Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 05-20-2009, 07:52 AM

Default Defraging Audio HDrive Converted Fat32 to Raw

I almost never defrag an audio drive. I just buy a new one when it gets to about 25% capacity left. There are mixed recommendations in this forum regarding whether to defrag an audio drive. My strict rule in the studio is to never do it. However, I had a 'tech" guy in the studio a few weeks ago to trouble shoot a registry corruption issue which he repaired, but he also thought that defraging the audio drive would be of benefit, and, unfortuneately, my studio business partner ok'd it without confering with me first. Well, the next time we fired up the system, there appeared an error message indicating that the audio dirve was "not a windows xp" drive and could not be recognized. It populated as a drive but when you clicked on it for properties or to expand it, the system froze. My tech guy assured me that he had not reformatted the drive. We later discoverd that the drive format had been converted from Fat32 to Raw.

Does digidesign recommend defraging an audio drive? And, has anyone had his file format convert from Fat32 to Raw after defraging, or after any other procedure or malfunction?

We managed to retrieve all the files after $200 dollars of tech support and a new hard drive on which to transfer the files. I know, I should have had a backup. I did further research and found out that it might have had something to do with the drives boot system defect or something call MRP or MPR (not sure if that's even right). The fix for this was to repair the hard drives boot system, but my tech instead just used a program I purchased for the purpose of recovering files.

I always understood that because of the tolerances envolved in multi track audio playback and recording, defragging a drive mignt do more harm than good because it would affect syncronization, particulary with large track counts. Also, I can recall a time or two in the past that when I defragged an audio drive, it resulted in pro tools having to re-link audio files.

Anyone care to discuss. Digi Support?
Collections, Personal Injury, Entertainment Law
myspace.com/studio89rocks
Old 05-20-2009, 08:33 AM

Default Re: Defraging Audio HDrive Converted Fat32 to Raw

It's not a good idea to defrag unless you move your sessions off (like back them up on a DVD or drag to another drive) then defrag, then drag them back.
Hate to sound ignorant, but isn't NTFS the preferred file structure these days? What's
RAW?
Old 05-20-2009, 09:01 AM

Digidesign recommends copying all data off the audio record drive, formatting the audio record drive as Basic>NTFS>32 k cluster size (some back in the day have suggested 64 k cluster size for audio), then copying the data back to the audio record drive.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 05-20-2009, 09:15 AM

I'm still using LE 7.1 which uses Fat32. Haven't the courage to update because of all the issues with subsequent updates. I would have thrown my whole system in the Bayou by now if I had dared to install 8.0.

Am very happy using Reaper as my main platform now, but use Pro Tools when I absolutely have to use a plugin or two not available in Reaper.
Collections, Personal Injury, Entertainment Law
myspace.com/studio89rocks
Old 05-20-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanguidry View Post
I'm still using LE 7.1 which uses Fat32. Haven't the courage to update because of all the issues with subsequent updates. I would have thrown my whole system in the Bayou by now if I had dared to install 8.0.

Am very happy using Reaper as my main platform now, but use Pro Tools when I absolutely have to use a plugin or two not available in Reaper.
LE 7.1 will use NTFS, but you can just do as I said above formatting as Fat 32 rather than NTFS.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 05-20-2009, 05:17 PM

I've been recording to NTFS drives since 6.4. Having said that, I ALWAYS have a backup plan.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-21-2009, 12:53 AM

+1 for a solid backup strategy.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com