Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 01-14-2023, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Can someone advise me on a brand new HDX setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
there is no way for Pro Tools to know what that added latency is from that ADAT converter and you'll have to adjust in Pro Tools > Setup > I/O > Hardware Latency.
That only works for inserts. Not general input.

To correct delay on an input track (which only applies when delay comp is on), in the mix window, adjust the user offset delay. (in samples or milliseconds depending on what is selected in Preferences)

But a reminder, by default, when a track is input enabled or in record, delay compensation is disabled for that track until it is out of input enabled/record. You can put it in "blue mode" (Auto Low Latency off) to keep delay compensation active when in input enabled/record. (but of course, that means you will be hearing latency during recording)

(Also, a note from personal use: I usually just have the nudge value written and adjust after a pass vs using user offsets. User offsets fix the audio output but the clip/waveform will always look in the wrong place. Nudging fixes that. Otherwise you can end up in a situation where you are trying to align audio on two different tracks but it sounds off due to the user offset still being applied to one of those tracks)
Old 01-14-2023, 12:54 PM

Also, would not recommend Antelope. Terrible company. Terrible support and terrible software (that stupid launcher that is there only for advertising/pushing Antelope goods, having to "activate" hardware to get it to work when you get it new otherwise it does nothing, and terrible long-term support.)

18 months is not a case study on a company. Come back after 3 years of use. (That is if Antelope hasn't already decided to ignore your product for support since they have "new" versions to sell)
Old 01-14-2023, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
I work entirely in the midi domain for production using outboard gear. HDX would allow me to mix everything without tracking to audio stems and that is an insane thing for me, hence DPS plugins with low latency.

With Apollo even though I did most of my mix I had to track everything to audio but it's the same principle.. low latency mass synth input (plus vocals and an instrument, usually a guitar) without any cpu load at a ridiculously low latency. I'd need a very powerful machine to do this at native at 32 buffer. I just like the guaranteed performance and native is left over for audio tracks and insert plugins for those, and VI's if needed.
What smurfyou is suggesting is that HDX1 won't do what you're expecting. I totally agree with him. I sold my HDX2 system last year and happily moved to HDN with no regrets at all.

I think what you really need to be asking are questions like "will I be happy constantly juggling native and DSP resources in the hybrid engine?" and "will latency akin to a native DAW running 64 sample buffers be suitable?" because that is really what you will be walking into with HDX1.

A single HDX card doesn't have enough DSP to track 64 live inputs with 8 sends per channel (4x reverb, 4x cue). That is before you even add a single AAX-DSP plugin. Almost every third-party AAX-DSP plugin also has a minimum of 33 samples of latency too, so you will be running a real world RTL well beyond a modern native DAW at 32 sample buffers.

HDX was an amazing platform when it was first released, but a decade later it is a long way from being a magic bullet. You need to be realistic about what it will actually bring to the party, which in 2023 where stuff like dual native sample buffers are common place, is a lot less than many people are aware of.

The hybrid engine was a real revelation here. It makes for some very easy comparisons between HDX + Native and Native only sessions, and I found HDX was only really conserving about ~8% CPU on my 10-core iMac Pro. For that ~8% savings, a HDX card costs a pretty penny and brings some considerable workflow related baggage with it that a native system avoids entirely.

If it were I, I would be spending the a few extra hundred bucks on a 13900K over the 13700, rather than tossing thousands at a HDX card.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.