Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2009, 04:40 PM

Exclamation New PC ProTools won't run

Hi
I just got a new laptop with windows 7 installed. I have two drives on it so I am dual booting with XP. All the important drivers loaded except the VGA graphics controller. So there is a little display issue.

Anyway loaded PT LE 7.4 and 6.7 (not at same time) Neither would run. Checked compatibility, I may have an issue with 6.7 and my mBox micro. I will try it again with the MBox. It seems there is another issue though since it just won't run. I did get it to start loading once but I got a missing DFW.dll error message. Not sure what that means.

Any suggestions? Otherwise, I will quit trying to use ProTools and use Sonar 8, which seems to run just fine on the 64 bit Win 7. (except my Waves plugins aren't working, darn it) I am thinking of getting a Vista 32 bit OS to dual/triple boot but I hate to spend the money if it's not going to work. And before anyone says Mac, you should know I can crash a Mac faster than you can blink!

Any suggestions would be gratefully tried. (except the Mac one lol) Also, has anyone got ProTools to install on a 64 bit system?

Thanks

Lizzi

HP dv8t with i7 720
6 GB RAM
Nvidia GE Force GT 230M graphics/audio
dual 320 gb HD's
Windows 7 64 bit on one drive
XP Home SP3 on other drive
PT LE with MBox2 micro/Mbox
Old 12-15-2009, 04:54 PM

Default Re: New PC ProTools won't run

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzilizzi View Post
Hi
I just got a new laptop with windows 7 installed. I have two drives on it so I am dual booting with XP. All the important drivers loaded except the VGA graphics controller. So there is a little display issue.

Anyway loaded PT LE 7.4 and 6.7 (not at same time) Neither would run. Checked compatibility, I may have an issue with 6.7 and my mBox micro. I will try it again with the MBox. It seems there is another issue though since it just won't run. I did get it to start loading once but I got a missing DFW.dll error message. Not sure what that means.

Any suggestions? Otherwise, I will quit trying to use ProTools and use Sonar 8, which seems to run just fine on the 64 bit Win 7. (except my Waves plugins aren't working, darn it) I am thinking of getting a Vista 32 bit OS to dual/triple boot but I hate to spend the money if it's not going to work. And before anyone says Mac, you should know I can crash a Mac faster than you can blink!

Any suggestions would be gratefully tried. (except the Mac one lol) Also, has anyone got ProTools to install on a 64 bit system?

Thanks

Lizzi

HP dv8t with i7 720
6 GB RAM
dual 320 gb HD's
Unless things have changed since I used the Windows version of Protools, it never worked on a 64-bit OS. The system requirements for Protools was a 32-bit OS only. Now unless the system operators move this thread, you posted this "Pro Windows - Anti Mac" post on the Mac forum. You might get some bashing for that. Next time, be more careful where you post.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 12-15-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Hi

Thanks

Lizzi

HP dv8t with i7 720
6 GB RAM
dual 320 gb HD's
Bet I can crash Windows faster.

Neverending war aside... I highly doubt 7.4 will work on Windows 7, 64-bit or not. Equivalent to using 7.4 on Snow Leopard. Basically to say, 7.4 is oooold, and the last time I used it was with XP. You might have success running PT8, but as far as I know, PT8 isn't qualified for use on either SL or W7.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 12-15-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Hi

Thanks

Lizzi

HP dv8t with i7 720
6 GB RAM
dual 320 gb HD's
Why are you asking PC questions in the Mac side??? Maybe come toward the right side and post in the PC section.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 12-15-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
And before anyone says Mac, you should know I can crash a Mac faster than you can blink!
Why's that? Too complicated for you??
Old 12-15-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Hi

Thanks

Lizzi

HP dv8t with i7 720
6 GB RAM
dual 320 gb HD's
I build custom PCs every week for audio and gaming and I love my Pc or gaming, but only for gaming !!!, I plunged into a MAC a year and a half ago, not one single problem except 1 error cause I didn't have the hard drive set right. Now that wasn't the case with my PCs, to many errors so I switched. So you can crash a Mac faster than a blink of an eye huh?, it's got to be operator error if you can do that. Here is how to get your dual core AMD system running like it should with no hitches and stibility issues..............since the new AMD DUAL CORE OPTIMIZER came out people say you dont need the MS HOTFIX anymore, i dont know if this is true or not, but i tested these fixes with and without one another, and found they work better together, giving an increase in performance.....but thats from my personal expierience......try for yourself, i recomend installing both the MS HOTFIX and the AMD DUAL CORE OPTIMIZER, as they work good together and also give a performance increase by about 1-5%. PLEASE BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY FIRST!! 1 - Install the amd drivers, download it from here... http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/..._13118,00.html 2 - read this website and download the hotfix....READ here http://support.microsoft.com/?id=896256 ........Download here http://www.amdzone.com/files/WinXPdualcorehotfix.exe 3 - Edit your registry to enable the HOTFIX, follow these steps. 1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK. 2. Right-click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager, point to New, and then click Key. 3. Type Throttle for the new key name. 4. Right-click Throttle, point to New, and then click DWORD Value. 5. Type PerfEnablePackageIdle for the value name. 6. Right-click PerfEnablePackageIdle, and then click Modify. 7. In the Edit DWORD Value box, type 1. In the Value data box, make sure that Hexadecimal is selected, and then click OK. 8. Quit Registry Editor. 4 - Make sure your BOOT.ini has this command in it, /usepmtimer to check, right click on My Computer go to properties, click on the ADVANCE tab, then under startup and recovery click on settings, then click on EDIT.... 5 - Install the NEW AMD Dual Core Optimizer.......from here.....http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...1_9706,00.html Your Boot.ini should look something like this now..............
Old 12-15-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
you posted this "Pro Windows - Anti Mac" post on the Mac forum. You might get some bashing for that. Next time, be more careful where you post.
Don't say I didn't warn you.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 12-15-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
Don't say I didn't warn you.
LOL, group HUG
Old 12-15-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flommer View Post
Why's that? Too complicated for you??
No, I just try to use too many plugins and I don't know the <ctrl><alt><del> equivalent in Mac speak. So for me, a freeze is a crash.

Sorry didn't realize I posted on the Mac side. I need to look better next time. Frustration will do that to you.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basslik View Post
I build custom PCs every week for audio and gaming and I love my Pc or gaming, but only for gaming !!!, I plunged into a MAC a year and a half ago, not one single problem except 1 error cause I didn't have the hard drive set right. Now that wasn't the case with my PCs, to many errors so I switched. So you can crash a Mac faster than a blink of an eye huh?, it's got to be operator error if you can do that. Here is how to get your dual core AMD system running like it should with no hitches and stibility issues..............since the new AMD DUAL CORE OPTIMIZER came out people say you dont need the MS HOTFIX anymore, i dont know if this is true or not, but i tested these fixes with and without one another, and found they work better together, giving an increase in performance.....but thats from my personal expierience......try for yourself, i recomend installing both the MS HOTFIX and the AMD DUAL CORE OPTIMIZER, as they work good together and also give a performance increase by about 1-5%. PLEASE BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY FIRST!! 1 - Install the amd drivers, download it from here... http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/..._13118,00.html 2 - read this website and download the hotfix....READ here http://support.microsoft.com/?id=896256 ........Download here http://www.amdzone.com/files/WinXPdualcorehotfix.exe 3 - Edit your registry to enable the HOTFIX, follow these steps. 1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK. 2. Right-click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager, point to New, and then click Key. 3. Type Throttle for the new key name. 4. Right-click Throttle, point to New, and then click DWORD Value. 5. Type PerfEnablePackageIdle for the value name. 6. Right-click PerfEnablePackageIdle, and then click Modify. 7. In the Edit DWORD Value box, type 1. In the Value data box, make sure that Hexadecimal is selected, and then click OK. 8. Quit Registry Editor. 4 - Make sure your BOOT.ini has this command in it, /usepmtimer to check, right click on My Computer go to properties, click on the ADVANCE tab, then under startup and recovery click on settings, then click on EDIT.... 5 - Install the NEW AMD Dual Core Optimizer.......from here.....http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...1_9706,00.html Your Boot.ini should look something like this now..............

Sorry, I did not mean to bash Mac on the Mac side. An i7 is an Intel chip. I like AMD, but Digi does not recommend them so I stick with Intel.

I guess it is user error when I try to use plug ins. I do have a great G4 tower that runs an 001 with PT 5.2 - great program, though it still crashes. But no where near as complicated to set up as PT 7.4. But I don't have a lot of time to play at home. My job has me on the road about 2 weeks a month - sometimes more, sometimes less. Mac notebooks are expensive and not upgradeable (well neither are PC's but they are cheaper to replace) And it sounds like PT has the same issues with Mac as far as compatibility as PC's do. So I don't see much of an advantage.