Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2010, 09:52 PM
Banned

Default 64 Bit Pro Tools is now a MUST!!!!!!!!!

I don't know what changed but everyone of my sessions reaches the "Critically Low On Memory" and asks to save and restart. I have been using HD for 11 years now, and have had way bigger sessions and have never hit this point. Until now

I have 8 gigs of memory, and looked at the Activity Monitor 56% is at idol
Why is memory all of a sudden a issue?????????

Is it the pretty Graphics??????? We need to unlock that 3gig limit in 32 bit mode. I can't deal with all the restarts....

At least it isn't crashing.......
Old 09-25-2010, 12:37 AM

Default Re: 64 Bit Pro Tools is now a MUST!!!!!!!!!

Any chance you've recently begun using more samplers, virtual instruments, or drum hosts than usual?

That'd do it...

S..

Scofield...
Old 09-25-2010, 12:46 AM

Make sure you enable "Memory server" in Kontakt 4. Then ALL your Kontakt Sample RAM will stay outside Pro Tools. If more VI´s use this excellent method the 32 bit RAM limit won´t be a problem.
Kontakt, VSL ,Spectrasonics use this feature. But we are longing for PLAY2,BFD2,Superior to follow.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:40 AM

Plays does something similar also already
Old 09-25-2010, 07:14 AM

Hosting your VIs in something like VE Pro will unlock all of your RAM also. Works like a charm.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:35 PM
Banned

Vi's do it to but I usually bounce to audio then get rid of the VI.

It is all audio and just mixing with TDM, RTAS, and UAD and when I just about reach the point of a full mix. I get the error. I then have to start getting a balance with my TDM, RTAS, and UAD plugins. Meaning I change the voice count around and restart a few times. Then change RTAS to TDM or TDM to RTAS. Then restart a few more times. Then I find the sweet spot mean while a hour as gone by and I can finally bounce a ruff.

I also get the" There is not enough memory to save the session" so I deactivate a few tracks then, Save, then reactivate them.

It is such a waste of f**king time!!!!!!!
Old 09-25-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edadema View Post
Vi's do it to but I usually bounce to audio then get rid of the VI.

It is all audio and just mixing with TDM, RTAS, and UAD and when I just about reach the point of a full mix. I get the error. I then have to start getting a balance with my TDM, RTAS, and UAD plugins. Meaning I change the voice count around and restart a few times. Then change RTAS to TDM or TDM to RTAS. Then restart a few more times. Then I find the sweet spot mean while a hour as gone by and I can finally bounce a ruff.

I also get the" There is not enough memory to save the session" so I deactivate a few tracks then, Save, then reactivate them.

It is such a waste of f**king time!!!!!!!
Quick question, how did you get UAD to work with Pro Tools HD? I have heard so many horror stories about the 2 working together.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gclef101 View Post
Quick question, how did you get UAD to work with Pro Tools HD? I have heard so many horror stories about the 2 working together.
It works flawless. Maybe the horror was back in the UAD 1 days. I love the HD2 and UAD Quad combo. I don't run out of Voices anymore. Only Frick'in memory. I love the UAD so much I am thinking of selling my Mercury TDM bundle. Wow I never thought I would say that.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edadema View Post
It works flawless. Maybe the horror was back in the UAD 1 days. I love the HD2 and UAD Quad combo. I don't run out of Voices anymore. Only Frick'in memory. I love the UAD so much I am thinking of selling my Mercury TDM bundle. Wow I never thought I would say that.
Wow....I am glad to hear that HD works with UAD-2 Cards, because I was not going to invest in getting HD because I spoke to a guy who works at soundpurestudios.com and he said UAD-2 has problems with HD and the 2 does not gel together.

But since I saw the lightpeak demonstration on Pro Tools HD native I will wait to see what may come out that.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:26 AM

AVID has stated elsewhere in this forum that they ARE working on 64-bit Pro Tools.

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=240742

Quote:
DigiTechSupt
Administrator

Re: 64 Bit Pro Tools By Next Year?
As you know, discussion of future developments is something that has some very tight controls, so I can't say a whole lot on this subject.

Going 64 bit is high on our list, yes - it will mainly start with drivers, so that all of our hardware can work on a 64 bit OS. Porting the entire application over to 64 bit will take longer.

Quote:
Quote:
Do you see this as an opportunity to address RTAS performance issues
There's more to that than a 32 or 64 bit app or OS. And, yes, we are doing things to improve this, but they're independent of the 64bit question.