Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 11-16-2012, 03:34 PM

Default AVID: Can you pretty please, with sugar on top, fix the H.264 bug in PT??

Using H.264 video it will, seemingly at random, start over in the timeline. So around 2/3rds way through, suddenly you're seeing the first frame again.

These files play fine in QT and VLC or any other media player. This problem can be 'remedied' by closing protools and relaunching, however you risk it happening again any time you import a new video, toggle video track on/offline or toggle on/off play video out of pci-e.

This problem has been discussed and documented at length,a nd has been a known bug more than a year:
http://randycoppinger.com/2011/08/31...video-problem/
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=290098
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/post-...pro-tools.html
etc

Discussions have suggested this is a 2 gig file issue, however I've been able to close and reopen PT and it fixes the problem with the same file. Also it usually happens in the latter quarter of the file no matter the duration. My files are 8 gig 1080i files and when this happens they always start over well after half way, so one would assume not at the 2 gig mark.

Some people have solved this by converting files to different codecs, however in my specific workflow there often isn't time to wait 2+ hours to convert full length TV shows. I just need PT to be able to handle the files reliably that open fine in Quicktime. I'm not even worried that the codec isn't perfect frame accurate; I'd just like it to not loop back to the beginning.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:07 AM

Default Re: AVID: Can you pretty please, with sugar on top, fix the H.264 bug in PT??

There's a fix for that if you're on HD or got the CPTK:
Locate the exact frame where it happens, and make a cut (cmd+e). This usually helps, and fixes the issue for good in that particular session.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 11-17-2012, 01:54 PM

Default Re: AVID: Can you pretty please, with sugar on top, fix the H.264 bug in PT??

Yep, unfortunately I'm on neither- just a simple PT system that is just a remote slave chasing video. Seems ridiculous to invest in a $2000 add on for a system that will max out at 2 stereo tracks just to have the video track behave properly.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:59 PM

Maybe you know somebody with either, so you could send him the session file, tell him the position for the cut, he takes care of that and sends the session file back to you?

PITA? Yeah.
How things are supposed to be? Hell no.

But a better solution than waiting for Avid to fix that.
It's a known issue since the introduction of h264. I don't expect that it's going to be taken care of.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 11-27-2012, 01:44 PM

Is converting the video to Photo JPEG an option?