Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2003, 07:43 PM

Default Re: How the !@#$ can anyone use a G5????

Last time I checked this is still a freedom of speech country...
Everything stated above is absolutely true! oh no??? I pulled some strings and talked to someone who knows what is going on at apple, and there is DEFINITELY a problem with the power supplies. ESPECIALLY the 2x2 models. EMI AND RFI! Why don't you do a search on that.
The CHUD is a temp fix, not the proper fix. Oh, lets turn off a processor...lets also revert back to 1994...WHY? I don't even want to hear it...Who the F!@# are you to tell me who I spoke to at apple. I couldn't even unerstand the first two calls I made to them.
Why have none of the trade magz done any reviews on the G5? Because they can't release that horrible review without upsetting apple. THis I do know from two HUGE magz in the audio realm...Oh, I'm sorry the Creative realm.
I contiue to use Mac but I am not some pompuos prick who thinks it's the ultimate or only computer out there. Within these forums, that would be Digidesign's Protools, it's not hard to see that PCs are doing just as well if not better in the LE department. Look for yourselft wise*#$
"Fsssssssssssssssssssssssssss...that was someones balloon losing it's air."
A mac just happens to be one of the tools I use everyday, not just Sundays, to make a living. It's not just a past-time. "I do prefer a Mac."
As for the fine line, it's obvious which side your on.
Thanks for the entertainment

Old 12-09-2003, 09:37 PM

Quote:
No one is going to spend 3-5x the price of a competitive PC
The price disparity between Apple and PC only exists in "build-your-own" systems.

I'm in the market right now, and I read a bunch of posts about the 1.7 GHz Centrino for $1299 and the top of the line P4 "off the shelf" for $963, etc.

When I go to dell.com to try to build those systems, add RAM, a dvd burner, etc., I approach $3000.

Assembling a PC yourself saves a lot of time, but you're paying in sweat and maybe problems. Comparing a box of parts to a pre-built machine is not a fair comparison.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:46 PM

Quote:
The CHUD is a temp fix, not the proper fix. Oh, lets turn off a processor...lets also revert back to 1994...WHY? I don't even want to hear it...
Just to be clear, the CHUD fix doesn't "turn off" a CPU. It actually keeps it turned on, preventing it from napping during slow periods. Napping was what was causing the noise.

Not meaning to poke the bear, just wanting to make sure we're all on the same page.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Quote:
No one is going to spend 3-5x the price of a competitive PC
The price disparity between Apple and PC only exists in "build-your-own" systems.

I'm in the market right now, and I read a bunch of posts about the 1.7 GHz Centrino for $1299 and the top of the line P4 "off the shelf" for $963, etc.

When I go to dell.com to try to build those systems, add RAM, a dvd burner, etc., I approach $3000.

Assembling a PC yourself saves a lot of time, but you're paying in sweat and maybe problems. Comparing a box of parts to a pre-built machine is not a fair comparison.
Well you probably don't know that most computer stores will put your computer together for free if you buy all of the parts from that store. Make sure you buy the recommended parts from the Windows Protools LE thread, "The best PC for under $1000". As far as the software goes, for a small amount of $$$, the same store will most likely setup Windows XP and the software on your computer as well. So, it is true that a quality PC (G5 equal) can cost about $1000.
Jayman #9
Old 12-10-2003, 07:02 AM

Quote:

The CHUD is a temp fix, not the proper fix. Oh, lets turn off a processor...lets also revert back to 1994...WHY?
You ARE an idiot....
I NEVER said turn off then processor...go read my post again...I tried to explain CHUD briefly. Apparently, it went WHOOSH...right on by.
CHUD ALLOWS it....if you were a developer...you'd know why....if I were developing an app on a dual...the only benchmark I'd have is TWO processors....CHUD allows me to turn one OFF so I can see how my app reacts. Simple enough?
POW.....sorry to explode your 99 luft balloons. So much for 3-Dimensional thinking.

Now....back to the issue...WHY NAP? What is the purpose? If I'm doing multitrack recording, I don't want my procs to nap.
The replacement power supplies are not fixing the problem with the noise. The power supply is separated from the rest of the the system.....so Apple will have to look elsewhere...like the harness....UNTIL then....CHUD does exactly as I said. My system is noise free with Nap turned off.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:12 PM

Well then, add CHUD to the very LONG list of additional things that PT users need to tweak, install/un-install, “know about”, stay away from, and configure, just to have the “privilege” of using the software.

Software/hardware that is “advertised” and “approved” to work with a specified system should do so without the need to install ADDITION DEVELOPER software!! PLEASE...

It should NOT involve customization/reconfiguration of the basic system foundation to get it to run - “better”.
It should NOT cripple, take control of, or require you disable very basic system functionality, otherwise known as “features you pay for”, and then call that “optimization”. (Sleep anyone?)

Yes, my viewpoints are changing. In the past, I’d be the FIRST person to defend Apple or Digidesign. Now, I’m not so sure anymore...

Apple used to be “Plug & Play” (now it’s “CHUD and Pray ?”) . This was the hallmark of Apple systems in the past (for the casual user, this is still mostly the case IMO, but..). Users of any particular “productivity solution” should NOT feel the additional pressures of keeping up with all the latest system “rules and regulations” imposed by the manufacturer. Even a major upgrade should be an easy and pleasant experience for the consumer; not extra difficult... Were talking thousands of dollars here! After all, aren’t most of us just trying to be productive? The idea of the “solution” is that it should provide us with all the necessary tools to effectively achieve are creative goals with the least amount of resistance from the tools themselves. Right?

So for some, the answer is clear - “don’t upgrade”! But is it really that clear? What about first time users? Or professional analog users wanting to make the switch to a DAW in order to compete with modern studios? Or the real-world need to attract prospective clients by projecting a “modern” image utilizing “state of the art” equipment for the completion of their projects? Good business practice right? Or what about a video house wanting to expand into the audio post realm? There are many many scenarios in which a consumer would go right out and buy a G5 and never even think about a G4 at all. Why would, or even should they?

To sneer at a persons “expectations” that a system should work perfectly out of the box is to be a bit presumptuous. Of course, needless to say, a fair amount of research should be involved with any major purchase along with the normal learning curve that is directly associated with it’s use. But needing to become a computer-systems-expert should not become a prerequisite for artistic creativity. Sort of kills the experience...

dk