Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2009, 10:45 PM

Default bounce to disk help!

attempting to bounce a song to disk, but when I pop it in my CD player, I get a bunch of clicking, and digital artifacts.

What sample rate, conversion rate and format should I be using.

I have been trying 44.1, 16 bit stereo inter, but doesn't seem to work properly. I do get sound but a bunch of background s*it too!

thanks
Old 06-16-2009, 11:03 PM

Default Re: bounce to disk help!

Wav 16 bit 44.1 kHz stereo interleaved

Make sure your burning program is set to Audio CD, not DATA
Old 06-16-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztlan2010 View Post
attempting to bounce a song to disk, but when I pop it in my CD player, I get a bunch of clicking, and digital artifacts.

What sample rate, conversion rate and format should I be using.

I have been trying 44.1, 16 bit stereo inter, but doesn't seem to work properly. I do get sound but a bunch of background s*it too!

thanks

As all red book cds are created using AIFF files then you should bounce your files as joined stereo AIFF files ay 44.1, 16 bit. This means that there is one less conversion process involved in burning your cd.

What software are you using to burn your cds?

Also interested to know at what resolution the original session is at? It could be a conversion issue from a higher resolution recording to the 44.1, 16 bit final bounce (although I have to say that this is unlikely).

As far as background crap is concerned, this has to be there on the original recording.

As a point of interest, what happens if you import your bounced file back into your Pro-Tools session? Do you hear the artiacts & background noise then too? If not then it has to be an issue with your cd burning software.

Hope this helps in some way.

Cheers
Old 06-17-2009, 12:14 AM

thanks!

the original session was at 192 (this was my first song in PTHD after a 10 year hiatus) I'm thinking future sessions don't need to be at 192?

I'm using iTunes to burn to CD as it's just to hear the mix at different places. Is there a better program I should be using?

So AIFF and not WAV? 44.1, 16 bit, got it!
Old 06-17-2009, 12:46 AM

Quote:
thanks!

the original session was at 192 (this was my first song in PTHD after a 10 year hiatus) I'm thinking future sessions don't need to be at 192?

I'm using iTunes to burn to CD as it's just to hear the mix at different places. Is there a better program I should be using?

So AIFF and not WAV? 44.1, 16 bit, got it!

Roxio's TOAST.

ITunes, I believe, makes a cd using MP3 files which are obviously of much inferior quality. That is most likely the problem right there.

Good luck
Old 06-17-2009, 01:02 AM

As BA said does it have the same issues when you import the file back into Pro Tools? If it does, it could be a bouncing issue. Personally I would never bounce a mix, I would always record it onto an available audio track using bus sends. Bouncing basically loads the file onto the RAM and writes it once the track has finished so if you have a lot going on your RAM can start tripping out and using swap files which is bad for bounces!
S6 M10
SSL Duality, AWS924, AWS948, Nucleus
All Mac
Old 06-17-2009, 02:30 AM

Just picked up Roxio Toast 10, thanks for the advice.

So youngas, if I bus them all to a stereo mix, how would you quickly get that stereo mix burned to a CD?

thanks all!
Old 06-17-2009, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Just picked up Roxio Toast 10, thanks for the advice.

So youngas, if I bus them all to a stereo mix, how would you quickly get that stereo mix burned to a CD?

thanks all!
region list menu, "export regions as files", choose target folder and 44.1/16/aiff/inter
Old 06-17-2009, 03:36 AM

FWIW---I use .WAV files, not AIFF---so it doesn't require AIFF. In fact, WAV files are a standard even on the Mac now.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AchimHamburg View Post
region list menu, "export regions as files", choose target folder and 44.1/16/aiff/inter
That is one way, my preferred method is to make a new session, Import the new mixdown, top and tail it, fade in/out etc and maybe a touch of maxim or ultramaximiser if it's not being mastered anywhere.
S6 M10
SSL Duality, AWS924, AWS948, Nucleus
All Mac