Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2002, 01:27 PM

Default Re: low level audio input

C Cash,

I am aware that -10 and +4 are considered line level; lets not get into symantics here, I think you were missing my point. What I was trying to clarify was that in the original post, B.O. stated that he set the input to the digi 001 for line level and his signal was low. If I remember correctly, when you go to adjust the gain via software on the hardware page of protools, it states as one of the settings "line level +4". Since B.O. set the gain of the digi 001 to "line level" it gave him a weak signal. This is because the output of the motif, while in the manual it states line level, doesn't clarify if it's +4 or -10. As I stated before, usually synths operate at -10, B.O. probably set the software trim to "line level +4" in the Digi, which resulted in a weak gain structure. It probably needs to be set to -10 for proper gain structure. I hope this clarify's things. I've been in the recording and broadcast industry for a long time, and do production for radio, tv, and the internet every day. I wasn't giving B.O. bad info, just helping him solve his problem.
B.O., you don't have to go out and purrchase DI Boxes in order to record into the MBox, I was just making a suggestion that could enhance the overall sound (this has worked for me).
Old 12-02-2002, 01:39 PM

its getting hot in here....... [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2002, 10:55 PM

Maisbass - Where do i adjust the gain via the software on LE?
I haven't set any 'software trim' that i'm aware of! - please help -where do i make these settings?

I have been getting low audio input level as i said so i turned down the ouput of my room monitors (roland ds50's)..i changed the trim down to 24db from 17db (which is the centre setting)
i have left my LF trim and HFtrim sett to 0db (also the center setting)...are these too high?

once i did that i could crank the master volume output of motif, and crank up the source gain on mbox set at LINE, and i got somewhere - still not hitting the red though..but a bigger waveform than midi.

My big question:
How do i monitor at a low room volume ( i am in a NY apartment.!!
Shhh...) - and record at a high INPUT level?
Old 12-02-2002, 11:04 PM

The MBox doesn't have a line trim in software like the 001 has.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 12-03-2002, 06:07 AM

With my AMIII, in PT LE, if I go the setup>hardware>more options menu, I have a choice to turn up my input gain. I don't know about the mbox, but check that out.

Cheers
Chris
Old 12-03-2002, 06:24 AM

If your signal is low on the Line setting, try the instrument setting on low gains. Also check your output levels on the synth. On my time with Yamaha synths, just having the volume knob cranked up doesn't mean full volume. Each patch will probably have an independant volume set via some obscure hidden menu (I think Yamaha have a patent on this sort of thing.) A D/I shouldn't be nessecary.
Old 12-03-2002, 09:00 AM

Sorry B.O. I don't own an MBox. I assumed it had the same software gain control as does the digi 001. Anyone with an MBox out there? As for the "Heat", I love this forum, and it's been a great asset in many respects. By no means was I looking to start trouble, I just don't like when my words are misconstrued.
Old 12-03-2002, 07:40 PM

Hey Mais,

No heat intended. Just trying to clarify things for the octopus... if they weren't clear. I wasn't so much referring to you specifically as dishing out "misinformation"... there's just been a lot of loose numbers and facts thrown around the forum in general, which can just confuse people even more. Smiles everyone, smiles...
Old 12-03-2002, 08:21 PM

The Mbox has three pad positions (the pad switches are on the front of the MBox box) on each of its two inputs ( each have a gain pot as well).

The first pad position is Mic. It does two things:

1) connects the xlr input on the back of unit to the input circuitry.
2) connects the input to the mic preamp.

An Mbox user using the jack inputs will not get any input signal into the box until the pads are clicked off mic in onto line or instrument.

The second position line input.
The third is instrument.

Both line and instrument are wire to the jack inputs but not to the mic input. So when using jacks the mic inputs are disabled (you can still select the mic input on the front of the box but you will not get any input).

Also...

Curt Cash, what, technically are we talking about when we distinguish between line and instrument level.

Seeya

Mark
Old 12-06-2002, 12:50 AM

Mark, instrument level - if you're talking about guitar and bass pickups, it is the same as mic level. The Sound Reinforcement Handbook breaks it down as:

Mic or Low Level (anything that needs a preamp to get the electrical voltage up to a usable level). This range extends from no level to -20dBu. It includes mics, guitar pickups and turntable outputs. Even though a hard plucked electric guitar or a high SPL into a mic can put out line level signals, they are still considered to be operating on average at mic or low level.

Line or Medium Level (-20dBu to +30dBu). It includes almost all outboard processing gear, electronic keyboard outputs,and most of the inputs and outputs of a console except mic pres. They are usually rated at -10 or +4dBu as a nominal operating level.

Speaker or high level covers all levels above +30dBu and includes power amp speaker outs, AC power lines, and DC control cables carrying more than 24 volts.

Reading the specs for the M-box, it has "DI" in parenthesis beside "instrument". I take that to mean it's a direct input for guitar and bass instruments.

Typically, if you were going to plug a guitar into a mixing console for example, you plug it into a Direct Box, which will change the impedance to work better with a preamp. This is usually done with transformers in the DI box. Then you plug the DI output into a mic preamp to juice it up. Sounds like the mbox just takes care of this for you -- if you plug into the "instrument in."