Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-26-2013, 08:43 PM
Rational1 Rational1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Japan
Posts: 1
Default Any benefit in having two Eleven Racks?

Hi Guys,
I've had my 11R now for about a year. Love how it sounds.

I see people are selling them cheaply nowadays. I saw one locally for $300 minus pro tools.

Is there a benefit to having two, other than for a second PC or a backup?
Could they be used concurrently somehow to benefit?

If so, could you list the possibly ways? I may pick another one up if it gives me a lot of benefits I still haven't yet thought to consider.

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-26-2013, 09:06 PM
Darryl Ramm Darryl Ramm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 14,931
Default Re: Any benefit in having two Eleven Racks?

Sure, if you have one as an interface you can hang the other off it as an outboard processor to use when tracking two guitars or a guitar and bass etc. Or hang both off another interface (hopefully one with two S/PDIF or AES/EBU inputs and outputs).

Or just to have a spare, or a basic interface on another computer. Or to loan out for folks to practice with etc. etc. At their price point it does not take much reason to want one.

I'm about to order a second one for a variety of reasons... (including the bundled PT license for another system).

Darryl
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-27-2013, 12:37 AM
Darryl Ramm Darryl Ramm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 14,931
Default Re: Any benefit in having two Eleven Racks?

or you can real-time double amp a single guitar... A poor man's Axe-FX dual amp modeling capability.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-27-2013, 09:15 AM
stormstudios stormstudios is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 70
Default Re: Any benefit in having two Eleven Racks?

yeah I'd add to Darryl's thought.....

it would allow you to double up on an amp or effect. You could in theory use the FX Loop in 11R#1.....SEND to the input of 11R#2 and then use the FX Loop at the end of #2's chain to use the SEND back into the RETURN of 11R#1.

in theory....
:)

I'd use it for dual delay type of scenarios.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-27-2013, 10:03 AM
derker derker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 622
Default Re: Any benefit in having two Eleven Racks?

I'll add to the previous post :P

I would SPDIF out of one 11r (#1) into the other (#2). Set the digital output in the first to send the dry guitar signal, and set the second's Rig input to digital (also SPDIF, obviously). This way both "Rigs" are receiving exactly the same signal at exactly the same time, and both "amps" should be in phase with each other.

The question is how to recombine the outputs of the 2 units into one stereo signal with the amps panned correctly. I think the easiest way might be to jumper one side of the second 11r's FX loop (just plug send into the return on the right side) and then plug the first 11r's send into the left return on the second unit. Unit 2's Main output is then used.

This way one could specify on a patch-by-patch basis whether or not dual-rigs are used just by activating/deactivating #2's FX loop (Mix at 100%). Place your stereo effect blocks after the FX loop. This way each unit has its own discrete signal path into the Amp but there's also an ability to affect both units after the FX loop. Want just one amp? Disable the loop on #2 and use it as usual!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-27-2013, 10:36 AM
kittybite kittybite is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 39
Default Re: Any benefit in having two Eleven Racks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
or you can real-time double amp a single guitar... A poor man's Axe-FX dual amp modeling capability.
It sucks that eleven rack cant update with this feature
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-29-2013, 09:32 AM
MadisonV44 MadisonV44 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Paris
Posts: 15
Default Re: Any benefit in having two Eleven Racks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybite View Post
It sucks that eleven rack cant update with this feature
Not only on this feature ... How long has it been since we had an update from Avid on 11R ?

Sound of silence
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-29-2013, 06:54 PM
Jay_uk Jay_uk is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,234
Default Re: Any benefit in having two Eleven Racks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by derker View Post
I'll add to the previous post :P

I would SPDIF out of one 11r (#1) into the other (#2). Set the digital output in the first to send the dry guitar signal, and set the second's Rig input to digital (also SPDIF, obviously). This way both "Rigs" are receiving exactly the same signal at exactly the same time, and both "amps" should be in phase with each other.

The question is how to recombine the outputs of the 2 units into one stereo signal with the amps panned correctly. I think the easiest way might be to jumper one side of the second 11r's FX loop (just plug send into the return on the right side) and then plug the first 11r's send into the left return on the second unit. Unit 2's Main output is then used.

This way one could specify on a patch-by-patch basis whether or not dual-rigs are used just by activating/deactivating #2's FX loop (Mix at 100%). Place your stereo effect blocks after the FX loop. This way each unit has its own discrete signal path into the Amp but there's also an ability to affect both units after the FX loop. Want just one amp? Disable the loop on #2 and use it as usual!
Thanks for this Derker...great explanation.
Do you know if anyone has tried this?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-29-2013, 07:41 PM
Darryl Ramm Darryl Ramm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 14,931
Default Re: Any benefit in having two Eleven Racks?

Given there is no mixer in the Eleven Rack, for live use you might as well just drive a small mixer. If recording then send the rig output of on back to the S/PDIF input of the other the input of the rig that is the interface. Just like usign the eleven Rack as an output processor on any other interface.

If I was using two Eleven Racks I would likely drive each of them via a splitter off the guitar (either passive or active splitter depending on the goals (and what I was hoping True Z to do or not).
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-03-2013, 01:45 PM
derker derker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 622
Default Re: Any benefit in having two Eleven Racks?

I have yet to test out my 2-unit idea, mainly because I don't have my own second 11r! :P There's theoretically no reason it shouldn't work, as long as everything's hooked up appropriately.

I would stay away from using a mixer in this setup simply because you'd have to use both units all the time. Utilizing the FX loop seems like an easy way to control what's in your signal path on a patch by patch basis.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to use two Eleven Racks in Pro Tools JADRAX Eleven Rack 21 10-19-2016 09:06 PM
Eleven Rack / Avid is not producing anymore Eleven Racks is that true or false? Rongpat Eleven Rack 8 02-11-2014 07:42 AM
Best way to utilize 2 Eleven Racks? derker Eleven Rack 12 03-02-2013 12:04 PM
Tube Amps and Eleven Racks? What's Your Rig? PatriotsBiker Eleven Rack 4 04-05-2012 09:18 AM
Can older Eleven Racks take the Expansion Pack? raisindot Eleven Rack 3 09-30-2011 10:44 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:32 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com