Thanks
Mike

iMac Pro 10 Core 64 GB RAM Vega 64
Pro Tools 2023.12/Ventura 13.6.1
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro

Old 10-26-2021, 03:35 PM

Default Re: PT 2021.7 - crash while loading session

HELP!

Being a new mac user, I got excited about the new mac os Monterey 12.0.1 that was released yesterday (10/25). After installing and booting, being a Pro Tools addict I immediately double clicked the Pro Tools icon on my dashboard and attempted to load my newest tracking template I have been building (I am using Pro Tools version 2021.7). After the loading screen faded away and the program was booting up and initializing my tracks, it made it all the way through loading my tracks until it got to the Lead bus.

I starred at my screen for almost 10 minutes waiting for my session file to boot to no avail. After several restarts and other templates, still no sessions would boot.

At first, I thought it was the Pro Tools DAW as a whole, but then I realized you could boot files while holding shift to load the session file with all plugins inactive. This allowed me to open any session file or template file I wanted with no problem.

Ozone being a pain in the butt sometimes and some of you may know, I immediately blamed it for being the problem, which it was. I opened a new Ozone 9 plugin in a random insert section on another bus and the entire session crashed. After identifying ozone as the culprit, I thought I was out of the woods and began trying to boot my original tracking template (without holding shift); and the EXACT same thing happened again. While loading my tracks in the loading screen, it would get to the "LD" bus, and completely freeze up.

After doing the shift boot again on another session file, it booted up, and I began to move though the plugins I have on my LD bus specifically (a few waves plugins and stock Avid plugins). PULTEC EQP-1A WAS BREAKING MY SESSIONS!!! I have been using the Avid EQP-1A on my LD bus for months now along side the D3 deesser from Avid. After initializing both plugins on a new Aux track, the D3 came up with no problem, but as soon as I made a new EQP-1A from the plug in list, the spinning beach ball reappeared and the whole session froze up again.

After taking them both off of all my buses on my templates, everything has been working fine and I am starting to like OS Monterey. But somehow, Ozone and the Pultec EQP-1A are still causing problems.

IS ANYONE ELSE NOTICING THIS???? I would love some feedback, thank you!!!
Old 10-26-2021, 04:00 PM

You have unsupported software combo, things like this may happen. Sorry. It is most likely ONE bad behaving plugin that is causing this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2021, 04:58 PM

Back to the original dilemma of figuring out what plugin is bad: Open the session using the SHIFT option to make all plugins inactive. You said you have 3 plugins on the snare track, so start with that track: make the first plugin active, then Save, close then re-open the session. If it fails to open, you probably found the culprit. If the session opens, make the second plugin active, then save>close>re-open. This method will make short work if the Snare track has the bogus plugin.

Another method for narrowing things down: start with all plugins inactive and use the Option key to make all plugins in slot A active. Save>close>reopen. If it opens, move to Slot B. If it doesn't re-open, you probably have it nailed down to something in Slot A. With that knowledge, it should be short work to figure out the bogus plugin(its most likely going to be a 3rd party plugin and not a stock one).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-28-2021, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Ben View Post
HELP!

Being a new mac user, I got excited about the new mac os Monterey 12.0.1 that was released yesterday (10/25). After installing and booting, being a Pro Tools addict I immediately double clicked the Pro Tools icon on my dashboard and attempted to load my newest tracking template I have been building (I am using Pro Tools version 2021.7). After the loading screen faded away and the program was booting up and initializing my tracks, it made it all the way through loading my tracks until it got to the Lead bus.

I starred at my screen for almost 10 minutes waiting for my session file to boot to no avail. After several restarts and other templates, still no sessions would boot.

At first, I thought it was the Pro Tools DAW as a whole, but then I realized you could boot files while holding shift to load the session file with all plugins inactive. This allowed me to open any session file or template file I wanted with no problem.

Ozone being a pain in the butt sometimes and some of you may know, I immediately blamed it for being the problem, which it was. I opened a new Ozone 9 plugin in a random insert section on another bus and the entire session crashed. After identifying ozone as the culprit, I thought I was out of the woods and began trying to boot my original tracking template (without holding shift); and the EXACT same thing happened again. While loading my tracks in the loading screen, it would get to the "LD" bus, and completely freeze up.

After doing the shift boot again on another session file, it booted up, and I began to move though the plugins I have on my LD bus specifically (a few waves plugins and stock Avid plugins). PULTEC EQP-1A WAS BREAKING MY SESSIONS!!! I have been using the Avid EQP-1A on my LD bus for months now along side the D3 deesser from Avid. After initializing both plugins on a new Aux track, the D3 came up with no problem, but as soon as I made a new EQP-1A from the plug in list, the spinning beach ball reappeared and the whole session froze up again.

After taking them both off of all my buses on my templates, everything has been working fine and I am starting to like OS Monterey. But somehow, Ozone and the Pultec EQP-1A are still causing problems.

IS ANYONE ELSE NOTICING THIS???? I would love some feedback, thank you!!!
You're lucky! I can't even get pro tools to load! it stalls on loading plugins no matter what. Cleared all prefs and stuff. M1 Max with Monterey
Old 10-28-2021, 07:50 AM

@albee1952:
Thanks, will try this too to speed it up, because I did not have the time yet to went through the whole procedure (working on another session meanwhile).

But back to the troublesome session I concentrated on SmartEQ 3 which I bought lately. I had some issues with this plugin and after contacting Sonible Support Team I was told that it needs active network communication to work properly (no active internet/wlan necessary though). I am using Little Snitch and blocked outgoing communication for Pro Tools in the beginning. After deleting these rules the plugin works fine now and did not cause any troubles in this session anymore. So while loading this session Pro Tools did not crash while restoring track "SNARE" (SmartEq3 was instantiated there) BUT later, and not always at the same task/track. Its weird that Pro Tools does not give any feedback which plugin caused the crash.

As you can see its a bit complicated because its not always the same behaviour. If I am loading an easy session with only a few tracks and plugins first, close it and load the troublesome session afterwards, it sometimes works without any issue. And then, the next time, boom immediate crash while restoring tracks.

To be continued

Mike

iMac Pro 10 Core 64 GB RAM Vega 64
Pro Tools 2023.12/Ventura 13.6.1
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro