Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2002, 10:51 AM

Default PT/Mac to PC - part 17

I was just reading another thread about this and now I wonder if I should be confused or pleased...

Yesterday was my first attempt at opening a Mac session on my PC. I told my friend to make sure it was saved as a 5.1 session and check the mac/pc box, which he did.
He brought the CDR over, I copied the folder with the 3 sessions to my HD and everything opened fine.

Now, on this other thread, the mention of 'Mac Opener' was all over the place, as people were discussing their struggle in dealing with the cross-platform sessions.

What have I done (or not done, for that matter) to make this such a smooth operation? I dunno, and I sure don't want this to be interpreted as 'rubbing it in', but I had never considered using Mac Opener!
I can certainly say I never installed such a thing.
Perhaps a similar application already resides in my system that I'm unaware of?

So, just for future reference, why the need for Mac Opener? Again, just for the record, this was a NYC post-house MAC TDM 5.1 session opened flawlessly on my PC PT LE at home.

Digi, what do you that has caused this (for once that refers to a good thing)?

pk

p.s. One thing that has happened is that all the sessions from that disc as well as new sessions I created since show TDM based I/O options (input1 888/3-4 stereo, etc.)
Something to do with the DAE(?), not sure, but how can I get my 001 harware to show?
Old 02-28-2002, 10:56 AM

Default Re: PT/Mac to PC - part 17

pk,
I'm not a Mac guy, but I thought MAc Opener was a MAc tool for opening PC files...

Mark
Old 02-28-2002, 11:13 AM

MacOpener is to open Mac fromatted discs in the Win enviroment. What you did PK is the safest way. I have used Mac opener because I transfered the sessions directly onto a Mac formatted hard drive, I then plugged it in my PC as a slave and I could open the files with Macopener.....

www.abacomusic.com
Old 02-28-2002, 04:11 PM

If on the mac side you burn an ISO9660 format CD with joliet file names, a windows machine can read the CD. This doesn't mean that it can read the files on the cD!! This is where the enforce mac/pc compatibility comes into play. Also, doing a save session as with .wav files instead of SD2 helps a lot too. I think you need macopener to read the SD2 files, as well as any CD;s that are burned in straight mac format. I'm sure the post house burned iso9660 CD's and used wav files for you correct? I am soon to get an entire album coming from a mix plus mac tdm system (40 backup CD's!!!) to open on my PC 001. I hope it goes as well as it did for you.....

As for the IO labels being like a tdm rig, just go to your IO labels with the session open and choose the default labels for everything. This should change them all back to your 001 hardware.
Old 02-28-2002, 04:35 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by IOP Drummer:
I think you need macopener to read the SD2 files, as well as any CD;s that are burned in straight mac format.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>\

SD2 files simply can't be opened correctly on a PC due to the design of the Mac HFS file system. SD2 files are broken into two parts (resource fork and data fork). The resource fork contains details about the file such as timestamp, bit-depth, sample rate, number of channels. The data fork contains the RAW PCM data. PC's can't see the resource fork, so SD2 file present themselves to a Windows box as RAW PCM data. You can convert them manually by hand (search the archives if you must - I posted my tips ages back) thankfully these days compatibility between Mac/PC is almost seamless from 5.1 onwards.

On the Mac Opener front. As pk pointed out you don't necessarily need Mac Opener to open Mac sessions if you can get them provided on an ISO9660+Joilet Extensions disc. Mac Opener really shines when you need to mount Mac HFS formatted hard drives. I have a 9gb external SCSI drive that I use for suffling sessions back and forth from a TDM equiped studio, the drive is HFS formatted so I just plug it into the PC and hey presto! it works straight outta the box.

Cheers,
Marcus
Old 03-01-2002, 12:04 AM

ahh......
Old 03-01-2002, 12:35 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by pk_hat:

p.s. One thing that has happened is that all the sessions from that disc as well as new sessions I created since show TDM based I/O options (input1 888/3-4 stereo, etc.)
Something to do with the DAE(?), not sure, but how can I get my 001 harware to show?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have an AMIII, but i just go to the I/O setup and click default on all the tabs, or load one of my saved setups. That should do it. And you can delete any extra paths, etc.

As for Mac Opener, as long as your cd was written in a format recognized by the PC, you don't need it.

Steve
Old 03-01-2002, 12:47 AM

thank you all for the clarity!

pk