Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2008, 10:55 AM

Default Jamlab any good as interface??

Currently Im using Ardour running 64Studio..Im thinking of getting Pro Toolls M-Powered and need to get a supported sound card.Currently I am using a Audigy 2 under linux using jack sound server..and it suites my needs..I just record for fun..Im trying to get into Pro Tool with out spending to much on hardware..I see JamLab on ebay for like $50.....Is it any good?
Old 03-28-2008, 08:40 AM

Default Re: Jamlab any good as interface??

If you just want a cheap interface to run M-Powered than ya. If you want to do any recording with it no. The software supplied isnt rtas so you need the wraparound which is extra money. It was the first guitar interface I had when I started my home studio and I quickly dumped it for the Black box. If your doing guitar work its all onboard so theres no latency and you dont need any ram consuming plugins. But like I said if your using it as a strict cheap interface than go for it.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:20 AM

My thought is, why spend $250 on a pretty sweet piece of recording software and then cheap out on the interface so as to not be able to really use it as recording software?

If you wanna just mess around, why not use Audacity or some free or cheaper DAW?

I'd look at some of the cheaper but effective M-Audio interfaces. It'd be a shame to be running PT 7.4 and cripple it with a JamLab.

BUT... if you MUST get a JamLab, don't spend 50 bucks on ebay... Musician's Friend has them for $29.99. But that said. don't. get something better. lol.

Just my 7.4 cents.

- kip
Old 03-28-2008, 12:53 PM

Yeah..I guess its true..you get what you pay for...Im looking at the 100-150$ range..either a 2496 or the delta 44...i prefer something usb so i can use it on laptop too...Like I said..right now Im using Ardour..Its a linux Pro Tools clone...pretty decent for open source software....but not up to the same quality as programs like Pro Tools,Sonar,Cubase..
Old 03-28-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Yeah..I guess its true..you get what you pay for...Im looking at the 100-150$ range..either a 2496 or the delta 44...
Why not just get something like Digi Mbox mini, where you get the hardware and software for $300? By the time you spend ~$150 on hardware and then add $250 for M-Powered you'd have spendt more than just buying the mini and LE, and you get more software with LE, things like Reason Adapted, BFD Lite, etc.

J
Old 03-28-2008, 01:06 PM

I didnt even know about the mbox mini...that sounds like what I want..pro tools with a usb interface...its cheaper than buying m-powered and then another 150 on usb interface...
Old 03-28-2008, 01:18 PM

I just went to m-audio site and see they have a Mbox2 Micro..the Mbox2 Micro is 250 Musicians Friend..Looks like I can get into Pro Tools for 250$...
Old 03-28-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
I just went to m-audio site and see they have a Mbox2 Micro..the Mbox2 Micro is 250 Musicians Friend..Looks like I can get into Pro Tools for 250$...
Yes, but the micro does almost nothing. The Mini at least has 1 XLR input and a 1/4" input, and is well worth $50 more dollars.

What would you need to "get into pro tools" for if you don't have an interface that can do any recording. The only real purpose of the micro is to be able to mix on the go without having a large interface to lug around, or if you are solely doing virtual instrument stuff and don't need any mics.

what do you want to do in pro tools?
J
Old 03-28-2008, 04:27 PM

Mainly just a input to plug guitar into...I plug into my zoom g2...i dont have any midi gear except for a usb midi keyboard..a edirol pcr-30...
Old 03-28-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Mainly just a input to plug guitar into...I plug into my zoom g2...i dont have any midi gear except for a usb midi keyboard..a edirol pcr-30...
Well, the micro has no inputs as far as I can tell, and Pro tools will NOT let you use your Zoom as an interface, so how do you plan on recording your guitar if the micro has no inputs? The keyboard will work in Pro Tools with just the USB connection. Sounds to me like the Mbox mini is the one you need.

J