Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-07-2002, 10:11 AM

Default Digi 001 + Logic

Hey I would like to know from the guys that run Logic on their Digi 001 system, can Logic open the RTAS plugins. I got some really cool ones and if I went with Logic could they be used. I worked at a studio over the summer that had a huge TDM system, supposedly the largest in the New England area, ( whatever). Anyway I know they used Logic exculsivly with their digidesign hardware and I know they could use the TDM plugin as well as the RTAS. Could this be done with a digi 001 setup and RTAS?

Nelson
Old 02-07-2002, 11:14 AM

Default Re: Digi 001 + Logic

no, unfortunately [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Adaptec SCSI
Old 02-07-2002, 01:22 PM

RTAS is the proprietary digidesign plug-in format. It won't run on anything but ProTools.

Logic Audio can run Audio Suite and TDM plug-ins with a TDM card. I had no idea that it could run RTAS plug-ins, even with a TDM card.

6am eternal
Old 02-08-2002, 09:26 AM

does Logic on a Mac need OMS?
Old 02-08-2002, 10:46 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by tommydee:
does Logic on a Mac need OMS?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No.

But, if you want to run non Logic soft synths or Samplers - then maybe. If you want to use a non emagic or MTP capable MIDI interface, then yes.
Old 02-08-2002, 08:22 PM

I am pretty sure that if you have logic and the 001, you could get waves native stuff and use the VST waveshell in logic.
Old 02-09-2002, 06:18 PM

Hi, I use Logic+Digi 001 - have done for some time now. As you've probably realised by now you can't use RTAS plug ins. But Logic comes with some far more interesting plug ins than PT LE, as well as the usual practical ones (compressors etc). Also you can download heaps of free VST plug ins off the net, and some are great.
Check out logicuser.net for some links.
Logic requires OMS if you use the Digi001's midi, but it's much better to buy an MT4 (2 in 4 out midi interface made by Emagic). Rock solid Midi timing. The main reason why I rarely use PT LE now is cos the midi is so limited and the timing can be erratic.
I'd say if you've got the cash, don't hesitate.Logic is a wicked program. Some people say it's complicated but I haven;t found that to be the case, and it's very reliable, hardly crashes at all.
I didn't find PT LE so reliable.
Another thing - if you get Logic you must get EXS24, Logic's own Sampler. Superb.
OMS not required for this, or any of the internal soft synths used from within Logic.
Old 02-10-2002, 04:38 AM

There is one other thing I should mention that could influence your choice to buy:
When recording audio into PT LE it's possible to monitor in real time through PT's mixer what you're recording, and use PT's plug Ins on your input channel, eg to give a singer some reverb in the cans, but record the vocal dry, and record the vocals with some compresion on it etc.

In Logic it's not so easy. Firstly you can't use Logic's plug Ins on live inputs, and secondly there is about a 1/2 second delay in hearing what you're recording, coming back to digi's outputs via Logic's mixer. This is called latency.

These problems are solved with an external mixer, fx processor (for reverb), and compressor.

I have a Mackie 1202 VLZ mixer, Behringer Composer Pro compressor, and TC Electronic M One fx processor.
Total cost about £650, probably 2/3 that in the states.

With that I have a very flexible system with far more inputs and outputs than if I just had the 001, infinitely better reverb than
D Verb (the M One's reverb is supeb, plus it's actually two fx processors in one and has delays, flangers, phasers, chorus etc), and much better reverb.
I'm about to buy a patch bay which should round things off nicely.

Also having external processing saves on
CPU usage. Reverb plug Ins are hungry CPU users. I've got TC Electronic's reverb plug in for VST (to use with Logic), and whilst it's very good, it's not as good as the M One. Incidently the TC plug is one of the least hungry ones - certainly seems that way to me.

The VST plug Ins I use generally seem a lot less hungry than the RTAS ones.

I must also re-iterate that Logic definitely seems to be a more "robust" program in terms of crashes, sessions becoming corrupted etc (which used to happen to me in PT LE). It seems to more happily exist alongside other programs in my computer than PT LE.

I have a customised extension set for both PT LE and Logic, and whilst it was pretty important to use this with PT LE, it doesn't seem to make much difference one way or another with Logic - the program seems to behave itself whether I use it or not.

I'll write some more if I think of it.
Old 02-10-2002, 04:45 AM

Oh - and the waves plug ins....
I tried the gold pack demo for RTAS and one of the reverbs in there (I think it was the rennaisance one) only allowed me one instance before I ran out of CPU, and the quality certainly didn't hit me in the face like the M One did.

I can't speak for the VST versions because I haven't tried them.

In my opinion D Verb is better sounding than platinum verb (Logic), although you can do more creative things with platinum verb - it has more parameters to tweak.
Old 02-10-2002, 08:04 AM

Great stuff for prospective Logic + digi001 users Tim (no relation to Thom Yorke then eh?)

To reduce latency while recording in logic, set the buffer delay to 0.125 or 0.25 in the audio driver preferences within logic. I find (to my guitarist ears) that the latency is no worse than with the 128 sample buffer in PTLE. FWIW, I never use low latency monitoring, since using plugins is usually a part of the track building process.

As an aside, the coolest, best sounding reverb for VST is silverspike's reverb.it. It cost me $39, and puts reverbs costing alot more (including Renverb and Realverb) to shame. There is a sincere interest in porting this to RTAS - so PTLE users should stay tuned. The only downside is that its a major CPU hog, running it on 100 to 150 % quality with the high and low damping features uses up over 50 to 60 % CPU on my 867, and cannot be done with my Ti400. I usually end up doing a dedicated bounce of the reverb bus in its highest quality mode with everything else off, then turning down the quality (and CPU use) when doing everything else. Try it out in demo version, it sounds sublime.