Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2021, 02:43 PM

Default MTRX Studio Not Detected By DADman***SOLVED***

***RESOLVED***IT WAS THE FIREWALL!!!***

Just received my new MTRX Studio. After making all connections and installing software, the MTRX does not show up in DADman Device List.

*Dell laptop, Win 10, i9, 32GB ram; connected to external HDX card via TB3
*MRTX connected to external HDX card, both Digilink ports; 8 outboard
preamps connected via DB25 to analog in 1-8, outboard EQ and compressor
connected via DB25 to analog in/out 9-16
*Dell & MTRX connected to Gigabit PoE hub (cat6 cable from hub to MTRX),
all lights flashing on hub and on MTRX Dante port 1; ethernet2 is
successfully communicating with an external WD NAS backup drive.
*Dante Virtual Sound Card running: ASIO, 8x8, 6ms, Ethernet2, 1Gbs
*IP addresses are: Dell ethernet2 port 169.254.206.28/submask 255.255.0.0,
MTRX 169.254.42.48/submask ???
*Ethernet2 port on Dell and MTRX IP set to Automatic; no other ports are
enabled on Dell
*Dante Controller can see MTRX and Dante Virtual Soundcard (Dell Laptop),
sync is green; when I stop VSC, the Dell Laptop disappears from Dante
Controller
*Dante Via can see MTRX when I open it
*routing subscribed (green check marks): VSC Dell channels 1-8
routed to MTRX channels 1-8 on both transmitter and receiver. I'm not sure
if this is right routing
*Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.3.1, opened a session, Hardware Engine shows
MTRX Port 1 and Port 2, but I can't click identify (grayed out); Playback
Engine = HDX, 1024 samples, 256 voices; I/O correctly defaults to 64
channels from MTRX
*Pro Tools playback engine drop down can see Dante Virtual Soundcard
(x64)
*Microphone connected to Analog input 1, signal is seen on front of MTRX
*When I play Pro Tools session, all appears normal, signals on all tracks,
output routed properly to Play 1-2, but no sound, no playback signal on
front of MTRX; no microphone signal on record enabled track in Pro Tools

In summary, I think everything is connected correctly, as the MTRX is recognized by Dante Controller, Dante Virtual Soundcard, Dante Via, gigabit hub, microphone shows a signal on channel 1 on front of MTRX - lights are blinking everywhere! But, MTRX does not appear on DADman screen after refresh, nor does any other device. Signals go into MTRX, but that's where it stops; no signals going out from MTRX to Pro Tools or monitors. I have done hard reset of the MTRX, uninstalled and reinstalled all the software, tried various static IP addresses for Dell and MTRX, but no joy. I have read the appropriate sections of the installation and operating manuals, searched the DUC, watched videos, etc.

I have an active case set up with AVID tech support, #04184792. However, any assistance here on DUC would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping it's because of simple operator error.

Thank you in advance to all the fine folks here on the DUC.

-Nick

Last edited by nsureit; 06-23-2021 at 08:59 PM.
Old 06-06-2021, 09:17 PM

Default Re: MTRX Studio Not Detected By DADman

169.xxx.xxx.xxx is an internal (not allocated) address.

Does the port on your Dell have a similar address (do an ipconfig from a cmd window on your Windows computer)? If not, your Dell and the MTRX Studio are on different subnets.
Old 06-06-2021, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
169.xxx.xxx.xxx is an internal (not allocated) address.

Does the port on your Dell have a similar address (do an ipconfig from a cmd window on your Windows computer)? If not, your Dell and the MTRX Studio are on different subnets.
Sorry, I was not clear.

IP addresses are: Dell ethernet2 port 169.254.xxx.xx/sub 255.255.0.0,
MTRX 169.254.xx.xx/sub ???. How do I find subnet for MTRX?
Old 06-06-2021, 10:38 PM

What you are referring to as a "sub" is referring to masking. But in either case you are fine.

My guess is your ethernet priorities. I'm guessing you have more than one NIC connection on your Dell. The Dell is communicating out of say NIC1 that has actual internet access but your MTRX is hooked to NIC2. The simplest thing is avoid all this and put your MTRX on your network switch so it has a valid IP address and your Dell is only hooked to a network via 1 NIC (the same one you have data/Internet communication.) There is no downside to having the MTRX on your regular ethernet (DADman is very light on the network)

Dante is different. You can choose what NIC you want to bind communication to so it isn't using the priority NIC of the operating system (which defaults on Windows to the one that actually has internet/WAN access)

Basic troubleshooting when there are network issues is build the simplest network.
Old 06-06-2021, 10:54 PM

So physically, how do I configure this? I believe my Dell laptop has an ethernet port NIC, and it also has a wireless network controller. I communicate with the internet wirelessly as my studio is upstairs and not hardwired.

Dell is connected via ethernet port to the gigabit switch. There are 4 ports to connect client devices. I have connected the MTRX to one, and my Western Digital NAS backup drive to another. The lights are blinking on all devices.

Dante Controller shows the Dell as a Virtual Soundcard and the MTRX as devices. Dante Controller shows communication and latency readings between the two devices, yet the MTRX is not detected in DADman as a device. Dante Controller also shows that the selected primary shared interface to communicate with all Dante devices is the Dell 169.254.xxx.xx.

Last edited by nsureit; 06-06-2021 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-06-2021, 11:08 PM

Well, first troubleshoot. Turn off your wireless. Restart both computer and MTRX Studio (this is just to force both to only see the ethernet port connection) and see if DADman sees the MTRX Studio (also, make sure Windows firewall is not interfering -- this is especially true if Windows identifies this adhoc network as "public" vs "private" or "work" -- it will put up communication barriers)

if it does work, then turn the wireless on. See if you loose communication with the MTRX. If you don't, restart the computer and see if you can still see the MTRX (with wireless on.) If you don't, turn wireless off so you can communicate with the MTRX again and give both your computer's ethernet port and the MTRX static IP addresses like 10.0.1.xxx with a "router" address of 10.0.1.1. Doing so convinces Windows that it is a valid network (and not ad-hoc). Then turn wireless back on.

Ignore Dante at this moment. It's irrelevant. It uses a different identification system to see devices. Just because it works doesn't tell you anything about other communication protocols.
Old 06-06-2021, 11:24 PM

I think I understand what you’re saying. I’ll try it.

Interestingly, Windows says my Dell Ethernet port is an “unidentified (public) network” with no internet connection. You may have hit on the issue.

Will report back tomorrow.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsureit View Post
Just received my new MTRX Studio. After making all connections and installing software, the MTRX does not show up in DADman Device List.

*Dell laptop, Win 10, i9, 32GB ram; connected to external HDX card via TB3
*MRTX connected to external HDX card, both Digilink ports; 8 outboard
preamps connected via DB25 to analog in 1-8, outboard EQ and compressor
connected via DB25 to analog in/out 9-16
*Dell & MTRX connected to Gigabit PoE hub (cat6 cable from hub to MTRX),
all lights flashing on hub and on MTRX Dante port 1; ethernet2 is
successfully communicating with an external WD NAS backup drive.
*Dante Virtual Sound Card running: ASIO, 8x8, 6ms, Ethernet2, 1Gbs
*IP addresses are: Dell ethernet2 port 169.254.206.28/submask 255.255.0.0,
MTRX 169.254.42.48/submask ???
*Ethernet2 port on Dell and MTRX IP set to Automatic; no other ports are
enabled on Dell
*Dante Controller can see MTRX and Dante Virtual Soundcard (Dell Laptop),
sync is green; when I stop VSC, the Dell Laptop disappears from Dante
Controller
*Dante Via can see MTRX when I open it
*routing subscribed (green check marks): VSC Dell channels 1-8
routed to MTRX channels 1-8 on both transmitter and receiver. I'm not sure
if this is right routing
*Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.3.1, opened a session, Hardware Engine shows
MTRX Port 1 and Port 2, but I can't click identify (grayed out); Playback
Engine = HDX, 1024 samples, 256 voices; I/O correctly defaults to 64
channels from MTRX
*Pro Tools playback engine drop down can see Dante Virtual Soundcard
(x64)
*Microphone connected to Analog input 1, signal is seen on front of MTRX
*When I play Pro Tools session, all appears normal, signals on all tracks,
output routed properly to Play 1-2, but no sound, no playback signal on
front of MTRX; no microphone signal on record enabled track in Pro Tools

In summary, I think everything is connected correctly, as the MTRX is recognized by Dante Controller, Dante Virtual Soundcard, Dante Via, gigabit hub, microphone shows a signal on channel 1 on front of MTRX - lights are blinking everywhere! But, MTRX does not appear on DADman screen after refresh, nor does any other device. Signals go into MTRX, but that's where it stops; no signals going out from MTRX to Pro Tools or monitors. I have done hard reset of the MTRX, uninstalled and reinstalled all the software, tried various static IP addresses for Dell and MTRX, but no joy. I have read the appropriate sections of the installation and operating manuals, searched the DUC, watched videos, etc.

I have an active case set up with AVID tech support, #04184792. However, any assistance here on DUC would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping it's because of simple operator error.

Thank you in advance to all the fine folks here on the DUC.

-Nick
It is most likely your Windows firewall (or oher firewall/security software) that is blocking DADman. Either disable your firewall or check the firewall settings to make sure DADman is allowed to pass.
Old 06-07-2021, 07:58 AM

IT WAS THE FIREWALL!

Once I turned off the public network firewall, DADman connected to the MTRX. To keep the firewall on, I added C:\Program Files\Digital Audio Denmark\DADman.exe as an exception to the Windows Defender firewall.

BScout and Jan, you guys ROCK.

I will now venture down into the rabbit hole of routing...