Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-18-2006, 07:26 AM

Default Can I automatically mute a track when recording?

When recording, I use the "mix" knob on the Mbox to allow me to hear some backing track + live monitoring of what I'm recording. I'm sure most people do this.

However, to avoid hearing an echo (due to latency), I always mute the record-enabled track, and then I have to un-mute it when finished recording, then re-mute for the next take.

Is there a way of doing this automatically?
Old 11-18-2006, 08:11 AM

Default DIGI- FEATURE REQUEST

I don't think you can. but it would be great if you could.
http://www.audiosupergeek.com
Skype / Gizmo : johnrover
AIM: jbillyriv
Old 11-21-2006, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Can I automatically mute a track when recordin

I got sick and tired of the mute button thing too. I don't know if this will help but here is my work around. I'm sure many others are doing this as well.

1. Setup up one track that is always in Record Enabled mode and Muted - this will be used as your main recording track.

2. Create a few more tracks underneath that Record Enabled track, create more as you need them.

3. Once you capture the wav in the Record Enabled / Muted track, click-drag then hold your shift key down and move the recently recorded wav to an empty track.

4. Listen to your track - keep it or delete it.

5. Repeat the process as necessary.

No more mute button clicking.

Hope that helps.

atff
Old 11-23-2006, 01:12 AM

Default Re: Can I automatically mute a track when recordin

Instead of making additional tracks, you could just create a new playlist on the same track for each take. That's why there are playlists. Call it "take 2" or whatever.

If you mean muting when punching in, then use the auto input monitoring function that toggles the playback track with the live input when you do a punch in. This is only usable at lower latencies, or with low-latency monitoring enabled.

If you're like me and monitor externally (I think this also applies to those using direct monitoring), then you have to mute manually because your input is always audible. I'm so used to it after a few years, that I don't consider it a problem.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.