How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 05-06-2013, 03:37 AM

Default Re: Avid officially kills Sugar Bytes TransVST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Min View Post
Personally, I think this is semi-positive. Maybe it will encourage more developers to develop AAX! I personally don't like using a wrapper (I currently use one with PT 10). A wrapper is not as good as a native plugin.

Seeing as GForce and now Camel Audio seem to be saying "No" to AAX, I'm not seeing VST being now useless in PT11 as "semi-positive".

I get that Avid are repositioning Pro Tools for the pro-users. But this decision just smacks of spite TBH. Can't see what else Avid gain from it.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:08 AM

In any case, not saying it could have been fun, Russ Huges actually posted a way to use VST and AU in their elements and send the audio back to pro tools while PT sent the MIdi info to them without the use of a wrapper or even rewire, check it out no need for sugarbytes or fxpansion wrapper because of that. It's a few more steps, but at least you keep the stability in check. That's if you're a mac user. And there's always the use of Bidule For mac and PC which uses rewire.

VST
AU
Bidule

Wave-T.com
Old 05-06-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remute View Post
Seeing as GForce and now Camel Audio seem to be saying "No" to AAX, I'm not seeing VST being now useless in PT11 as "semi-positive".

I get that Avid are repositioning Pro Tools for the pro-users. But this decision just smacks of spite TBH. Can't see what else Avid gain from it.

The issues involving which plugins and VI's are not going to be available in a 64 bit Pro Tools makes having 64 bit look less and less attractive every day. What's the point of having total acces to RAM when you still have to use a seperate host to put your G Force, among others, VI's in? Sure Avid wants more AAX development but I would hope that there was a better way to encourage that development than using market manipulation.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
In any case, not saying it could have been fun, Russ Huges actually posted a way to use VST and AU in their elements and send the audio back to pro tools while PT sent the MIdi info to them without the use of a wrapper or even rewire, check it out no need for sugarbytes or fxpansion wrapper because of that. It's a few more steps, but at least you keep the stability in check. That's if you're a mac user. And there's always the use of Bidule For mac and PC which uses rewire.
Indeed there is. As a simple hobbyist though I'm increasingly eyeing Cubase 7.

Having access to all my VST natively, so to speak, plus outrageous features such as input monitoring, track freeze etc is attractive.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remute View Post
Indeed there is. As a simple hobbyist though I'm increasingly eyeing Cubase 7.

Having access to all my VST natively, so to speak, plus outrageous features such as input monitoring, track freeze etc is attractive.
Understandable, but some of these will be available in pt 11. So its guessing game right now, which is why its probably best to just wait and see.

Wave-T.com
Old 05-06-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Understandable, but some of these will be available in pt 11. So its guessing game right now, which is why its probably best to just wait and see.
Meh. "Track Freeze" would probably be HD-only, since multiple track bouncing already is. I agree on the wait and see, but given how AVID keeps the feature-matrix limited for Native (e.g. "CPTK unlock purchases gone, so no Timeline Cache etc for new purchases unless buying AVID Omni/HDX") any new innovative features going-forward in 64-bit PT11 updates won't likely be offered to Native at first (if ever).

"I survived the Great Launch Predicaments of PT11 2013."
Old 05-06-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserpathos View Post
Meh. "Track Freeze" would probably be HD-only, since multiple track bouncing already is. I agree on the wait and see, but given how AVID keeps the feature-matrix limited for Native (e.g. "CPTK unlock purchases gone, so no Timeline Cache etc for new purchases unless buying AVID Omni/HDX") any new innovative features going-forward in 64-bit PT11 updates won't likely be offered to Native at first (if ever).
Track freeze is in vanilla PT11. Has nothing to do with multiple track bounce which I don't think has been said to be HD only.

QAPLA!
Old 05-06-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
It's been a few days since I've taken the old high horse out for a ride, so here goes...

it seems that avid is commited to limiting it's customer's choices and options.

You know, this kind of crap gets really old...

Guess what...Avid doesn't sell french frys, either. Aren't those b*st*rds limiting our choices by not selling french frys?

Avid's goal is to make a profit. Avid sells software. Avid's goal is to make a profit. Avid allows/disallows interoperability with other products. Avid's goal is to make a profit.

Why is this so difficult for some here to understand?

If some action furthers Avid's goal of making a profit, they will probably take it. If some action does not further Avid's goal of making a profit, they will probably will not take it.

Some marketing guy may spout platitudes about "offering you choices", in the executive suites they just say, "Cool slogan, go with it. Now, how do we make more profit?"

It's really time for some people to grow up and learn how economic systems work...
I agree with everything you have said about Avid.

That being said, I have a right to complain, I have a right to want something different. However, they have the right to do business how they see fit. As a consumer, you either accept it or reject it, or as I believe, to try to lobby the company that you wish would do things differently to listen to your opinions. They may never agree, and I accept that, it is their business to run, it's their decisions to make, and as someone who runs at 50 million a year business, I fully embrace that. As that person who runs a very large business, I do want to hear from my customers, so lets not imply that people should just accept any particular business practice.

Listen, I know you are not saying that, I highly respect your opinion, however, there are others here who if you don't agree with their every word, they attack and chastise you for having an opinion that differs from their own. That being said, they have that right too.

FWIW, I happen to agree with Avid on this. They have made a decision to move forward with AAX, they have the power to force other companies to join in. I personally like working with a company who has that power, those companies seem to stay in business longer, which is better for me.

I love Avid/Digidesign products. I have, like many of you have invested 10's of thousands of dollars in their products and will continue to do so in the future.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 05-07-2013, 12:07 AM

There are some fantastic VST/AU only plugins we are missing, like the Toneboosters or Meldaproduction stuff.

The Melda EQ is my best weapon for quickly notching out unwanted camera whines when I do projects in Nuendo. It offers a huge (resizable) spectrogram view with notch filters.

I can get similar results with RX, but in Nuendo and Melda (VST) I can do it at least 10 times faster.

Just an example, I am sure we all have more. I must say that I am slightly disappointed with AVID about this move.

Ollie
Old 05-07-2013, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
I agree with everything you have said about Avid.
Based on Avid's plummeting profits , it's abundantly clear that having blind faith that "Avid's goal is to make a profit" equates with "Avid knows what the [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] it's doing" is mistaken.

(And similarly, pointing out that the plethora of RTAS demonstrates that the FXpansion wrapper hasn't hindered companies from making PT versions, all it has done is give customers greater choice, doesn't equate with "It's really time for some people to grow up.")