Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 08-26-2004, 08:58 AM

Default Protools AAF export

Trying to get an AAF export from Protools 6x into an Avid when the project does not have "enforce Avid compatability" selected on output and therefore also does not have hundreds of additional "sample accurate fade files" too!

If not - an AAF to OMF converter? (apart from Avid)

Thanks

Matt Vowles
Dubbing Mixer
Granada Television
Bristol
Old 08-26-2004, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Protools AAF export

DigiTranslator 2 is require for AAF import & export... there's a demo available.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 08-26-2004, 03:10 PM

Rail,
I can't find the demo . . . though I'd like to.

thanks
jim
Old 08-26-2004, 03:11 PM

It should be available when you install Pro Tools.. but I'll look for it online.. it's here somewhere.

I believe the first one here will run as a demo.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 08-26-2004, 03:37 PM

This is already using DigiTranslator 2 to produce the AAF file. Importing into Avid or Audiofile SC from here is the problem. Another 3rd party stand alone AAF reader/cleaner would be helpful here.

Matt.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:02 AM

i just tried exporting an aaf as you described, and found it did open in avid (adrenalin) but it did not include the media (so i could not hear anything - avid claimed they were all offline) and it definitely did still have the sample accurate additions.

You are probably better of making do with the annoying little edits in your OMF. One of our editors here says he just selects all the sample accurate edits in his project bin and then deletes them.

Another sound editor told me he used to avoid them by just working in grid mode, and manually quantising every edit to the frame boundary before exporting the file - sounds like too much work to me!
Old 08-27-2004, 03:06 PM

I don't believe Pro Tools/Digitranslator will do an OMF or AAF export with embedded media. Every time I've done this, I've had to drop all the media files manually into the OMFI MediaFiles folder on one of the Avid media drives, let the Avid rescan the drive, and then it will show the media as online.
San Francisco, CA
Old 08-28-2004, 04:23 AM

You will have to put up with the one frame "sample accurate" edits when you are trying to export from Pro Tools into a frame-based editor such as Avids. You must select to quantize to frame boundaries when exporting to those systems. In order for your sample accurate edits to sound exactly the same, they are padded out to the next video frame boundary with silence. If one of them contains the attack of a music downbeat, or a consonate sound, and your video editor deletes them all with one stroke, he should still be able to trim the edit out to get it back, but will of course not be able to duplicate the exact point of your edit because he is confined to video frame boundaries.

You can export omf files with embedded media. One of the format selections will be embedded. I've used it for years when sending stems to Avids.

I can say for sure that with 29.97 frame rate, I could not eliminate the one frame edit clutter. I went through and by hand cleaned up every edit to frame boundaries but still got lots of those sample accurate things in my exports.
Old 08-28-2004, 05:48 AM

I believe the only way to use AAF export sucessfully is to share the media files on a drive or server. It is not an option to embed the audio files like we are used to do when using OMF. We tested AAF in our post production studios and concluded that we have to keep on using OMF. The world is not perfect, and certainly not when it comes to sharing projects with other platforms...

Helge K.