Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 04-27-2012, 08:42 PM

Default Re: 10.1.2 Update = Complete Disgust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Understood, and I think we have enough to go on now so it might be best if you have a setup that works to stick with that for a bit while we investigate.
Well I'm back up to 10.1.3 (update from 10.1.2) and I'm right back where I started... not working! But I'll hang and wait to see what transpires...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Also, would you mind if we changed the title of this thread to help keep it on track and make it easier for others to find? Something like "10.1.2 crashes when changing Playback Engine settings" or ?
Of course I wouldn't mind... Anything for the greater good of the Community!

---------------------------------------
MacBook Pro 17-inch (Early 2011), 2.2 GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, 8GB SDRAM, 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 RPM, Lion 10.7.3, Pro Tools 10.1.3
Old 04-28-2012, 11:59 AM

Default Re: 10.1.2 Update = Complete Disgust!

Just to specify I am still experiencing PT crashes after having tried to change any buffersize to 1024 too. Any other setting (128, 512 etc.) I can use without having problems (also going back from 1024 to lower sizes) but whenever changing to 1024 causes PT to crash immediatley. The solution Avid suggests in the PDF which comes with 10.1.3 as it is to go to Pro Tools Agregate first then go back to 003 and 1024 did not work in the end as it helped not to crash PT at the first moment but the audio engine got stucked, confused and finally PT just stopped working.
So there is still no solution for the change-to-1024buffersize-issue unfortunately (which has been posted by many DUC users since 10.0.1).
I still have to use the workaround which means to select it, shut down the session and reopen it again (which does work actually but its not cool if you have to do it all the time).
2nd still unsolved issue is that I can´t use the Avid/003/Core Driver for my mastering application and any reference listening anymore which is def a problem (not only for me but for many users as you can read in the DUC)!
PLEASE, Avid, give us 003-users back this opportunity!
It´s just part of many people´s production work!

Thanks for listening,

cheers, VRW

PS the 10.1.3 update is really good work anyway as it has solved several other problems as it was loosing audio, several errors etc. PT works def better with 10.1.3 again! Thanks for it.

iMac 3.06GHz, MacOs 10.7.3, Digi003R, PT10.1.3, Waves v9, IK Multimedia, SSL Duende Native etc.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:05 PM

Default Re: 10.1.2/10.1.3 crashes when changing Playback Engine settings

DTS-
Same issues here on either 10.1.2 or 10.1.3.

However, I'm not experiencing constant buffer errors. I'm actually able to work mostly without a hitch. I've got my machines (both 10.7.3 and 10.1.3) completely tuned to Pro Tools "by the book," and I'm able to get work done.

These are, however, the 2 crashes I get consistently:

-Immediate crash when changing buffer sizes in Playback Engine

-Occasional crash in editing when quantizing a clip of audio by using CMD-O shortcut. Seems to only happen when the clip I'm quantizing has been flown-in from another part of the track and already has edit-smoothing crossfades on the handles.

Here are the 2 temporary workarounds I've discovered through a combination of luck and trial & error:

-If I need to change buffer sizes: I make the change in the playback engine and hit "ok," then *immediately* start hitting CMD-S repeatedly when the "spinning beach ball" starts just before the subsequent PT crash.
When I re-start PT, the buffer change has taken effect. Your mileage may vary, of course!
On a lighter note, I discovered this by complete luck. I went to change the buffer setting after updating to 10.1.3, saw the beach ball, and started ANGRILY banging CMD-S while yelling "Noooooooo!" in TOTAL slow-motion.

-I'm in intensive editing for a commercial release right now, so to guard against losing edits; I've gotten in the habit of constantly hitting CMD-S to the point of it being a subconscious action. I literally hit it before and after any clip/region flying I need to do... Just to be safe.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:17 AM

Thought I'd share my experiences with this issue. It's only happened with a session at 96kHz, when I go to change the buffer after a "6101" error. Roughly 30 tracks. Not a huge amount of plugins. Can't recreate the issue with sessions at a lower sample rate.

Other info:
Host Processors: 7 (out of 8)
CPU limit: 80%
Host Engine: unticked
Delay comp:max
Plugin streaming buffer: Level 1

Macbook Pro 2GHz Core i7, 8 GB ram
OSX Lion 10.7.3
Pro Tools 10.1.3
Glyph GPT50 External FW800 drive
Metric Halo 2882
Old 04-29-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChance View Post
…I've gotten in the habit of constantly hitting CMD-S to the point of it being a subconscious action. I literally hit it before and after any clip/region flying I need to do... Just to be safe.
Amen, brother. In every single application I use — InDesign, Finale, Word, PT, you name it — CMD-S is part of my zeitgeist. Literally every few seconds, I save. I teach Finale at The Hartt School at the U. of Hartford, and that's one of the main things I try to drill into my students' heads.

I tell them about a disaster I had back in 1991 while I had been sequencing a piece in an Ensoniq synth, where I somehow managed to reinitialize the synth and then save the reinitialized system to the floppy drive, and that usually convinces 'em that I'm serious. I did have a backup floppy, but I only did that at the end of the session, so as not to be switching discs like crazy for hours. The result was that I only lost a few hours' work, rather than several months' work. It truly sucked, but it could have been much, much worse…

So I preach, and practice what I preach: Save early, save often.

And then, every single document I have, whether Finale scores, or PT sessions, or my iTunes library, or InDesign documents, is backed up on multiple drives, internal and external. Any my systems are backed up both in Time Machine and I have additional bootable backups that I make with Carbon Copy Cloner.

Belt, suspenders, duct tape, Velcro, staples, twine…

AS far as PT goes, I'm one of the lucky ones who has found the program to be extremely stable for me since version 8, but still, no matter what I'm doing, CMD-S is an automatic finger stroke, both while I'm recording and while I'm editing. This way, if something happens, I lose at worst a few seconds' of work.

Of course, this muscle-memory action has at least one unintended consequence: In my day job, where I'm working on a PC, I can't tell you how many times I unthinkingly hit ALT-S.
Finale 26.3.1
Old 04-30-2012, 09:44 AM

gtomassetti:
No doubt, sir. I actually had a fellow producer friend tell me this about 5 years ago when I first started learning Pro Tools & Macs.
As a result, I'm in the habit of "CMD-S" on some level anyway... But these recent glitches have truly made it second nature!

In many cases, the auto-backup in Pro Tools is a life-saver in itself. But when you're working quickly in editing with lots of keystrokes, you'd be surprised how much work you can lose in those 5 minute periods between auto-backups!

CMD-S is definitely your friend.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:34 PM

I can confirm this bug also.

If I change buffer from 512 to 1024, I get the spinning cursor then it crashes shortly after.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:36 AM

Ditto.

Yes i can confirm also.
Changing from a low to a higher buffer, i get the spinning ball and it crashes.
I,m also occasionally getting the sound output distorting to an inaudible noise.
This with just a few tracks.

Mac mini i7
Mac os Lion 10.7.3
PT 10.1.3

Jay.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:39 AM

Digi Tech Support... Are we making any headway with these issues?
Old 05-02-2012, 10:48 AM

ugggghhhh!!! This has happened to me ever since the 10.1.2 "update" I'm just finally free enough to log on. I still am having to use workarounds for the 1024 buffer issues on occasion too when i change something in prefs etc. Stop rushing the upgrades and do some testing first please. Does Avid want to be known for customers worrying about what is wrong with each upgrade/update???

***Reason rewired still doesn't sync on the "1" (since PT9), the 1024 buffer has been quirky (since PT10), now PT crashes every time the buffer is changed during a session (since PT 10.1.2) Worst thing about it is we paid for this "upgrade." Why do i still defend PT when everyone jokes that the testers are the same 5 people answering the phones? How can we try to have legitimate sessions when this happens? It's sad that i'm already numb to restarts and crashes. PT10 is the buggiest PT version. That's right... i said buggiest. Now off to restart my session and go back to work. uhhh, i mean workarounds! Have a great day! I've posted these above problems since the day PT10 came out, but no fix. new bugs though...