Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-25-2007, 01:05 PM

Default Translating Midi Chunk List Error ( Making people paranoid )

Hello people .

I am using Protools HD 7.3.1

I was working on my project today , than i saved and closed it .

But after couple of hours , i wanted to go on , but when ever i tried to open the project it gives a message as ; '' Could not complete your request because bad data encountered while translating MIDI Chunk List ''

I really don't understand it . Also my in my Protools settings , auto-backup function is on , so i have nearly 7 back up files of the same session as well , but when i tried to open from them , again i am getting the same error .

What do i have to do ? Please don't tell me that i lost my project , i would cry (((

Waiting for your kind helps urgently ......

Thank you
Old 05-25-2007, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Translating Midi Chunk List Error ( PLEASE HELP ! )

no one ?
Old 05-25-2007, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Translating Midi Chunk List Error ( Making people paranoid )

Ok , after i just checked thru 100's pages of google , and after i just checked some experiences which people had about same issue , and you know what ''4'' years ago as well..

Yes , people had this issue 4 years ago , and it is not addressed ! I cannot believe it . The result is , i lost my project !
I paid thousands of dollars for my HD system , but it is not worth in this case . I can even pay double cost for to get my song back.

People complaining that , Digidesign didnt addressed this issue . They are saying that , digi took their files for a look . and than no answers .

Here is what i wrote to digi technical support !

When ever i tried to open my session , it gives ''Midi Chuck Translation Error''.
I don't udnerstand why it happened . I am just using software instruments (no anyother hardware) .

I check the DUC , and too many people had this problem and too many people lost their work even 4 years ago . And the complaining that Digi didnt care about it .
So in this case i need to ask , why dont you address this problem since 4 years ?
Why i just lost my track because of a non-sense error ?
So why i spend over 10000USD for this system ?
Also, why auto back up files are giving the same error as well ? So in this case where is the meaning of auto-back up ?

I am totally upset and feeling helpless at the moment , because i lost my very big project ! I cannot do anything about it , because when i try to open from a new session (import) it is also not working.

This is something not acceptable . Honestly when i saw this issue happened 4 years ago to someone , i coulndt realize that it is happened to me 5 mins ago in 2007 !

Me , and also too many people won't want to work like a paranoid .

For the ones who will have this problem , here is the hopeless try outs ;

1) I tried to re-open session 10 times
2) i tired to re-open session from all 10 backup files
3) I tried to import session from a new session project
4) I uninstalled Protools completely

the result is the same , and the people telling that i lost my project .

I am sorry that i am writing the sentences little bit emotional and little bit angry , but this is something so sad .

I wonder , what if it would happend for a movie job in LA ?
Old 05-25-2007, 06:54 PM

Yes it's nasty, very nasty.

This is one that's in the to hard basket as you'll see from the Digidesign response below.

We now have a program that:

1 changes recording takes at random and Digidesign can't fix it.
2 randomly freezes for up to 10 seconds on a lot of peoples machines (including mine) and Digidesign can't fix it.
3 refuses to open saved sessions including all backups because of "Bad Midi Chunk Data" and Digidesign can't fix it.

Don't apologize for being emotional about losing your work.

This is the Digidesign response that will bring you no joy.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's clarify something here.

First, to be able to call this a 'bug', you must know that it's something dysfunctional in the software - which you, nor we, know for sure. This could be caused by a drive read or write error that's uncorrectable. How would you possibly fix something like that? Truth is - you can't. Drive corruption happens and it's nearly impossible to avoid at some point if you're using computers regularly - which is why the maxim of 'backup, backup, backup' is so prevalent.

Second - to be able to determine what is causing the bug, typically you need a reproducible scenario, as in 'if I do this and this, THIS happens'. So far, we have not been able to reproduce this at all. We can look at files that have been corrupted already, but that hasn't told us much about HOW they became corrupted - was it the aforementioned drive error? Was it a RAM error? Was it a bug in Pro Tools? Or possibly in a plug-in that was being used? The possible factors are enormous.

We've had 4 reports of this, none of which gave us any real clue as to the cause, thus there's no way to 'fix' anything - we don't even know that Pro Tools is at fault. We *have* seen a somewhat similar issue from a customer who had downloaded MIDI files from the internet - which application generated them is unknown, but after he imported them into his session, he could no longer open the session after closing it without getting assertion errors. Those same MIDI files caused problems in Logic and Digital Performer as well. The customer had called us complaining of a bug in Pro Tools - and it certainly looked like one from their report. Only after investigation did we turn up the info about the imported MIDI files.

Until we can possibly get more concrete evidence as to the cause of this problem, it's probably not accurate and potentially misleading to call this a Pro Tools bug. If it gets labelled as such, others may just assume that's the case and not look at other possible causes for the error, missing important information.

--------------------
Digidesign Tech Support
Old 05-25-2007, 10:37 PM

Default Re: MIDI Event editing in Pro Tools LE

Hi from Los Angeles:

Hope you don't mind this question...

Regarding MIDI event editing in Pro Tools.

Sometimes, when my chops are down (more often than not), I like to play things in (keyboard) with input quantize enabled. After I capture a performance, I'll go to the event editor and nudge individual events off the grid (based on relative pitch). A few ticks this way, or that.
As u know, it takes more time for a lower pitch to develop, than a higher one, so I use a relative pitch criterion to make my decisions. Yup, it works.
It's "cheating" I know, but this labor intensive technique provides a "non-robotic" performance.
How manageable would this technique be in Pro Tools LE? Will individual notes in a chord "sound" when ya click on em?
JET...
JET88inc@aol.com
Old 05-25-2007, 10:37 PM

Hi from Los Angeles:

Hope you don't mind this question...

Regarding MIDI event editing in Pro Tools.

Sometimes, when my chops are down (more often than not), I like to play things in (keyboard) with input quantize enabled. After I capture a performance, I'll go to the event editor and nudge individual events off the grid (based on relative pitch). A few ticks this way, or that.
As u know, it takes more time for a lower pitch to develop, than a higher one, so I use a relative pitch criterion to make my decisions. Yup, it works.
It's "cheating" I know, but this labor intensive technique provides a "non-robotic" performance.
How manageable would this technique be in Pro Tools LE? Will individual notes in a chord "sound" when ya click on em?
JET...
JET88inc@aol.com
Old 05-26-2007, 03:16 AM

Than we should stop to work with Protools and go on with super stable Logic Pro 7 than .

Thats what i will do from now on , and until Digi announce this address . Because me or too many people who works on Pro Tools , making serious projects , and earning money with that . Lets [bleep] about the money , there are more important thing ; it kills creativity . I lost my track , and i dont know how to write these piano midis again , cause i dont remember .
They were all improvisitions .

God , at least digi should make something to catch only midi files , from this corrupted files .

Oh yes , this is very non-sense , and like a constant robot answering machine what digi says regarding to it .

They know that this is a serious bug , but they dont want to accept as they would have a big company ego . i can understand that .

Apple was the same when all first revision of Mac Books released . There was a noise inside , maybe millions of peoples complained , they ''never'' accept it , and one that they made a firmware upgrade regarding to this noise .

These are all company [bleep] . sorry
Old 05-26-2007, 03:22 AM

Also i forgot to add ;

This random freeze is also happening to me . But i forgot to mention it while i am hassling with this midi chunk error !

It is freezing and when it comes to normal , in this exact moment , very big overgain hitting to my speakers than track is continue to play !!!!

But in that moment i want to ask , what if i am working with higher volume ? What if my tweeters or subwoofers went down because of this 1 sec high overgain shot ? Will Digi deal with Genelec's ?

Lets say this way , just address the midi chunk error , and leave this freeze bug . at least we can handle with freeze. but not with midi chunk .
Old 05-26-2007, 09:44 AM

i wont let fall down this topic , until it solve .

even i will send 10 messages day by day
Old 05-26-2007, 04:02 PM

Dear Dreamgroove,
I am very sure that this is not a Bug that happens frequently. I have never seen it with 7.2 or 7.3 (that is to say that it does not happen nor that I don't believe you) However, what happens when you open one of the Backup files that Pro Tools creates (assuming that this is turned on in the prefs)? This will indicate if the session is corrupt.
The other thing to try is create a new session and then bring the tracks in one by one using "Import session data" that way you may find the offending track/tracks.
Before you go on a one person crusade against Digidesign you should be sure that the problem is really Pro Tools, as discussed in the other post it can be due to disk corruption. (I for one am a stickler for backups, saving the session frequently to another drive for safety). I have found that Pro Tools is just about the most reliable software that we use, considering that is operates "realtime" and that any problem will manifest itself immediately to the user in the form of audio artifacts.
We do see the "freezing" bug but have not been able to find a formula for reproducibility, but it does not make any noise. Digidesign is trying to find what the problem is but it seems to be an elusive problem (see other thread to do with this).
I hope that you solve the problem
regards
Simon L.