Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 09-07-2008, 05:00 PM

Default MIDI and Virtual Instrument Performance?

Hello,
I'm a big newbie to Pro Tools, so I'm sorry if this is terribly simple. I've set up an Instrument Track in a project, with a simple midi riff, and Native Instruments Kore Player 2, with the Bellatrix sample pad loaded. It seems to be taking much heavier of a toll on my system than I think it should. Warnings pop up telling me that either CPU usage is reaching its ceiling (set at 85% right now), or that I need to increase the HW buffer size, which is already set at 1024. I'm running a Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo with 2GB of ram and a Digi 003 Rackmount. I'm running Pro Tools 7.4.2 on Leopard.

With one patch, let alone 10, my computer should do just fine. I run Finale 2008 with sometimes over 30 simultaneous sample instruments loaded in Kontakt Player 2 with no problems in playback.

What settings do I have to change on my 003 to optimize my MIDI/Virtual Instrument performance? I'm sure that my problem lies more in my playback settings, rather than what my computer can handle.

Essentially, what needs to be set to what to have this run smoothly?
Old 09-07-2008, 05:34 PM

Default Re: MIDI and Virtual Instrument Performance?

Native Instruments statement on Leopard Compatibility
Old 09-07-2008, 06:10 PM

Default Re: MIDI and Virtual Instrument Performance?

Thanks so much for the response.

That's really terrible. I guess I'll have to wait for the updates.

In the meantime, should I set up a Tiger Partition until everything is ready to move to Leopard? I know that it won't be able to run in 64 bit processing, would this slow things down a great deal, or would I still see good performance for my system?