Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 07-12-2000, 08:34 AM

Default Re: Planning machine room for noisey computer / bit 3, advice please

Is there a lot of heat generated in an ISO box?
Old 07-12-2000, 05:20 PM

If you put your stuff in a seperate room make sure there is plenty of air blowing by your equipment. A couple of little muffen fans won't do it. I've seen guys even rig a small air conditioner to feed the room. The colder the better. Heat kills!

Cheers Craig
Old 07-15-2000, 07:39 AM

I bought an IsoBox awhile back, and I gotta say I really like it. Inside is a 9600 w/ 3 internal drives, a Bit3 7-slot, and 2 18 gig Cheetahs. The Bit3 is SO noisy, and w/ the IsoBox, it's amazingly quiet. There's just a small low-end whirr from the IsoBox's fans in the back of the box (which would probably be inaudible if the box was under the console or something, or at least a few more feet away), and virtually none of the noise from the gear. So there's that.

------------------
Joe Milner
Puget Sound
Los Angeles

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook
Old 07-15-2000, 07:44 AM

Also, a couple weeks ago I was printmastering a film I'd mixed, and brought my CPU and Bit3 to the stage. They had a 50-foot ADB cable, and a 50-foot Monitor cable as well. I'd always been told that the ADB limit was 15 feet or whatever, and that to get that kind of extension you needed a Gefen box, blah blah. Well, this worked perfectly. No problems. On Monday I'll call the stage and find out the details on these cables and post them, because it sure was simple!

------------------
Joe Milner
Puget Sound
Los Angeles

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook
Old 07-15-2000, 08:02 AM
Jim Clark

I also bought 25' extensions from Geffen for my monitors and keyboard - it's a beautiful thing! Never had a problem.

Old 07-15-2000, 10:38 AM

Ahh, all you guys need to learn to solder!!

My computers are in a different room...I simply bought multi-conductor cable from the local electronics store, cut and lengthned my ADB, midi and printer cables, then cut the monitor cable and extended it with 5 pcs of shielded cable and a multi for the rest of the wires. For the floppy drive (9600/350) I got a 12 foot piece of ribbon cable and squeezed the correct ends on it (availiable from Radil shack) with a small vice, removed the floppy from the computer and mounted it under my desktop...lets' see, what's left... scsi- just buy a longer cable..that ones' a toughie, unless you use 50 wire ribbon cable, then it's a breeze... It really doesnt take long to extend existing cables this way, and the type of cable is not really all that critical as long as you use shielded wire where needed and make reasonable solder joints and insulate them well, and obviously don't get the wires mixed up. I've made Midi cables as long as 150 feet with no problem...ADB cables 20 feet so far-so good, printer cables 30 feet, video cables 50 feet..it all just works and I don't spend a ton of money on the expensive stuff...
Old 07-16-2000, 03:12 PM

I also have my G4/drives/interfaces in my machine room/closet . Like Stadler , I just extended the cables as needed. It all works great , and I REALLY love the quiet ! ! !
Paul Avgerinos , Studio-Unicorn.com