Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2008, 09:37 AM

Default Re: Isues with Core Audio on 10.5.3

That worked for me ...Thanks Digi

MacPro (2008) 002r, Aphex 230, Glymp drives.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Does anyone else have this issue, or know of a solution:

I've been waiting and waiting and waiting for this day to come, and now that it's here, I smtill have the same bloody problem I had before. I've installed 10.5.3, and now that Digidesign has come out with a pre-release of a so-called 'compatible' version of Pro Tools (7.4.2pr), I installed that. I checked the "Known Issues" document, and my issue does not turn up there, so I thought this had to be fixed because it is so blatant.

My issue seems to be more with the Core Audio driver than Pro Tools itself. Pro Tools runs fine and the playback through my 002R to my studio monitors is fine. I just can't seem to get iTunes, Safari, or any other application to playback through my 002R out to my studio monitors even though I go into sys preferences and go to Sound and choose "DIGI002 HW" from the list of possible sound output choices. When I do that...silence!

This worked fine in Tiger. I've been ping-ponged back and forth between Apple saying it's a DigiDesign issue, and DigiDesign saying it's an Apple issue..... I don't ****ing care who's issue it is, both of them are supposed to be working together to resolve such things! I have reported the issue to digi on their website through their bug-report, but fear that they will release a fully qualified version of their software with Leopard, and this still won't be fixed!

someone please tell me I'm not the only one!

Well 7.4.2 finally came out, and guess what - problem still exists
I spoke with Digi's tech support, and after performing some tasks that they suggested to no avail they basically said it was an issue on Apple's side and to contact them. I suppose this will never act the way it did in Tiger and all past versions
Old 06-27-2008, 11:32 AM
Avid

Quote:

I spoke with Digi's tech support, and after performing some tasks that they suggested to no avail they basically said it was an issue on Apple's side and to contact them. I suppose this will never act the way it did in Tiger and all past versions
There are a couple things going on here. Much of these issues are caused by problems with our Core Audio driver and we're working on fixing them, however this is not going to be a quick fix, as the driver model needs to be updated to Apple's most current SDK and will take some serious engineering time.

Rest assured, we are working on it.

As for it being an Apple issue - there is a known issue with Quicktime and the issue is partly them, partly us. We're working with them on addressing it (it may be fixed on their end with QT 7.5), but it also requires the update on our part mentioned in the previous paragraph for a complete fix.

I know it's not terribly good news, but I wanted to acknowledge the problem and let you know that we are addressing it.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:

As for it being an Apple issue - there is a known issue with Quicktime and the issue is partly them, partly us. We're working with them on addressing it (it may be fixed on their end with QT 7.5), but it also requires the update on our part mentioned in the previous paragraph for a complete fix.

I know it's not terribly good news, but I wanted to acknowledge the problem and let you know that we are addressing it.

Does this also apply to the case where I go into

System Preferences>Sound>INPUT(tab)>

Then try to click "DigiDesign HW (Mbxo)" and it gives
me an error:

"the selected device has no input controls"

??

I use to use the mbox here as an input device quite a bit!

Donovan

Intel iMac
OS 10.5.3
Original Mbox
Keystation (49)
Xpand! (latest)
PTLE 7.4.2cs4
Old 06-29-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Quote:

There are a couple things going on here. Much of these issues are caused by problems with our Core Audio driver and we're working on fixing them, however this is not going to be a quick fix, as the driver model needs to be updated to Apple's most current SDK and will take some serious engineering time.

Excellent response DigiSupport. I really appreciate you being transparent and explaining the issue. This makes quite a bit of sense to me, and I will gladly wait for the fix. In the mean time I'm using the AltSrc input and going out of my Mac Pro's Line Out to get iTunes and everything else to play through the 002 Rack.

Thanks Again

Mjake03
Old 06-30-2008, 09:34 AM
Avid

Quote:
Does this also apply to the case where I go into

System Preferences>Sound>INPUT(tab)>

Then try to click "DigiDesign HW (Mbxo)" and it gives
me an error:

"the selected device has no input controls"
That's completely normal - all that message is saying is that you do not have input volume control from the Sound control panel software. This is because input is entirely controlled by the hardware knobs on the Mbox.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:41 PM

EUREKA! ! !

an update to 10.5.4, as well as trashing the [digidesign] 'volume.ddb' or (.dbb, i can't remember)...

and i can play itunes through my old MBox..!!!

I thought i would have to ask where the Pro Tools "preferences" were - which i never found, by the way... brings me back to the ol' days with OS 9 with DAE pref's...

I haven't tried multiple app's on the MBox, which i would have to hear to believe... but the idea sounds great... hopefully someone else will give this a whirl.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:44 PM

ps... adjusting settings in the Audio/Midi set-up looked nice, but didn't do anything...

Mac's System Preferences wouldn't take, either, when i kept selecting MBox as the output/input...

but again, it's fixed now with the 10.5.4 update... and maybe trashing that volume.* file did something...

WOW... just tried streaming some music off of Firefox, along with playing music off of itunes, and both came thru the Mbox... that's "progress" for sure...

(still have a "whine" when i crank the volume though, maybe that's the USB hub... but not likely... here we go again...)
=
Old 07-09-2008, 11:38 PM

The old fashioned preference deletion worked for me.

From the sticky post at the top of this forum:

"Delete Pro Tools preferences.
-Go to Users > “your user name” > Library > Preferences
-Delete 'com.digidesign.protoolsLE.plist', 'DAE Prefs' (folder), 'DigiSetup.OSX' and 'Pro Tools preferences'.
-Empty trash, then restart the computer. "

Before doing this i had tried all the other tips here, added coreaudio.app to login items, and edited some of the above preference files in text edit to see if i could nerd my way out of deleting them again. (a big concession since my trusty ProTools Pref and Database Helper app doesn't seem to be working in leopard...arg).

So, i'll have to re-design my prefs in PT and BACK THEM UP while everything is working, but it's a small price to pay to have excellent sound in iTunes instead of the stock 1/8" output from my Mac.

Back up your preferences! It's worth it!
Old 07-10-2008, 07:20 AM

I have the same issues,with the Core Audio on 7.4.2. and 10.5.3 on a I mac 2.1 with 1.5 g ram through a 002r. I also have audio levels drop in half when recording have you had that happen with your rig.