Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 03-23-2021, 12:50 PM

Default Processor recommendations for new MacPro

We're finally upgrading our mid-2012 MacPros to new and am wondering if anyone has a recommendation for the CPU? 12-core? 16-core? Is the 8-core enough?

We'd load them with minimum 48GB RAM and probably bump up the graphics to Radeon Pro W5700X with 16GB.

We will NOT be using Avid hardware in most of the machines but using Thunderbolt to Focusrite Dante. We do have two systems that will retain HDX-2 cards as we need 128-IO on both of those, but the rest can certainly run on the 32-IO limitation.

Thanks for the help. We want to move on these quickly before Apple turns everything into M1, knowing it's going to take Avid quite a while to catch-up.
Old 03-23-2021, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Processor recommendations for new MacPro

Thanks, Darryl... all good thoughts. All five systems will be identical with the exception of the two systems with HDX2. Totally agree with the 3rd party memory... OWC good pricing.

As far as storage, we're all tied to a 2PetaByte SAN system via 10GB ethernet, so local storage is rarely used for anything except booting and apps. The SAN is mirrored to a NAS that's the same size, plus we've also got a massive tape backup system for all of it.

If throughput to the SAN via 10GBe isn't fast enough, we can always add a dual fiber-channel card as we've got that in each room, as well. We just figured audio bandwidth didn't have the requirements compared to our video guys pushing 4K HDR back-n-forth.

Thanks again for the thoughts!
Old 03-23-2021, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Seaberg View Post
We're finally upgrading our mid-2012 MacPros to new and am wondering if anyone has a recommendation for the CPU? 12-core? 16-core? Is the 8-core enough?

We'd load them with minimum 48GB RAM and probably bump up the graphics to Radeon Pro W5700X with 16GB.

We will NOT be using Avid hardware in most of the machines but using Thunderbolt to Focusrite Dante. We do have two systems that will retain HDX-2 cards as we need 128-IO on both of those, but the rest can certainly run on the 32-IO limitation.

Thanks for the help. We want to move on these quickly before Apple turns everything into M1, knowing it's going to take Avid quite a while to catch-up.

Upgraded to the 7.1 with the 16 core. If you check specs it’s the best advancement for where your coming from. Running 384 gigs of ram and Sonnet m.2 cards with Samsung SSD ‘s on HDX 3 system for ATMOS and other audio. Don’t know if you need video capabilities or audio. Been very stable and quick compared to old duel 6.1’s system for scoring with VEP and VI’s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2021, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Eric, you probably know I'm as storage and tech geek, I love your description of what you have and love seeing NAS for backups. . Outside of my audio hobby my professional work has me working with some incredible folks developing technology for large fast networks, 100 Gbit Ethernet and beyond is so danged impressive and that technology will keep trickling down (and yes keep eating Fiber Channel... but historically yes nice call to go SAN+NAS).
The system we have is from Scale Logic, who are pretty big stuff in the post-production world. We've had the system a little over two years and it just ROCKS!!
Old 03-24-2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzone View Post
Don’t know if you need video capabilities or audio.
Strictly audio but a couple of these systems are doing audio post to picture, so we will upgrade all of them to the "midfield" Radeon W5700Z graphics card.

Thanks again for the thoughts!!
Old 03-24-2021, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Seaberg View Post
Strictly audio
You would be fine with a 2002 G4 laptop then. Assuming I understand your workflow the slightest, you should put your money into GPU and memory. CPU will be more than enough for you even if you opted for the cheapest.
Old 03-24-2021, 11:58 AM

Worth noting is the rack version can open / add / remove cards without unplugging-all on backside as you’ll need to do with the tower version.
Old 03-24-2021, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
You would be fine with a 2002 G4 laptop then. Assuming I understand your workflow the slightest, you should put your money into GPU and memory. CPU will be more than enough for you even if you opted for the cheapest.
Actually we've settled on a config that our production systems engineers recently built for some of our video editors, Avid, Premiere & DaVinci, and we decided to build the same systems for audio. It'll be a lot of horsepower, but they want to keep everyone the same. Will probably add dual-channel fiber cards to get faster access to the SAN.
Old 03-24-2021, 07:05 PM

Just curious - Why are you asking here if you have your own ”production systems engineers” plural?? Seems weird IMO

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 03-24-2021, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Just curious - Why are you asking here if you have your own ”production systems engineers” plural?? Seems weird IMO
Because this 'group' may have gone through stuff that we haven't discovered yet!! Our engineering team pushes the edge for all of our video editors... while watching Avid video lists for problems... but we wanted some honest input as to what audio requirements/problems would be making this move. Based on replies I received in previous posts, we decided to make all our new MacPro purchases configured the same as what our video editors have.

Tried to save some money and decided it wasn't worth it... does that answer your question?