Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 07-25-2022, 04:25 PM

Default iLok USB connection on thunderbolt laptop?

My Macbook Pro 2019 has thunderbolt ports. What hub are you using to plug in your USB iLoks? Will this work?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KZVUE826&psc=1
Old 07-25-2022, 04:38 PM

Default Re: iLok USB connection on thunderbolt laptop?

You can just use the Apple USB-C to USB Adapter if that will work for you. In which case it acts as a handy dongle buddy/protector as well.

But if you want a docking station there are much better ones than the junkier one you pointed at. Starting with what is likely the market leading one: https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/owc-thunderbolt-dock

OWC make other models as well, look at those as well.
Old 07-25-2022, 05:27 PM

I use something similar to the one you show on Amazon (which I bought there as well).

Check the ratings and if they are good then go for it.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 07-25-2022, 06:45 PM

Thanks! Looks like I have to have an adapter for everything on that, even LAN and headphones.
Old 07-25-2022, 08:02 PM

I have used everything from Apple’s USB-C multimedia adaptor and USB-C adaptor to expensive and cheap USB-C hubs. All have worked fine with my iLoks. I’m sure there is one that doesn’t work but I haven’t stumbled on it yet.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 07-25-2022, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean shannon View Post
My Macbook Pro 2019 has thunderbolt ports. What hub are you using to plug in your USB iLoks? Will this work?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KZVUE826&psc=1
Be careful, this is not a Thunderbolt dock. If you are going to all the effort of getting a dock on a modern Mac getting a USB-C USB only dock seems a waste of effort. Get a Thunderbolt dock from a quality vendor where you can use Thunderbolt chaining, sufficient power delivery to charge the laptop etc. (this one actually claims lots of power, but I'd be a little dubious) and all the connected audio etc. devices onboard are known to work well with Mac and the box is Thunderbolt certified.

Cheap and crappy manufacturers like here talking about "Thunderbolt" are deliberately relying on user confusion and their slippery words only mean it's compatible with Thunderbolt 3 ports, but it's USB only, does not actually support any Thunderbolt, does not give you Thunderbolt chaining or expansion (with Thunderbolt 4). etc.

If all you want to do is connect a iLok then yes just about anything should work. If you want a dock, you can do much better.
Old 07-25-2022, 09:37 PM

I want to be able to connect my iLoks and headphones to my Macbook Pro. For hard drives, etc., I'll plug those in directly.
Old 07-25-2022, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean shannon View Post
I want to be able to connect my iLoks and headphones to my Macbook Pro. For hard drives, etc., I'll plug those in directly.
Your MacBook Pro has a 3.5mm headphone port, that's likely to work better than the port in some cheap hub. If you want a higher end DAC, there are lots of other choices (and might be best to get one that does not rely on typically high latency class compliant drivers, if you were going to use it to track with say an aggregate device.. don't think you are?).
Old 07-25-2022, 10:55 PM

Yay! I did not see that. I get the macbook this week. So all I need to do is plug in my iLoks. Mixbus 32C doesn't even require that! I have a Focusrite 2i4 I can throw in my bag for mixing too. I suppose I need a USB adapter for that too LOL.
Old 07-25-2022, 11:04 PM

What you should probably get regardless of having a dock or not is a couple of Apple USB-C to USB dongles they are $19 each and just handy to have with you. Ditto over time you'll find out if there are any other Apple dongles that would be handy and eventually have a few in your go case, even if you have a hub. You can also find a USB-C to USB Type B cable, and just directly connect your interface to the MacBook Pro USB-C ports. Anything should work there... it's literally just dumb wires.