it off list as having tried it.
I saw someone on craigs list selling a M audio fast track for $40.It comes with software. He called it the starter program.Not sure what that is.I have heard of M-powered and Pro Tools express.
So anyway what is the cheapest way of trying out Pro Tools with out going out and buying a brand new M audio fast track,even though you have a perfectly fine Focusrite interface, so that you can use Pro Tools Express?

Another point.From what I have read Pro Tools Express is so stripped down to the bone its not even Pro Tools anymore.Avid should just release Express as a free version. so people like me can try it and atleast get a feel for the work flow of Pro Tools to see If they like it better than Reaper,Sonar,Studio One,etc....
Old 01-28-2014, 05:17 AM

Default Re: Cheapest way to try Pro Tools out?

Here is a link that compares the different versions of ProTools 11.

Comparison Table

ProTools Express is pretty stripped down and would probably seems a bit light compared to the other software you have tried.

I would assume that you already have an audio interface, and if you are willing to spend $40 on an M-Box, I would just look around on e-Bay for an iLok 2. I've seen them on there for $39 and you would at least get to try out the standard version of PT 11.

System Details
Old 01-28-2014, 05:58 AM

Just to add to what Will said, If you buy a used ilok 2, you can easily sell it for what you paid on ebay.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 01-28-2014, 06:10 AM

You can get a 30 day free trial of the full version of Pro Tools 11. You do need the iloc version 2 as stated above. Here is a link to the avid site that specifies the system requirements for PT 11. [URL="http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/compatibility/Pro-Tools-11-System-Requirements"]. You will need the 64 bit version of Windows 7 or 8. Avid says 8.1 is not supported, I don't know if that info is outdated. Pro Tools has a pretty steep learning curve in my opinion, to get to know all of the ins and outs, but if you are already experienced with other DAWs you will probably be able to get up to speed.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:54 AM

The absolute cheapest way to try Pro Tools is to find someone who has it, and ask them to show you the software.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:21 AM

^^^^

Exactly what I was thinking.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 01-28-2014, 11:25 AM

Or hit up your local guitar center. Usually they have a computer or three set up with PT and different monitors
Old 01-28-2014, 11:39 AM

Good advice above Re the cost of the iLok2, consider that many plugins you will want, require an iLok, regardless of which DAW you end up using(so buying the iLok is not wasted money, even if you go another route). Also, some plugin companies(Slate Digital is one) offer deals where the purchase of a plugin includes a free iLok2(so another way to get one without hurting the wallet so bad)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave