Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 01-15-2023, 01:46 PM

Default Axe i/o

Hi everyone !!!

I have an axe io audio interfaz ...i connected to my rca notebook but i cant hear the fx of the AmpliTube 5
The notebook cant Find the axe io AND i cant Find drivers for it
The notebook has an Intel Celeron 1.7 Ghz 6gb ram
Thank u so much for helping
Old 01-15-2023, 03:07 PM

Default Re: Axe i/o

Welcome to DUC.

You likely have two problems here, not having the ASIO driver for the Axe IO and having a significantly underpowered laptop that even if you get it working is likely to be a problem for you.

The expectations for info you should provide to get help on DUC is described under the "Help Us Help You" link up the top of each DUC web page. On Windows that includes you posting a SiSoft Sandra report for your PC, that can be quite useful if you are still having problems trying to install the correct driver. And unfortunately an Intel Celeron 1.7 GHz laptop with 6 GB of memory is really well under what you should be trying to run Pro Tools on. A *lot* depends on what you want to do, esp. running virtual instruments, but what I would normally suggest is 16GB memory (maybe 8GB bare minimum) and at least a 4 core modern processor or equivalent for Pro Tools, and ideally also fast NVMe/SSD storage in the computer (to use for boot/system/sessions/samples. You can also find Avid's minimum systems requirements online, and you are well below them.

Interfaces need ASIO drivers for Pro Tools, ignore claimed Pro Tools WASAPI support and do not use ASIO4ALL .. you need to get the actual ASIO driver from IK for this interface, you need to try to find them thought the stupid broken helpless download center. There is nothing Pro Tools users or Avid can help you with there until you have the driver installed.

That IK download center is the primary reason I would never buy an IK product. That and general customer support woes that seem to emanate from IK. That company is dead to me. Just for guitar interfaces I'd much rather have an old used Eleven Rack (I have three of them), or Fractal (have one), or Kemper or anything that did not involve dealing with IK. I dislike this stuff so much that if you recently purchased this an have time to return it I would encourage you to do that. Lots of folks here can give you rundowns on alternatives.

It's also a weird not-fish not-fowl product. It's not a stand alone guitar amp/cab sim like a Eleven Rack pr Fractal, and it's a limited interface focued on guitars that tries to lock you into Amplitude. And many of the features are likely undeeded. For guitar use, beign able to quickly experiment/dial in stuff I'd much rather have a stand alone amp/cab sim (and you can buy a used Eleven Rack for less than the price of this interface) or if wanting an interface I'd rather have a more general purpose interface and outboard DI/reamp boxes if needed. Especially since this is not nicely integratabtle with other interfaces, has no S/PDIF or ADAT out and in for example. I hope the Satch marketing was not why you purchased this, wonder how much IK is paying Joe (uses a Fractal Axe FX for stuff) to do this.

Once you have the IK ASIO driver for this interface installed in Windows, then hold down the N key while launching Pro Tools, when the playback engine dialog appears select the Axe IO as the playback engine. If you get all that to work and are still having problems then ask back here, otherwise you should be contacting IK support or their support forums.

Next time you create a thread please follow the DUC terms of use and create one thread in one area for your problem. Posting stuff multiple times in different threads just wastes other users time and creates a mess here of separate confused replies and posts. See the Community Terms of Use" link yp the top of each DUC web page.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-15-2023 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-15-2023, 03:40 PM

Doh I missed the obvious, a 1.7Ghz Celeron.... that's an ancient 32-bit x86 processor. It is not capable of running any current 64 bit drivers or 64-bit DAW software (like all Pro Tools releases from Pro Tools 11 onwards.). You need to get a modern computer if you want to use the Axe IO... and be able to run amp sims with it. Or... if you want to use guitar amp sim in a box, and be able to record with it later, again I'd look at used Eleven Rack (few hundred US$). If you do want to do that, say so and I can give you info on what to look for when buying one.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-15-2023 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-15-2023, 04:58 PM

He might get it working with the 32-bit version of Reaper. I emphasis might.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 01-15-2023, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
He might get it working with the 32-bit version of Reaper. I emphasis might.
Systems requirements I see for the Axe I/O all state 64-bit versions of Windows. So likely big nope on 32-bit driver support. And it relies on recent Amplitube amp sim plugins on the host... and they are all 64-bit anyhow so that side would not work.

And IK seriously just run away... and what a cheap tacky sleaze move to rip of Fractal's Axe FX quality name. Seriously Joe Satriani, dude you want to promote that? I'm disappointed in a guitar hero :-( And Joe knows damn well what a Fractal Axe Fx is. [edit: This following comment is completely wrong, I was confusing IK and NI, but leaving here so following comments make sense, happy to delete it all together if others prefer that. And with IK and Izotope now puppets under Francisco Partners and other firm PE ownership... Yikes. Big $ PE funding and expectations in a relatively boutique market place. Good luck with that. Hopefully at least the founders cashed out.]

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 02-15-2023 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-15-2023, 01:04 PM
IK Multimedia

Sorry I didn't see this questionable post sooner:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
SAnd with IK and Izotope now puppets under Francisco Partners and other firm PE ownership...
100% incorrect. IK is and has been privately owned for over two and a half decades. Please do not spread misinformation if you have not fully verified as again this is 100% incorrect and easily verifiable. You make a lot of other claims (and think that the term "axe" as pertaining to guitar-related topics is somehow unique to and legally infringing on one specific company that you happen to use and like...) but I feel that with this one glaring piece of information one can take the rest with a grain of salt. If you'd like to discuss other claims directly, feel free to PM or to contact someone at IK directly. I'd be happy to route you to the right people. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
...it's a limited interface focued on guitars that tries to lock you into Amplitude. And many of the features are likely undeeded.
Also completely inaccurate and easily verifiable that AXE I/O is a capable interface for more than just guitar and in no way locks you into AmpliTube though thank you for noticing that we give a LOT of great AmpliTube software with the very capable audio interface. It is obviously also great for other uses above and beyond guitar. The XLR inputs / preamps are known to be excellent too.

I understand you seem to have a mission to turn people away from IK by any means possible but it would be preferable that you do so with accurate information and opinion rather than stating things as fact that are 100% verifiable as incorrect. Thank you.
Old 02-15-2023, 02:06 PM

My apologies for the total error about San Francisco partners I was totally confusing NI and IK. No excuse for that I'm pretty well aware of what has been going on with those companies, just a total error/mental transposition on my part.

Quote:
You make a lot of other claims (and think that the term "axe" as pertaining to guitar-related topics is somehow unique to and legally infringing on one specific company that you happen to use and like...)
And while I apologize for that error about funding/acquisition, the rip off of Fractal's Axe branding is just a bad look for your company. I never said anything about legally infringing I said "what a cheap tacky sleaze move to rip of Fractal's Axe FX quality name". I have some pretty solid experience as a marketing professional in trademark law and not going to get into either side of what might or might not be a legal trademark issue here. But cheap tacky and sleazy, you bet. And IK have heard all this before on public forums from other folks.

This naming is not going to be an accident and IK must know that people will confuse that with the fantastic brand that Fractal Audio has developed with their Axe-FX products. I like fractal products, have a lowly Fractal FM3, multiple Eleven Racks, and many guitar amp plugins, and a few real guitar amps. I like Fractal products sure, but I also like many others out there.

The IK Axe I/O is neither fish nor fowl, it has some guitar focused features in a basic interface, yet no on-board DSP/guitar processing which I expect will confuse some significant number of new users expecting they are buying a guitar processor/amp sim. Likely I'd not care if IK was not trying to ride on Fractal's brand here, but I'd probably still advise guitar folks find something else, especially if a DSP/guitar processor would better suite their needs/expectations. Heck a used Eleven Rack can be a fantastic option as long as folks understand the implications of end of support life and a few other things.