Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 12-07-2022, 03:27 AM

Default Reverb

Im trying to mix pop multitracks for the first time.Should i stick to one reverb type/room for all instruments/vocals? or use various types for each instrument? and which room types are used when?
Old 12-07-2022, 03:36 AM

Default Re: Reverb

Unfortunately there really isn’t a quick answer to this - it’s a bit like asking which chords to use when writing a song. A great place to start could be the great books by Bobby Ownsinski (Recording Engineers Handbook/Mix Engineers Handbook). They can start to give you some ideas and approaches for building mixes. The rest really is up to you. There are some common conventions, but there are so many variables it’s impossible to give blanket guidance.

Hope that helps a little.
Old 12-07-2022, 05:00 AM

You should stick to the reverbs of what ever the mixing engineer you should hire for mixing it.

From your question I understand you are not an experienced mixing engineer and you should

a) start learning about it, with hard work maybe a couple of years you might get there, or
b) hire a proper mixer to do it, and also learn from him.
Old 12-07-2022, 05:01 AM

I mostly work on music that emulates a band performance. Thus I try to create a somewhat realistic environment. So I tend to pick and use a single reverb for all the instruments in the track. Then I vary the amount of reverb as one technique to place individual instruments forward or back in the mix. I often use different delays on different instruments to vary the tone and excitement level. Of course all this is just a general style, if you will…

All that said, in the throws of the creative process I may toss all that out the metaphorical window.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCw...ogfR_7Q/videos

------------------------------------------------------
PT2023.12, OS X Monterey, Late 2013 MacPro, 6 core, 64 GB RAM, Orion Studio, Slate Raven MTi2, ISA428, ADL600, Distressor, Grace 501, Dimedio, Obsidian, One LA, BAC500, Harrison 32 EQ, UAD2 OCTO, Focal 6 be, Auratones...
Old 12-07-2022, 05:45 AM

With no access to your material, try this as a starting point:
- plate for vocal
- room for drums
- hall for master mix (only about 5-10%, don't overdo it)
Old 12-07-2022, 06:09 AM

Most of the time I use a hardware reverb (Lexicon 300L). I haven't found a plug-in I like as much for the type of music I generally record.

I use it as my main reverb for vocals, acoustic guitar, and usually drums.

That being said, I use other reverbs for electric guitars (UAD Plate, an old tube Fender Reverb Unit from 1963). There are a few other reverbs I may use here and there for VIs, etc....

If you're starting out I would say get used to how a reverb plugin works (parameters) vs using presets and use one. Many times when we start recording way too much reverb is used.

Once you get familiar with the different reverb types (plate, chamber, hall, spring, etc...) and how the parameters (pre-delay, diffusion, etc..) work then I would start using other types.

Listen to some of your favorite recordings and then try to match the type to what it is and make some notes.

Avid, Universal Audio, and Waves provide fantastic manuals that are often overlooked. Maybe start with a Plugin like D-Verb.

https://resources.avid.com/SupportFi...ide_2018.1.pdf

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/sparkletune/
Old 12-07-2022, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayag1234 View Post
Im trying to mix pop multitracks for the first time.Should i stick to one reverb type/room for all instruments/vocals? or use various types for each instrument? and which room types are used when?
There's no rules, but I think you'll find most mixers use multiple reverbs in a mix - as a beginner, you should probably try to keep it simple - maybe two or three types and get comfortable with that. I could happily do a convincing small group mix with a good plate and nothing else, and a classical ensemble mix with just a good hall, but I usually end up with 3 or 4 plus other kinds of ambience (short/medium/long delays, etc).

Valhalla DSP's reverbs are fantastic value for money and would be a good place to start to experiment; IMO Valhalla Plate and Valhalla Vintage Verb would give you all the palettes you need to start with.

Have fun!

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 12-07-2022, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayag1234 View Post
I'd say start with one 'send/return' reverb. (In case you don't know, this means creating an aux track with a reverb insert on it, and creating a send on every track you want to have reverb on it. This was very common in analog days when you maybe had only one reverb because they were very expensive.)

With this technique, there is also a benefit that all tracks sharing the reverb will have this sonic quality in common, and seem to 'sit in the same room'.

Then, you might find that some tracks need something extra, and put delays etc on individual tracks.

Remember to 'solo-safe' the reverb aux. (cmd-click solo button on aux track.)
Old 12-07-2022, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
...all tracks sharing the reverb will have this sonic quality in common, and seem to 'sit in the same room'.

Then, you might find that some tracks need something extra, and put delays etc on individual tracks.
THIS

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCw...ogfR_7Q/videos

------------------------------------------------------
PT2023.12, OS X Monterey, Late 2013 MacPro, 6 core, 64 GB RAM, Orion Studio, Slate Raven MTi2, ISA428, ADL600, Distressor, Grace 501, Dimedio, Obsidian, One LA, BAC500, Harrison 32 EQ, UAD2 OCTO, Focal 6 be, Auratones...
Old 12-07-2022, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
With this technique, there is also a benefit that all tracks sharing the reverb will have this sonic quality in common, and seem to 'sit in the same room'.

You also might find that some tracks don't need reverb at all and are better in the mix completely dry. Sometimes it's the contrast between wet and dry that can create a sense of depth.