Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 10-29-2022, 03:34 PM

Default Carbon and Quad Cortex - Using Aux In for Quad Cortex audio

I have the Carbon interface, but it’s temporarily in storage while my house is renovated. I also have a Quad Cortex guitar amp modeller. The Quad Cortex is a core audio usb device and can record up to 8 tracks, full guitar amp/fx chain, dry guitar tracks etc.

At the moment, If tracking with a band I would use the normal Carbon low latency for all users and just record the main full Quad Cortex and use it to monitor for everyone. Because I can’t run both the Carbon and the QC sound card together, I can’t use the QC usb to record the dry tracks. So I then go back in re-record all the guitar parts, and all the other guitar parts too using the QC usb as the sound card, and capture the guitar dry signal, no fx signal etc, to give me more options at mix down.

Now with Aux IO am I correct in thinking that if I use the audio out from the QC into Carbon, I would be also be able to add the Quad Cortex usb IO as additional IO along side Carbon, and be able get all the additional tracks at the same time as I am tracking with the band through Carbon system?

The audio out from QC would give the guaranteed low latency signal through Carbon, and the Quad Cortex usb audio wouldn’t be required in real time so latency wouldn’t be an issue, and the tracks could be muted anyway.

I’m pretty sure I will be able to do this, but can’t test it just yet. It would be great if you could as pretty much all the major guitar processors these days (Quad Cortex, Axe Fx 3, Helix etc) have usb and are core audio, and can record the dry guitar tracks. It was always frustrating having to use a DI box to get a dry guitar signal when I couldn’t use the usb of the QC because I was tracking with the band.