Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2009, 02:11 AM

Default Mbox 2 causing Macbook to freeze (according to Apple)

Hi there,

I'm having a lot of trouble with my Macbook freezing and being asked to be shut down manually when I quit applications (Firefox, I Tunes, Spotify, Pro Tools). I contacted Apple, and they diagnosed the problem as being related to the Mbox 2 USB connection. They suggested rolling back the driver for Pro Tools 8 which I updated at the start of the year. Since the update, there have been several incidents like the above.

Anyone got any ideas as how to solve this issue?

Many Thanks

Joe
Old 08-19-2009, 09:12 AM

Default Re: Mbox 2 causing Macbook to freeze (according to Apple)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethomas View Post
Hi there,

I'm having a lot of trouble with my Macbook freezing and being asked to be shut down manually when I quit applications (Firefox, I Tunes, Spotify, Pro Tools). I contacted Apple, and they diagnosed the problem as being related to the Mbox 2 USB connection. They suggested rolling back the driver for Pro Tools 8 which I updated at the start of the year. Since the update, there have been several incidents like the above.

Anyone got any ideas as how to solve this issue?

Many Thanks

Joe
Hey Joe,

I use a similar setup on my MacBook Pro but have not encountered any of the problems that you are experiencing. I use this set up with an MBox 2 or MBox Micro running ProTools LE 8 but have had none of the problems you are experiencing.

This would say to me that it is unlikely therefore to be down to the USB2 connection to the MBox 2 otherwise we would all be suffering the same problems.

Does the Macbook freeze when the MBox2 is not attached?
Old 08-19-2009, 10:30 AM

Hi,
well the problem doesn't exist if the Mbox 2 USB cable isn't connected, therefore suggesting this is the problem.

I have done some reading of similar threads and it seems these kernel panic problems are not an uncommon problem.

From reading these threads I have realised that the USB should only be connected or disconnected when the computer is off. So I am going to try this approach and see if I experience any similar problems.

Cheers
Old 08-19-2009, 01:30 PM

The kernel panic issue was addressed in cs3. If you haven't downloaded it yet, i'd recommend it pronto. This seemed to fix the problem for most of those encountering it, myself included. This was a pretty common issue for the usb interfaces.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchrd View Post
The kernel panic issue was addressed in cs3. If you haven't downloaded it yet, i'd recommend it pronto. This seemed to fix the problem for most of those encountering it, myself included. This was a pretty common issue for the usb interfaces.
ok, thanks
Old 08-24-2009, 12:04 PM

Default .