Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 05-11-2013, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Avid officially kills Sugar Bytes TransVST

Yah "Pod Farm through VE Pro, no thanks". I agree and it makes one wonder what is actually happenning with any audio, regarding latency, that is runnig through a plugin in VE Pro.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
An interesting idea, but...

Even starting with the low performance baseline that will be inherent in the wrapper architecture, from what I've read, there are quite a few VST plugins that will not work well or not work at all with a wrapper.

So, what happens if the three VSTs you want to use are among the "afflicted"? Not only would you be right back where you started, you'd also be out the "X" dollars you paid for the wrapper.
That's definitely a valid concern, but really a concern for the consumer and not for Avid. I'm not sure if that's the reason why Avid rejected the TransVST, but if it is, then it's a bit disingenuous of them to do so on that basis. I can't imagine that Avid would go to the extent of guaranteeing performance of their products when used with third party, non-Avid branded software/hardware, but that's what such an action would imply. As an end-user, if I'm having an issue with a third party plugin then I'm going right to that manufacturer's customer support and not Avid's.

If I were Sugar Bytes, and knowing how "flaky" the TransVST wrapper can be with the various VST plugins out there, then I wouldn't be marketing the plugin directly to end-users; rather, I'd be going straight to the plugin developers and licensing the wrapper to them instead. This would allow Sugar Bytes and the third party developer to hash out issues related to wrapping a particular plugin before it even gets to the hands of the consumer. It also solves the problem where a third party developer wants to "work on something else" for "creative reasons" than to keep porting plugins to one format or another.

Obviously wrapping plugins isn't anything new. Universal Audio had a licensing agreement with FXpansion until they developed their own RTAS wrapper in-house. I'm sure that Universal Audio will probably be wrapping their VSTs to AAX later this year using some proprietary method. It seems the only logical way that they're able to offer AAX versions for free to customers and at no major cost to them.

A rather insidious plan would be if Avid actually developed a VST-to-AAX wrapper that they were going to license to third party plugin developers. In that case Sugar Bytes would've thrown a monkey wrench into their 'eeevil' plans. Of course, this is nothing more than another offering to the conspiracy theorists out there.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:27 PM

I'm sure that Universal Audio will probably be wrapping their VSTs to AAX later this year using some proprietary method. It seems the only logical way that they're able to offer AAX versions for free to customers and at no major cost to them.

Keep in mind that Universal Audio (and soon Waves DSP solution) will only have to rewrite one "plugin"...the piece that "talks" to Pro Tools.

These company's only have one plugin "format", and that format is one that talks only to the piece that interfaces with the DAW.

I haven't checked their website lately, but I imagine Universal Audio will have their AAX versions within a few days of the PT 11 release date...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 05-11-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Min View Post
Personally, I think this is semi-positive. Maybe it will encourage more developers to develop AAX! I personally don't like using a wrapper (I currently use one with PT 10). A wrapper is not as good as a native plugin.
NOT this company. G-Force will NOT convert to AXX they want Avid to make a wrapper-plz read email sent
Now that some time has passed and I see 99% of all the plugins I own and PAID for! Are AXX now Except for ONE. Well three really I own three from this company. Please READ this email I just received recently from a representative of G-Force. This company is NOT going to convert their plugins to AXX as you can read here in this email to me. They want AVID to make a WRAPPER. So if Avid does not make a wrapper we are all **** out of luck once we get past pro tools 11 if you like their plugins as much as I do. I for one do NOT want to work in pro tools 10 to use my three plugins from this company, though I see the value in this. I want this company to make an AXX conversion as well. I'm really surprised they refuse to. I thought mostly everyone here posts of all the major companies with convert to AXX. Well NOT here with this company. And I love their three instruments I use.

Dear Bla bla

For the last two years we've been working on 64-bit updates and these will be free to registered users. However, as for an AAX version, at present we have no plans to port any instruments to this new format.

If this new format is critical, right now the best thing to do is contact Avid and SugarBytes to encourage a solution to the VST to AAX wrapper that was announced a while ago.

Regards

Dave

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dave Spiers

[email protected]
www.gforcesoftware.com
Old 05-12-2013, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanrock View Post
NOT this company. G-Force will NOT convert to AXX they want Avid to make a wrapper-plz read email sent
Now that some time has passed and I see 99% of all the plugins I own and PAID for! Are AXX now Except for ONE. Well three really I own three from this company. Please READ this email I just received recently from a representative of G-Force. This company is NOT going to convert their plugins to AXX as you can read here in this email to me. They want AVID to make a WRAPPER. So if Avid does not make a wrapper we are all **** out of luck once we get past pro tools 11 if you like their plugins as much as I do. I for one do NOT want to work in pro tools 10 to use my three plugins from this company, though I see the value in this. I want this company to make an AXX conversion as well. I'm really surprised they refuse to. I thought mostly everyone here posts of all the major companies with convert to AXX. Well NOT here with this company. And I love their three instruments I use.

Dear Bla bla

For the last two years we've been working on 64-bit updates and these will be free to registered users. However, as for an AAX version, at present we have no plans to port any instruments to this new format.

If this new format is critical, right now the best thing to do is contact Avid and SugarBytes to encourage a solution to the VST to AAX wrapper that was announced a while ago.

Regards

Dave

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dave Spiers

[email protected]
www.gforcesoftware.com
That's terrible! That's obviously a developer I won't be buying from!

I asked SKnote about RTAS (which they are still developing) and they said its almost ready for Beta and not only that they mentioned AAX as well! Quinto is a one man team and he's also developing hardware, why can he care enough about his customers needs and not a developer like G-Force?!

What about Plug and Mix?! They are new to the game have over 40 plugs and are making AAX Native and DSP or Native Instruments, with AAX as well?!!!

This is sad how some developers are willing to work on something that is in the best interest of their customers and others aren't!
Old 05-12-2013, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Min View Post
That's terrible! That's obviously a developer I won't be buying from!

I asked SKnote about RTAS (which they are still developing) and they said its almost ready for Beta and not only that they mentioned AAX as well! Quinto is a one man team and he's also developing hardware, why can he care enough about his customers needs and not a developer like G-Force?!

What about Plug and Mix?! They are new to the game have over 40 plugs and are making AAX Native and DSP or Native Instruments, with AAX as well?!!!

This is sad how some developers are willing to work on something that is in the best interest of their customers and others aren't!
They're a tiny company, like REFX, who said that RTAS account for 3.5% of their sales; perhaps they simply cannot afford to divert time from developing a new product.

What *is* sad is how a small company like Sugar Bytes have been prevented from satisfying demand for a wrapper by Avid.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
[B]I'm sure that Universal Audio will probably be wrapping their VSTs to AAX later this year...but I imagine Universal Audio will have their AAX versions within a few days of the PT 11 release date...
Will be ready for PT 11 release.

Lev Perrey from Universal Audio speaks to the question of Pro Tools 11 AAX 64 bit compatibility and offline bounce.

http://youtu.be/TeBmQmtYcts
Old 05-12-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remute View Post
They're a tiny company, like REFX, who said that RTAS account for 3.5% of their sales; perhaps they simply cannot afford to divert time from developing a new product.

What *is* sad is how a small company like Sugar Bytes have been prevented from satisfying demand for a wrapper by Avid.
Puhleeeze! Not another one...

So, if there were some demand for your recordings, you wouldn't have any problem with my "small company" (me) distributing copies for free to "satisfy demand"?

Avid holds the copyright(s)/patent(s) on AAX. They license that technology to other developers. That license specifies what the developer can do with that technology. And I'm pretty sure that creating a wrapper is not something the developer is allowed to do.

If a company's plugins are that important to you, don't you think your time might be better spent trying to convince them to develop for AAX?
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 05-12-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Puhleeeze! Not another one...

So, if there were some demand for your recordings, you wouldn't have any problem with my "small company" (me) distributing copies for free to "satisfy demand"?

Avid holds the copyright(s)/patent(s) on AAX. They license that technology to other developers. That license specifies what the developer can do with that technology. And I'm pretty sure that creating a wrapper is not something the developer is allowed to do.

If a company's plugins are that important to you, don't you think your time might be better spent trying to convince them to develop for AAX?

What a patronising, negative post. There's no need to advocate piracy or law-breaking; Expressing sadness at Avid's decision doesn't rule out simultaneously petitioning the aforementioned companies to make AAX versions.

They are, however, small companies with limited resources and Pro Tools is, for virtual instruments, a small market.

Your time might be better spent learning how to communicate with others in a less juvenile manner.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remute View Post
What a patronising, negative post. There's no need to advocate piracy or law-breaking; Expressing sadness at Avid's decision doesn't rule out simultaneously petitioning the aforementioned companies to make AAX versions.

They are, however, small companies with limited resources and Pro Tools is, for virtual instruments, a small market. .
They are all just opinions no less valid than ur own
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.