How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2011, 11:44 PM

Default Midi bug on eleven rack

Hi
I'm using an ART X15 with my eleven rack wired with two midi cable.
The state of the effets is not displayed on the leds on the ART x15 when i'm changing preset. For live session is very bad.

The only correct effet information displayed is the tuner ... when i use it the led on my pedalboard is on ....

Note: the correct cc are affected for all switchs...

Anyone have the same problem ?

En francais :
Bonjour
J'utilise un pedalier ART X15 avec mon eleven rack relié par deux cables midi.
Lors d'un changement de preset sur l'eleven rack les etats des effets ne sont pas envoyés par midi donc pas affichées sur le pedalier. c'est tres genant dans le cadre d'une utilisation en live.
Le seul effet qui envoi correctement l'information est Tuner ... quand je l'utilise la led du pedalier est bien allumée.

Remarque ; les bons cc sont affectés aux switchs...

D'autres rencontrent ils le meme probleme ?
Old 02-16-2011, 05:02 AM

Default Re: Midi bug on eleven rack

Eleven Rack doesn't report the status of its effects via MIDI. The only status report you get is the lights on the front panel for DIST, MOD, DELAY, REV, etc...

What you need to do is have the initial state of your MIDI controller patch agree with the initial state of the 11R patch.

If your MIDI controller can't store patches, then you're screwed because you'll never be able to sync up your controller's status and lights with the 11R's status and lights.

Even if it did report MIDI CC status, I doubt any (many) foot controllers on the market would be able to accept the 11R status.

Brandon
Old 02-16-2011, 01:15 PM

Thank's for your reply
But I don't understand the Avid logic .... If you change your number of the patch on the pedal board it's neccessary to re program the pedalboard .. so if the cc status where reporting on midi they where displayed automaticaly ...
I think the effect and the power amp are made for playing with and not for programming since a minor changing !
Before i'm using the ART X15 with a TC electronic G-Force and he displayed correctly and automaticaly the effects where they on ....
Old 02-16-2011, 10:30 PM

Hi ermynn. I'm not sure where you think the misunderstanding is. I can tell you this: it's not an Avid problem.

There's a one-way communication protocol from the floorboard to the Eleven Rack. When your floorboard sends a PC message to the 11R, the selected patch may have a number of settings that your floorboard may control via CC messages.

The 11R has no way to send the state of those CC settings back to the floorboard to set the indicators (and the current state of any physical controllers assigned to send those CC messages).

This is neither a fault of the 11R nor of your floorboard. Rather, it's an integration problem.

There are two ways this problem could be addressed.

One is to have a floorboard designed specifically for the 11R and have the 11R send special messages to that controller to manage the state of the controller. Clearly, this is not the case with what we have today.

The other way to handle this is to have a floorboard that allows you to set the "initial" state of CC controllers whenever you select a new patch. Some floorboards support this, some don't. You'd have to program the floorboard specifically for each patch. Even with this level of integration, you'd still have the floorboard getting out of sync if you changed controlled CCs from the 11R instead of from the controller. (This would happen, for example, if you had a switch on the floorboard set up to turn echo on and off, then toggled the echo from the front panel of the 11R.)
Old 02-16-2011, 11:39 PM

Hi TieDyedDevil
I think you're wrong on the midi functioning
Indeed, how do you explain the function tuner works fine with the status display on the pedalboard while the other effects do not display the status on the pedalboard?
The problem is not on the pedalboard but in the rack ..
And do not forget that MIDI runs in both directions (MIDI IN and MIDI OUT) and to display the status effects you need two MIDI cables.
As I said in a message before this setup worked perfectly with a G-force
Old 02-17-2011, 01:25 PM

Sorry, ermynn… I don't know how to explain this any more clearly.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermynn View Post
Indeed, how do you explain the function tuner works fine with the status display on the pedalboard while the other effects do not display the status on the pedalboard?
The default state for a tuner for a guitarist is "OFF". It's not a coincidence, or a planned feature, that your MIDI foot controller and the 11R have the tuner turned off and they agree with one another.

The 11R is not telling your foot controller that the tuner is off, the state of the tuner light on your floor controller is OFF - almost all the time. The state of the tuner light on 11R is OFF - almost all the time. They just happen to agree because they both assume the same initial state.

Brandon
Old 02-22-2011, 01:25 PM

TieDyedDevil said :
This is neither a fault of the 11R nor of your floorboard. Rather, it's an integration problem.

I agree with you.

TieDyedDevil said :
One is to have a floorboard designed specifically for the 11R and have the 11R send special messages to that controller to manage the state of the controller. Clearly, this is not the case with what we have today.

I think this way is best and it's easy to send the effects states on the midi thru.