Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 05-05-2013, 05:56 AM

Default Avid officially kills Sugar Bytes TransVST

well it's official...tansvst will never see the light of day.

from the sugar bytes kvr forum:
'TransVST has now finally been rejected.'

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewto...7ee23ab8852205

it seems that avid is commited to limiting it's customer's choices and options. nothing more than corporate bs!

are we customers or numbers on a graph???
very disappointing.

marco
Old 05-05-2013, 06:05 AM

Default Re: Avid officially kills Sugar Bytes TransVST

That sucks for sure. And for those who don't want to go to KVR here's a link toe SugarBytes and it's right there on the page: http://www.sugar-bytes.de/

QAPLA!
Old 05-05-2013, 06:24 AM

Personally, I think this is semi-positive. Maybe it will encourage more developers to develop AAX! I personally don't like using a wrapper (I currently use one with PT 10). A wrapper is not as good as a native plugin.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:43 AM

Sure wrapped software have deficiencies but the user can choose to use or not for other options.
How is it so different from hosting via other apps? (From the users POV not the tech side)

"...don't like using a wrapper (I currently use one with PT 10)" but you use it for some limited reason.

Other lurking politics no doubt.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Min View Post
Personally, I think this is semi-positive. Maybe it will encourage more developers to develop AAX! I personally don't like using a wrapper (I currently use one with PT 10). A wrapper is not as good as a native plugin.
+1

I'd bet my Synchronic plugin that the outcome of this wrapper was the deciding factor of AAX support for some companies.

For Avid it is common sense, not corporate bs. They want as many companies as possible to support their new format. In the newly coded PT 11 it is possible that TransVST would be extremely stable and a great reason for some companies to do the opposite of support AAX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
How is it so different from hosting via other apps? (From the users POV not the tech side).
If you are referring to hosts like VEP 5 or Reaper ReWire, AFAIK, a wrapper is a more streamlined approach, particularly with effects plugins.

With a wrapper aren't the plugins opened inside the DAW? Not the case with a host that also requires additional routing.

No effects plugin company would bypass AAX for their product to used in VEP 5. This could absolutely be the case with TransVST.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:27 PM

It's been a few days since I've taken the old high horse out for a ride, so here goes...

it seems that avid is commited to limiting it's customer's choices and options.

You know, this kind of crap gets really old...

Guess what...Avid doesn't sell french frys, either. Aren't those b*st*rds limiting our choices by not selling french frys?

Avid's goal is to make a profit. Avid sells software. Avid's goal is to make a profit. Avid allows/disallows interoperability with other products. Avid's goal is to make a profit.

Why is this so difficult for some here to understand?

If some action furthers Avid's goal of making a profit, they will probably take it. If some action does not further Avid's goal of making a profit, they will probably will not take it.

Some marketing guy may spout platitudes about "offering you choices", in the executive suites they just say, "Cool slogan, go with it. Now, how do we make more profit?"

It's really time for some people to grow up and learn how economic systems work...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 05-05-2013, 01:02 PM

If Avid were actually making money it would be a lot more convincing that their way of doing business is the right one.

Ruthlessly pursuing your own goals with no care for your customers or other companies in your ecosystem is a long-term losing strategy.

Avid stays in business only because they dominate their niche.
That does not mean they are maximizing their profit.

Avid will not see a dime of my money for anything except PT, that's the one product I absolutely need from them.

I regularly buy from certain suppliers and manufacturers because I know they will do their best to make things right and show real concern for solving their customers problems not their own.

Avid is not one of them.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
It's been a few days since I've taken the old high horse out for a ride, so here goes...

it seems that avid is commited to limiting it's customer's choices and options.

You know, this kind of crap gets really old...

Guess what...Avid doesn't sell french frys, either. Aren't those b*st*rds limiting our choices by not selling french frys?

Avid's goal is to make a profit. Avid sells software. Avid's goal is to make a profit. Avid allows/disallows interoperability with other products. Avid's goal is to make a profit.

Why is this so difficult for some here to understand?

If some action furthers Avid's goal of making a profit, they will probably take it. If some action does not further Avid's goal of making a profit, they will probably will not take it.

Some marketing guy may spout platitudes about "offering you choices", in the executive suites they just say, "Cool slogan, go with it. Now, how do we make more profit?"

It's really time for some people to grow up and learn how economic systems work...
Well said Bill

Total agreement here and as you said, time to lay this whole discussion about rtas and vst not working with PT 11 to rest once and for all. Posting all these threads saying Avid doesn't care about us and hosed here and hosed there is really tired now.. It is NOT gonna make Avid re-write anything in 11 and if you think it will ... It WON'T!!

Let's work on 10 until 11 comes along and for rtas/tdm usage etc use 10 and be done with it I am soo lookin forward to a brand new PT and I hope it will be as awesome as announced .. Hopefully!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 05-05-2013, 02:20 PM

there are lots of great VSTs that will never, ever, ever be ported to AAX.
as far as avid's bottom line...i could care less about THEIR bottom line.

the corporations that i do business with should serve me, not the other way around.

avid's new motto should be:
even of you dislike us we know you love protools...so let's play ball.

customer alienation is bad business...that affects their bottom line.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlemos View Post

the corporations that i do business with should serve me, not the other way around.
Well Congratulations to you then for making the companies you do biz with "serve you"

The companies we do business with works "With" us and vice versa :)

PS. It's not Avid's fault that the VST plugins never ever ever ever will be AAX! You need to take that up with the PI manufaturer and stop blaming Avid for that.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————

Last edited by Southsidemusic; 05-05-2013 at 03:14 PM.