Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8

Old 05-15-2006, 11:19 PM

Default Controller - Pro Control or not?

I was wondering if it would be worth buying a Pro Control now that Digi has the D- Control, D- command, etc... I know Digi stopped making the Pro Control, but if I could buy one at a decent price would i be able to get a couple of two or three years out of one? I am using HD Accel on Mac G-5. I think the D-control/command is alot of cash for a controller. I mainly would want to control, volumes, mutes, pans, and plug parameters - e.q., comps, etc... I use alot of short cuts on the keybrd, so I'm really not concerned with these types of feature. I would use it mainly use it for mixing live music(rock bands), hardly any post work. Would a command 8 be a better choice?
Old 05-16-2006, 06:18 AM

Default Re: Controller - Pro Control or not?

My PERSONAL opinion, is that ProControl has become the steal of the century. I was really really close to signing a lease on a d-control for 100k, (a 32 fader console). for 86k LESS, I have 40 faders, including an Edit Pack. It is missing some of those GREAT d-control features, which I will eventually get, but I have a great console that is every bit as good as it was just before it was discontinued. Naturally, I have to live with the fact that it will eventually be unsupported, but most of us agree that DIGI will continue to keep it working with PT for at least a few years. At that time, maybe I will swing for that big lease. (There is also the idea that it will work FOREVER with my current PT system. (I have friends who are mixing on 6 year old Mix Plus systems that won't upgrade at all.)
BTW, for the control of Plugins, I wasn't totally impressed with d-control's mapping of certain EQs and Dynamics (it may have improved by now) so part of my setup is a touch-screen (something that for some reason, I have never seen anyone else use). I have it built into my console, and it acts as my "knobs" for my plug-ins. With this, I am getting PERFECT mapping of all plug-in parameters. I just touch a knob and drag it up or down, while retaining the actual look of thhe plugin, with all metering, etc. Between that and those great 8 digit scribble strips (6 on the ICONS) I am in total mixing heaven!
But that is just MY opinion- If I had more money around, I would be mixing on an ICON. But I would never choose a d-command over procontrol, only d-control. (again- only one man's opinion.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:00 AM

I have never been happier using Pro Tools than I am now that I have a ProControl.
For my workflow it is perfect. I might add an Edit Pack & Fader Pack.
There are still a few great deals out there.
Email me [email protected] and I'll give you some leads.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:29 AM

After working for two long session day's with the D-Command I'm even more happy with my ProControl and Faderpack !!

Offcourse the new controllers are very well designed but they also are missing a few extra's the ProControl does have.

The Channel Matrix is really important to me for selecting multiple tracks, soloing tracks, mute tracks, select tracks etc.
Also it gives you direct access to the Groups enable, edit and select.
I also use it in Alpha mode for my shortcut's, so I hardly use my Mac Keyboard.

Further the D-command doesn't have a nummeric keypad. When you work with many locators its more fast to direct select the locator you need.
On D-command you select by 6 locators. So if you need locator 18 you have to scroll thru 3 times a block of 6 locators.

Good things on the D-command are some new dedicated buttons that ProControl will have to miss and the touch sensitive rotery encoders.
On the other hand I 'm really inpressed by all the new functions Digidesign is still implanting in ProControl. They don't sell it anymore, but they still support most of the new functions

Because it's very hard to work with just an 8 fader controller the D-command has also the issue that you have to put 16 faders extra. ProControl and just one Faderpack makes 16 faders, what for most applications is enough to work with.

Also I prefer some of the ergonomic and overview of the ProControl above the D-Command. Some function buttons on D-command are not on the best spot and are more easy to access on the ProControl.

The D-Command is a very good new product, but ProControl isn't less good.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:36 PM

Soundtrack,
In reply to
>>The Channel Matrix is really important to me for selecting multiple tracks, soloing tracks, mute tracks, select tracks etc.
Also it gives you direct access to the Groups enable, edit and select.
I also use it in Alpha mode for my shortcut's, so I hardly use my Mac Keyboard.

What exactly is the channel matrix?
Old 05-17-2006, 11:40 PM

7k,

>>BTW, for the control of Plugins, I wasn't totally impressed with d-control's mapping of certain EQs and Dynamics (it may have improved by now) so part of my setup is a touch-screen (something that for some reason, I have never seen anyone else use). I have it built into my console, and it acts as my "knobs" for my plug-ins. With this, I am getting PERFECT mapping of all plug-in parameters. I just touch a knob and drag it up or down, while retaining the actual look of thhe plugin, with all metering, etc. Between that and those great 8 digit scribble strips (6 on the ICONS) I am in total mixing heaven!

You say theres a touch screen you have built into your console? I didn't know PC has a touch screen. I guess I better take a better look at it. We don't have any around my town, so I guess I'll go digi surfing.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:30 AM

The Channel Matrix is in the center of the ProControl and gives you 32 buttons.
Those 32 buttons are representing your tracks. You have also an A/B/C/D switch, so it gives you 128 tracks overview.

It show's you which tracks are muted, or are in solo, record armed, clear all solo's, mutes or record ready. Also you can direct select the track you need ( let's say track 12, or track 78)
When you just have 8 or 16 faders, you still can direct see on the Channel Matrix which channels are in mute, solo etc, without banking to those specific channels.

Also there is a button called Alpha mode, that works with the Channel Matrix. All buttons also represent a,b,c,d....x,y,z.
When you enable commandfocus in the Edit Window you can direct select your keycommands. Push button G and you make a Fade to End on your audio selection. Push letter D and make a Fade to Start. Push A to Trim Start to Insertion, push S to Trim End to Insertion etc.
That's a very fast way of working.

Also when you hit the Group button on ProControl you create, enable, edit or select the group direct from the Channel Matrix. It's shows you your groups and when you hit the edit button for the group it shows you all selected tracks for that group.

I bought my ProControl not only for the faders but because a wanted a controller that gave me the option to not use my Apple keyboard. To control everything from the controller.
ProControl does give you that option in a very good way.
Also it has a mouse pad. That's not the best utility of the ProControl and it's by far no trackball. I don't use it for navigation but it's very handy for just double clicking an audio file for selecting etc.

The faders of the proControl are very nice working. It's not just that C24 makes noises when you use the faders. It's also the "feel" of the fader, it feels more proffesional.

When I had tho work for two day's with the new D Command I was really a little affraid that I would be impressed far more with the new controller. Sorry to say that I wasn't becaus of the missing Channel Matrix and Numeric Keypad.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:34 AM

Quote:

The faders of the proControl are very nice working. It's not just that C24 makes noises when you use the faders. It's also the "feel" of the fader, it feels more proffesional.

Exactly. ProControl fader C24 fader The fader for the C24 is the very same as the 002 and the Command 8. The C24 just has a different cap. Not only does the PC fader feel more professional, you can adjust the back tension of the fader too. It is more professional.
Quote:

When I had tho work for two day's with the new D Command I was really a little affraid that I would be impressed far more with the new controller. Sorry to say that I wasn't becaus of the missing Channel Matrix and Numeric Keypad.
That's good to hear.
Before I bought my PC I checked out a D-Command. I was very impressed with it but I knew I would only get a main unit for that price. No keyboard option like Edit Pack. IMVHO Digi ended PC life to force upward moves to ICON.

The Channel Matrix is an amazing tool to speed your workflow.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:21 PM

Bill,
The touchscreen I built into my unit is something of my own doing. I just thought it would work- it isn't anything that Digi makes. I just bought a touchscreen made to be mounted into a kiosk, or something. One that worked with Mac. It took a lot of doing to get it going, but it is really a great thing. I even have the Memory Location window on the screen, and can instantly tap the location with my finger, without having to remember what number it is, and jump to any part of the song. But for controlling plugs it is really great. There are many plugins that have tiny controls, but for my main EQ (mdw) and Dynamics (smack or impact) the knobs are plenty big, and I just push and slide up or down.

Originally, I built it into a panel that sat next to my main unit (you can see a photo at 7kproductions.com/console)

But now I have an Edit Pack- so when I get some time I am going to remove the large meter bridge on the edit pack, and mount the touchscreen there, and move those nice meters where the main unit meters are. I get a little adventurous.

Speaking of adventurous, I also have a Scroll wheel from the Mac Mighty Mouse, built into my Edit pack- just to the left of the trackball. So I can scroll through the edit window up-down and left-right.

The last thing I want to modify, is the super redundant master sections to each fader pack. I am getting ready to REMOVE them, and have just a pair of them to left and right of my master section. (like the d-control) So far, I haven't found a tech that will give me the green light, but at these prices, I don't mind giving it a try!

With some of these great features, I am extremely happy with the PC. Naturally, in due time, I still will make a transition to d-control- then I am sure I will start modifying that!

Happy ProControlling!
Now I have to get back to REAL work.
Paul
Old 05-22-2006, 10:06 PM

7k,
Your a genius. Great to hear your taking the Pro Control were no other humans has ever been. Keep up the great new ideas. For the rest of us, I guess I have to settle for the basic PC.